PDA

View Full Version : Sick squirrel advice for his home

mrsmlfb
01-13-2017, 01:23 PM
My little guy has been having serious health issues and been in hospital form3 days. I just got him home and want to be extra safe on everything bc he isn't out of woods yet. He has injured him self somehow.. and is having neurological issues. Mostly what's left is teeth chattering and pain I think... he is getting calcium supplements now tongelpnrule out mbd.

Few other things I want to be sure of...

1. Bedding- in past I have used carefresh natural paper bedding as well as the aspen pine. Knowing he is a chewer are these both safe?

2. I have used then paper liners below that (no plastic) are they safe for him? Again, he is a chewer? If not wood newspaper be better?

Thanks!!!

SammysMom
01-13-2017, 01:57 PM
So sorry that your baby is sick! What many of us use is fleece and for litter pans I use Carefresh. They really like lots of fleece to snuggle into though.

KarmaKay
01-13-2017, 02:12 PM
I go to the goodwill and buy baby blankets. They are super soft snugly and warm :grin2:grin2

Chickenlegs
01-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Fleece is on sale at JoAnns this weekend. Great stuff and it can be bleached! It's very comforting for a little guy to snuggle into and under.

island rehabber
01-13-2017, 02:36 PM
My little guy has been having serious health issues and been in hospital form3 days. I just got him home and want to be extra safe on everything bc he isn't out of woods yet. He has injured him self somehow.. and is having neurological issues. Mostly what's left is teeth chattering and pain I think... he is getting calcium supplements now tongelpnrule out mbd.

Few other things I want to be sure of...

1. Bedding- in past I have used carefresh natural paper bedding as well as the aspen pine. Knowing he is a chewer are these both safe?

2. I have used then paper liners below that (no plastic) are they safe for him? Again, he is a chewer? If not wood newspaper be better?

Thanks!!!

Forgive me, but the first thing we often think of when a squirrel is suddenly in pain, chattering teeth, and displaying neurological symptoms is metabolic bone disease (MBD). Can you give us an idea of what his daily diet is like? You won't believe how much diet makes a difference between life and death for these guys.