PDA

View Full Version : Lilo's urges to explore, and my family

Eejay
01-07-2017, 08:43 PM
I have had lilo since august. When she was small still she was exposed briefly to my family. As she got older she became aggressive if they came in "our" bedroom. So they stopped going in the room.
Lately she has been so damn determined to get out of her room, and i gave in and let her out to explore. She is very cautious outside of her room and i am always right behind her when she is.
When my children (all grown up) happen to be around she is not aggressive to them outside of the room. We are very cautious still. Lol i nag not to have any bare skin exposed and for them to protect their faces and hands just in case.
Could her being territorial of our room be the reason she was aggressive before..and them being in a different part of the house ( that is new to her) be a reason she pretty much ignores them when she does get out. I only let her explore for about 10 minutes at a time outside her room.

island rehabber
01-07-2017, 08:47 PM
I'm thinking this is territorial, yes. The problem will be if, at some later date, she begins to consider the entire house as HERS. Then she won't tolerate anyone else in it. Hopefully other members who have free-ranging squirrels will weigh in on this one.

Gardentoes11
01-08-2017, 09:32 AM
As I was reading your post, at first, when you were talking about her getting aggressive & your family no longer coming in the room, I was thinking "yep, typical!" Then when you talked about her free ranging in other parts of the house, I freaked a little & got really nervous. I think you're playing with fire, & it's only a matter of time until you're posting about how your sweet baby suddenly turned into Satan incarnate when your family came over. Squirrel attacks are no joke! My Jazzy attacked my ankle badly a few months ago, & he loves me dearly! He was guarding a nut that I didn't realize was nearby, & my ankle will be permanently scarred now. There's no way I'd take a chance with anyone else being subjected to injuries like that! If your girlie is going to have the run of the house, I'd recommend that it only be when no one else is home. That's the only way to be safe about it.

Eejay
01-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Thank you. I figured i would ask for advice. I was hoping there was a chance she would be accepting of them in the living room area if they leave her alone. But if experienced people say its a bad idea..then i accept it would be a bad idea. I was wondering if she seemed ok with it just because its a whole new area to her and she is focused on exploring instead of the fact there are other people in here.
You also mentioned your ankle attack... Since Lilo was first introduced to nuts. I would give her little back scratchies while she was eatting it..so far she is still accepting of this. She sits on my lap eatting her nut most times... Am i playing with fire doing this ? I was hoping it would prevent her showing nut aggression towards me. But i will stop if there is a chance she could surprise attack.
My children are usually only around to visit on weekends. So it wont be an issue keeping her away from them.

KarmaKay
01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
As I was reading your post, at first, when you were talking about her getting aggressive & your family no longer coming in the room, I was thinking "yep, typical!" Then when you talked about her free ranging in other parts of the house, I freaked a little & got really nervous. I think you're playing with fire, & it's only a matter of time until you're posting about how your sweet baby suddenly turned into Satan incarnate when your family came over. Squirrel attacks are no joke! My Jazzy attacked my ankle badly a few months ago, & he loves me dearly! He was guarding a nut that I didn't realize was nearby, & my ankle will be permanently scarred now. There's no way I'd take a chance with anyone else being subjected to injuries like that! If your girlie is going to have the run of the house, I'd recommend that it only be when no one else is home. That's the only way to be safe about it.
Gardentoes I completely agree with you! I'm still new to squirrels, but am gaining experience after 1 1/2 years and 5 healthy happy releases later. I made the mistake of having Larry my first squirrel out and he attacked my friend. Luckily it was just a few scratches and a small bite. I've learned from then on to never have them out around other people. It's illegal in most states unless you're licensed, which I'm proud to say that. I am officially an Illinois wildlife rehabilitator. Anyway, I wouldn't allow her out around others. 👍🏻😁

KarmaKay
01-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Thank you. I figured i would ask for advice. I was hoping there was a chance she would be accepting of them in the living room area if they leave her alone. But if experienced people say its a bad idea..then i accept it would be a bad idea. I was wondering if she seemed ok with it just because its a whole new area to her and she is focused on exploring instead of the fact there are other people in here.
You also mentioned your ankle attack... Since Lilo was first introduced to nuts. I would give her little back scratchies while she was eatting it..so far she is still accepting of this. She sits on my lap eatting her nut most times... Am i playing with fire doing this ? I was hoping it would prevent her showing nut aggression towards me. But i will stop if there is a chance she could surprise attack.
My children are usually only around to visit on weekends. So it wont be an issue keeping her away from them.
Has anyone found that grey squirrels tend to be more food aggressive than the fox squirrels? Or is it based on each individual squirrel?

Gardentoes11
01-08-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm glad you're open to advice, Eejay--would hate for your family to suffer if you weren't! As for petting your baby while she's eating nuts, I'm glad she'll let you do that. Jazzy used to be sweet that way, but now (1.5 yrs old) he truly does a Jekyll & Hyde personality change whenever there's a nut involved! When I give him one, he takes it in his mouth & swats me with his claws--I'm sure he'd bite me if his jaws weren't full of his treasure! He gets SO NASTY over nuts, but he's such a sweet, gentle, loving boy all the rest of the time. I truly understand where the term "going nuts" comes from! I don't know if your girlie will turn on you--these little squirts can be so unpredictable. Jasper will hide other treats actually on my body--just last week he hid a blueberry, some cheerios, a squirrel block, a slice of sweet potato, and a piece of dog food (don't ask!) under my hair--but the nuts are ALL HIS! Just back off if she starts chattering her teeth while she's got a nut & you're petting her--that sound means that she's about to nail you!

Eejay
01-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Haha.yes i know what you mean..Lilo has attempted to hide food in my hair and clothing as well..im like hell no..not risking her getting protective of my hair bun or hoodie.