PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the use of Ibuprofren

Squeekhart
01-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Hi, I am new this month. I am not a professional in the medical or vet fields. (I do much personal research on human nutrition, naturopath remedies in my free time, however.)

Just in case this has not been covered: A lot of folks do not realize how hard ibuprofren (pain reliever) can be on kidneys in humans. I mention this, for if it is harsh on our systems, it may possibly be rough on a squirrel's system also? Someone with vet skills can verify or nullify this.

Even though it is right on the label that if a human takes a dose of advil/ibuprofren, it is vital to do so with 2 (TWO!) glasses (16 ounces!) of water. The failure to do this can result in serious kidney troubles.

I recall in the university dorms, us gals would get PMS and just down Advil for cramps. The warning to always take doses with 2 cups of water never seems important until folks get older, but it makes a huge health difference.

At any rate. I was thinking: Perhaps any ibuprofren dosing for a squirrel ought be accompanied by some hydrating also, to help alleviate or prevent any possible renal/kidney trouble? Maybe dilute the drops?

If this is an overworked subject, please excuse the redundancy. I did not see a post on this yet, and am interested in the advice of a professional.

I wish everyone and their squirrels all of the best.

P.S. I know for me as a human, cranberries actually are great for kidney issues. Fresh or fresh frozen ones blended in a smoothie with some yogurt add a light, sweet, quenchy flavor. I wonder if squirrels can eat cranberries, or if giving a cranberry product can help a squirrel with kidney issues the way it helps a human? Just wondering. :)

SammysMom
01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Thank-you for your post and your information! It is a good reminder to all of us! As for cranberries, I give them every day when they are available at the grocery store. :w00t

CritterMom
01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Most people don't use it for more than a day or two and often not more than a dose or two. There is a fine line with pain control with animals - they will shut down and stop eating and drinking if they hurt too bad and that is very dangerous.

Something that may put your mind at ease is that the dose we generally recommend is 1/3 of the max dose, so the total amount is quite small as well. And since we always push hydration when they are sick, we accidentally have taken care of that issue!

We don't have very good choices in pain meds - it is NSAIDS with all their issues or narcotics which are problematic and have no anti-inflammatory properties. And that is for humans as well as squirrels!