PDA

View Full Version : Lucy White Squirrel's first teeth trim (by vet)

Dobby
01-10-2017, 01:33 PM
It's been a while since I posted on here. Back in the summer I where given 2 baby squirrels that had fallen out of a tree.

Lucy, one of the babies now grown, is still in my care. I had noticed her teeth looked a little funny. so after watching the way she ate for a few weeks I felt she needed a real examination.

Our appt was this morning where it we found her teeth where misaligned and on the verge of causing problems. The vet trimmed her teeth under anesthesia. She seems to be feeling much better. He said I would have to come back every 4-6 weeks to keep her teeth in check. He said there was an option of surgery to remove her teeth all together but stressed that his was very risky.... and made it seem like he didn't feel comfortable doing it .

At this point I guess I'll keep an eye on her and bring her back for another trim in a month or so. Not sure of I could do it myself

He believed the problem with her teeth was from when she and her brother fell from a tree as babies.. her brother has been released months ago and I have not seen him lately... I still have Lucy because of her unique color

Dobby
01-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Few more pics form just now. She is definitely eating with more ease

TubeDriver
01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
She is a beautiful squirrel! :dance Those teeth definitely required trimming. Your vet is correct, removing the incisors is a MAJOR and somewhat risky surgical procedure since it involves removing teeth that have deep roots in the sinus area which is full of bone and is a complex circulatory region. Trimming will be required ~monthly, however there is a chance that her teeth will "reset" and start wearing themselves down in a normal manner. Only time will tell if this will happen. Some people here feel comfortable trimming the teeth themselves, other use a vet. In the meantime, you can provide plenty of chew toy type items (pumice stones, antlers, wood sticks etc) which might help slow down the overgrowth.

Dobby
01-10-2017, 02:49 PM
That would be ideal if her teeth "reset" themselves. My fingers are crossed that that happens! The vet did suggest giving her hard things to chew on . She has a deer antler already she is fond of

Anne
01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
I routinely trim a friend of mines squirrel's teeth. I use special very sharp jewelers cutters. You have to be careful and guard the squirrels tongue and lips, but many of us do trimming every few weeks. My vet taught me how, using anesthesia constantly is not optimal for either the squirrel or the bank account,

island rehabber
01-10-2017, 03:25 PM
You are very fortunate that you are not that far away from the best squirrel dental expert on the planet: Dr Emerson. She can always be consulted if your girl's toofers don't straighten out. :great

Chickenlegs
01-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Your baby's teeth look like my Kelly's teeth did last fall. As of this second, Kelly's teeth look SO much better after trimming them short. She has been declared NR by a local vet but since that visit, they've improved enough that she will take on a nut now. She still has a perpetually snotty nose so that's another issue that may keep her out of the trees but at least the teeth are better and there's hope. Your baby girl is a beauty!

Dobby
01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
You are very fortunate that you are not that far away from the best squirrel dental expert on the planet: Dr Emerson. She can always be consulted if your girl's toofers don't straighten out. :great

Can you direct me to more info on Dr Emerson?

Milo's Mom
01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Dr. Alicia Emerson
Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic

4540 S Clyde Morris Blvd, Port Orange, FL 32129
(386) 788-1550
ravenwoodvet.net (http://ravenwoodvet.net)
Today : 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

DaSquirrelMom
01-10-2017, 10:23 PM
OMG...I just saw her photo. She is sooooooo beautiful!

Dobby
01-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Very much Appreciated Milo's Mom!

And thank you for the reply everyone else! Lucy and I appreciate the help :grin2

Rhapsody
01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Beautiful squirrel........ :serene

Anne
01-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Lucy looks exactly like the squirrels in Brevard,NC. The squirrels all have a tiny patch or mark of grey fur on their bodies. The NC squirrels reportedly came from our Florida panhandle. She is certainly a beauty!
You will love Dr.E! She is not only a wonderful vet, but a great person! We are so fortunate to have her here. I am a little over an hour from her here in Orange Park, well worth the drive!!!

Dobby
01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
It's been a little over 2 weeks since Lucy's trim. I caught a glimpse of her teeth and it looks to me they are still growing in the same bad way. I was hoping they would RE-set (wishful thinking). She still had issues cracking nuts this is the best pic I could get

Chickenlegs
01-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Talk to Sweeper. "Mama Squirrel" came to her with horrible teeth. It took quite a bit of time for her teeth to straighten. I have a little girl--Kelly. Her teeth are wonky. They're better but she won't be going anywhere for quite a while. Patience.

TubeDriver
01-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Still to early to say, it might take several trimmings before they "reset".

grampyngramy
02-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Good luck with her teeth. I pray they straighten out.
white squirrels were created in a lab and they escaped or were released. So my daughters research claims. I guess after seeing a black squirrel in the wild someone devided to do the reverse.

Dobby
02-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Since it already looks like Lucy needs a trim again, I made an appointment to see Dr Emerson next week. It's only an hour and half drive so totally worth it.

I'm feeling pretty good that she can help Lucy and I out

Anne
02-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Both of you are going to love Dr.E!

Pfcrane
10-06-2020, 07:05 PM
What was the final outcome on Lucy's teeth? I also have a Lucy's with teeth problems. I've trimmed what I can see but one upper tooth seems to be pushed back. I'm near Cincinnati. Local rehabbers are helping me with my squirrels.

Mel1959
10-06-2020, 08:20 PM
This is a 3 year old thread.

Can your rehabber friends help you get your squirrel seen by a vet where an X-ray can be taken? I know of a vet in Strongsville, OH, but I’m not sure if she will see squirrels and not confiscate unless you’re working with someone with a license.

Pfcrane
10-07-2020, 07:59 AM
This is a 3 year old thread.

Can your rehabber friends help you get your squirrel seen by a vet where an X-ray can be taken? I know of a vet in Strongsville, OH, but I’m not sure if she will see squirrels and not confiscate unless you’re working with someone with a license.

Yes. A member of Second Chance Wildlife Rehab is going to help me see a vet. Lucy is doing better. Eats as well as her sister and very slight breath sounds from her nose/mouth.