PDA

View Full Version : Michigan HELP needed ASAP Black Squirrel with bad leg

Barry919
12-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Last night I saw a Black squirrel, that I have been feeding all summer, hanging from the fence by his back leg. He had twisted himself several times before I could get to him. i succeeded in freeing him but the leg has a spiral fracture and the flesh is twisted in a knot. I have called all the vets in Cadillac and none want to help. The DNR said just let him loose and he will adapt. I asked about the leg and he said just let it go he will adapt, Well, I am NOT doing that. I have never attempted to keep a squirrel as a pet. Where do I start?

Scott
12-20-2016, 12:52 PM
You start exactly where you are right now, at the Squirrel Board. I am not an expert but there are several on the site that will be communicating shortly with you, I promise. Just stay close by your computer. Do you have it in captivity right now? If so, what type of container is it in? Does it have water?

Barry919
12-20-2016, 12:59 PM
I have him in a cat carrier with the door open in a large dog crate. He has food and water.

Barry919
12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
A picture of the injured guy

DarkLies212
12-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Give him a bunch of old tshirts or fleece to snuggle in. His nails can and will get caught in the towels.

Put a heating pad on low half under the cage he's in that way he can crawl off if he gets too hot.

Do you have ANY medication? Infant ibuprofin will be needed for the pain. Meds aren't my specialty at all, just getting a list for those with way more experience than me.

Offer some water as dehydration sets in quickly.

What foods have you offered?

How big are the holes in the dog kennel? If he gets out of the safety of the carrier, he may get out of the kennel if it's like a normal dog kennel..

Keep him away from any other pets and loud noises. Keep the room dark to help calm him.

Also - THANK YOU for taking him/her in and not just letting him/her adapt :hug

Barry919
12-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Give him a bunch of old tshirts or fleece to snuggle in. His nails can and will get caught in the towels.

Put a heating pad on low half under the cage he's in that way he can crawl off if he gets too hot.

Do you have ANY medication? Infant ibuprofin will be needed for the pain. Meds aren't my specialty at all, just getting a list for those with way more experience than me.

Offer some water as dehydration sets in quickly.

What foods have you offered?

How big are the holes in the dog kennel? If he gets out of the safety of the carrier, he may get out of the kennel if it's like a normal dog kennel..

Keep him away from any other pets and loud noises. Keep the room dark to help calm him.

Also - THANK YOU for taking him/her in and not just letting him/her adapt :hug
The holes in the dog crate are quite small. maybe an inch by two inches. he really isn't moving much. there is water there but I will have to put it closer to him i am at work now so I am anxious to get back to care for him, I don't have other than the food i have fed him all summer sunflower seed and corn on the cob. what should i have for him??? What do i do about the damaged leg??

Nancy in New York
12-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Reach out to these 2 members via pm.
Perhaps they can guide you to someone in your area.

Payton0708@msn.com and gretzie

They are both licensed rehabbers in Michigan, though
I'm not sure where.

Thank you for helping this little one.:grouphug

If you can get infant ibuprophen we can dose by guesstimating the weight.
You can put the medicine on a pecan half out of the shell.
That will help with pain and swelling.

Also if you can get something more in his crate, that he can burrow under
he will feel more relaxed. Nothing with loops as they can easily catch their nails on the loops.

Edit: I changed the title of your thread to hopefully get more attention.

Spanky
12-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Here is an additional option...

http://farmwildlife.org/

HRT4SQRLS
12-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Barry, it looks like the rehab center in Lowell is about 90 miles from you. I know that's quite a distance but I would definitely give her a call. She might be able to direct you to a vet. She will have contacts in your state. Just so you know, this is a fabulous place. A member here (Madame Lipstick) used this place and she was very impressed with this lady. She released her boys for her and that would have never happened if she had ANY reservations. Reach out to this center. We are VERY careful who we refer people to. We don't just recommend ANY rehab center. This one has been vetted.

Spanky
12-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Reach out to this center. We are VERY careful who we refer people to. We don't just recommend ANY rehab center. This one has been vetted.

Yes, absolutely. Positively. Sorry for the abbreviated post earlier, I had not much time...

I was visiting Michigan a few years ago and came across an injured squirrel in the road and contacted her. He was fairly severely injured and she took great care of him and after a few months of care was able to return him to the trees. She took exceptional care of Hank, and I'd say followed the regiments we here at TSB would have recommended. There are good people doing good work at Lowell Farm & Wildlife Center... :thumbsup

And "Thank You" HRT4SQRLS (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?10092-HRT4SQRLS) for expanding on the recommendation... this is indeed a "fabulous place"!!!

Scott
12-20-2016, 09:07 PM
The holes in the dog crate are quite small. maybe an inch by two inches. he really isn't moving much. there is water there but I will have to put it closer to him i am at work now so I am anxious to get back to care for him, I don't have other than the food i have fed him all summer sunflower seed and corn on the cob. what should i have for him??? What do i do about the damaged leg?? .

YOU DID EVERY THING RIGHT.

Scott
12-20-2016, 09:20 PM
For his leg, I promise you just LISTEN and do what the experts say ...your beautiful BLACK squirrel will get better ... But please remind them, you are considering, a squirrel-pet.... so they know ... a lot of people that get on this site .. will be releasing their squirrels at the end of winter...... as maybe in your case, YOU SHOULD ....... let it GO BACK TO THE TREES ..

Squirrellove10
12-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Any updates?