PDA

View Full Version : Help! My squirrel seems fatigued

Otter
12-23-2016, 10:21 PM
I have a 1 year old southern flying squirrel who lately has seemed to be a lot more fatigued. Won't play as long as he normally will. He has this little sleeping coconut inside his cage that he sleeps in once put up, and normally he won't go into his cage willingly and if he chooses to sleep it will be in my closet in one of my jacket pockets. Is this new tiredness or unwillingness to want to play as long from the colder weather or the season? I'm in Texas and it was recently cold, but today was warm so it's not a consistent weather pattern. I'm hoping he's not sick or becoming sick.

Rexie
12-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Is he eating and drinking Normal? What about his poops and pees, do they look normal? Also check his teeth to make sure they are ok, could be mouth pain making him feel bad?

Nancy in New York
12-23-2016, 11:09 PM
What exactly does his diet consist of?
Not what you are offering him, but what he actually eats.

Otter
12-23-2016, 11:16 PM
He seems to be eating and drinking normal. He loves nuts of all kinds. Likes snap peas the best right now- anything green really. he has his moments where he's super active and wants to continue playing but then there's days he just wants to sleep.

Otter
12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
I think his teeth are normal. I know it's breeding season (or so I think) so around his testicles he hurts or is uncomfortable and doesn't want to be touched around there. But he will be super spontaneous and active then just randomly want to sleep.

Rexie
12-25-2016, 11:52 PM
I think his teeth are normal. I know it's breeding season (or so I think) so around his testicles he hurts or is uncomfortable and doesn't want to be touched around there. But he will be super spontaneous and active then just randomly want to sleep.

How old is your baby? Maybe just maturing and slowing down some, just a thought. I don't have any experience with flyers.

HRT4SQRLS
12-26-2016, 05:41 AM
He seems to be eating and drinking normal. He loves nuts of all kinds. Likes snap peas the best right now- anything green really. he has his moments where he's super active and wants to continue playing but then there's days he just wants to sleep.
Otter, I wanted to follow up on this and review the diet. The line, "He loves nuts of all kinds" concerns me. I totally agree that all squirrels including flyers LOVE nuts but nuts are SUPER unhealthy. If he is eating too many nut he is at risk for Metabolic Bone Disease. Nuts should only be given as treats. The bones of flying squirrels are extremely tiny so a diet with too many nuts will manifest as MBD faster in a flyer than a grey squirrel. Diet is critical for ALL squirrels.

I like the fact that he likes his greens. That is definitely a positive. :)

FYI, flyers do sleep a lot but let's review the diet to rule that out.

czarina
12-26-2016, 07:37 AM
You are in EXCELLENT HANDS with HRT4SQRLS!!!!:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug
And I am in complete agreement, start with the basics, so she can rule out certain symptoms, and hopefully figure out what is going on with your little guy.