PDA

View Full Version : Baby squirrel possibly bruised

Ashlynn
12-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Hello, my 7-8 week old eastern gray squirrel baby was very dirty this afternoon, he managed to poo on his blanket, then sleep on it, so as soon as we got home this afternoon I ran him a warm bath in the sink. As I let him soak (while holding his little head safely above water of course) I noticed his belly has a very dark spot. You can't see the spot through his dry fur but it was very visible when his fur was wet. I'm concerned he has fallen or hit his chest/belly too hard while playing. He has been learning to stand on his back feet the past few days. He was 3-4 weeks old when I found him and only had white peach fuzz on his belly so I know the dark spot wasn't there before. He is moving well, playing like a little wild man, and weighed 215 grams this morning.

SammysMom
12-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Welcome! I moved your thread to nonlife threatening to get more attention on it. How is your baby acting? Does he seem in pain?

SammysMom
12-10-2016, 10:03 PM
What formula are you giving, how much and how often? Tell us what else and how much he eats every day. These things will help us to help you!:Love_Icon

stepnstone
12-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Hello, my 7-8 week old eastern gray squirrel baby was very dirty this afternoon, he managed to poo on his blanket, then sleep on it, so as soon as we got home this afternoon I ran him a warm bath in the sink. As I let him soak (while holding his little head safely above water of course) I noticed his belly has a very dark spot. You can't see the spot through his dry fur but it was very visible when his fur was wet. I'm concerned he has fallen or hit his chest/belly too hard while playing. He has been learning to stand on his back feet the past few days. He was 3-4 weeks old when I found him and only had white peach fuzz on his belly so I know the dark spot wasn't there before. He is moving well, playing like a little wild man, and weighed 215 grams this morning.

Not unusual for one to get bruised rough housing or taking a fall...
How does his over all belly look and feel, is it distended any? Feel soft or hard?
Does he react like it hurts him if you rub over it?
I question the poo, is it soft and and not formed little pellets? Aso have to question
"just learning to stand on his back feet," at his age he should have that down.
Does he appear to have any mobility problems or weakness in legs?

Ashlynn
12-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Not unusual for one to get bruised rough housing or taking a fall...
How does his over all belly look and feel, is it distended any? Feel soft or hard?
Does he react like it hurts him if you rub over it?
I question the poo, is it soft and and not formed little pellets? Aso have to question
"just learning to stand on his back feet," at his age he should have that down.
Does he appear to have any mobility problems or weakness in legs?

His belly looks normal, I didn't notice anything until tonight when he was wet and I could see his skin. There's no changes in his belly as fat as too hard or too soft. It gets bigger right after he has eaten but always returns to normal after a few hours and a poo. His formula is pet ag esbilac, he also nibbles on squirrel blocks from Henry's healthy pets, mixed fresh greens, fresh green beans, and every day or so the tiniest bit of coconut oil. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, and will roll over to have his belly rubbed when playing. Poo is soft, consistent with how it has been since I've had him. No mobility problems or weakness he is fully mobile on all 4s playing and climbing. His balance standing on just his back two feet isn't fully developed yet but is getting better daily

Ashlynn
12-10-2016, 11:43 PM
What formula are you giving, how much and how often? Tell us what else and how much he eats every day. These things will help us to help you!:Love_Icon

He's eating pet ag esilbac, 10-12 cc every 4 hours, and gets 1 squirrel block a day to nibble on along with fresh mixed greeens and fresh green beans daily. Every few days I let him have a tiny drop of coconut oil

Ashlynn
12-10-2016, 11:52 PM

Ashlynn
12-10-2016, 11:53 PM
A281799

Shewhosweptforest
12-11-2016, 12:26 AM
I have noticed some squirrels have that darkening on their bellies. I have a little one I'm overwintering and she has that coloration :dono do you think it could have been like that all along..and you just noticed it when he got wet? He's precious by the way:grin3 thanks for caring for him :bowdown :Love_Icon

Scott
12-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Julie knows

stepnstone
12-11-2016, 12:35 AM
Well he's an adorable little stinker! :Love_Icon
Sounds like your on key with him, I'd just keep an eye on it for any changes and
make sure he's eliminating ok. If it's a bruise it should fade out in a day or so.
He really shouldn't be having soft poos at this age, they should be firm little pellets.
Overfeeding is generally suspect with soft or diarrhea. At 8 weeks you can stretch
his feedings out and cut back to 3 formula feedings per day and I think that will help
firm him up as long as you stay within the 5-7% of his body weight.

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Well he's an adorable little stinker! :Love_Icon
Sounds like your on key with him, I'd just keep an eye on it for any changes and
make sure he's eliminating ok. If it's a bruise it should fade out in a day or so.
He really shouldn't be having soft poos at this age, they should be firm little pellets.
Overfeeding is generally suspect with soft or diarrhea. At 8 weeks you can stretch
his feedings out and cut back to 3 formula feedings per day and I think that will help
firm him up as long as you stay within the 5-7% of his body weight.

Thank you so much! I've been afraid to cut his feedings back since I wasn't 100% positive of his age.His eyes opened on Thanksgiving day. I've even still been feeding once through the night because the idea of a hungry baby breaks my heart. I'll start cutting his feedings back today and keep everyone updated on my little stinker! Thank you again!!:o:o

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 06:00 AM
I have noticed some squirrels have that darkening on their bellies. I have a little one I'm overwintering and she has that coloration :dono do you think it could have been like that all along..and you just noticed it when he got wet? He's precious by the way:grin3 thanks for caring for him :bowdown :Love_Icon

Thank you very much! I don't think the darkening was there when I first got him because he barely had the slightest hint of peach fuzz on his belly so you could see the skin. Its been weeks since you could see any skin on the little guy though and he seems to change and grow daily so it could be something I don't remember or something that happened as he grew I suppose.

SammysMom
12-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Oh good grief! He is precious! I cant believe how he sits in the tub...:rofl4
One question, is the esbilac the liquid or the powdered?

stepnstone
12-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Thank you so much! I've been afraid to cut his feedings back since I wasn't 100% positive of his age.His eyes opened on Thanksgiving day. I've even still been feeding once through the night because the idea of a hungry baby breaks my heart. I'll start cutting his feedings back today and keep everyone updated on my little stinker! Thank you again!!:o:o
Their eyes open pretty much like clock work at 5 weeks so you can start ageing him from there.
Yes, you can safely cut out the through the night feeding at this age and you both can get some sleep. :grin2

One question, is the esbilac the liquid or the powdered?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/facepalm-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif I should have thought about that, thank you! Very good question!

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Their eyes open pretty much like clock work at 5 weeks so you can start ageing him from there.
Yes, you can safely cut out the through the night feeding at this age and you both can get some sleep. :grin2

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/facepalm-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif I should have thought about that, thank you! Very good question!

It's liquid, I've read the powder was better but I've been afraid to switch since the liquid is what I've been giving thus far. I have given small amounts of plain Greek yogurt for extra nutrients, he seems to like that. But normally he just gets formula, - squirrel block and fresh green veggies. Is it ok to change him over to powder Eslibac or to fox valley formula?

Nancy in New York
12-11-2016, 11:05 AM
It's liquid, I've read the powder was better but I've been afraid to switch since the liquid is what I've been giving thus far. I have given small amounts of plain Greek yogurt for extra nutrients, he seems to like that. But normally he just gets formula, - squirrel block and fresh green veggies. Is it ok to change him over to powder Eslibac or to fox valley formula?

You can change him over to whichever. The liquid has caused problems before with diarrhea.
Many do a combo of 1/2 FV 20/50 and half Powdered Puppy Esbilac.
Amazon prime has the Esbilac.
https://www.amazon.com/Esbilac-Powder-Milk-Replacer-Puppies/dp/B0002ASRZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481475643&sr=8-1&keywords=powdered%2Bpuppy%2Besbilac&th=1
Squirrels and more carries both.
https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/collections/milk-replacers
Henry's carries Fox Valley and the squirrel block we recommend.
http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you all for all your help. We are heading to the store now to get him some powder eslibac so he doesn't have to wait for shipping to start his transition over. He's already devoured his Henry's squirrel block today. He has a big appetite for a little fella

Nancy in New York
12-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Thank you all for all your help. We are heading to the store now to get him some powder eslibac so he doesn't have to wait for shipping to start his transition over. He's already devoured his Henry's squirrel block today. He has a big appetite for a little fella

:thumbsup
I TOTALLY forgot to mention.
Your little one is ADORABLE, simply ADORABLE! :klunk

stepnstone
12-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Well that does explain the soft stools, the liquid not only causes that it does not contain all the nutrients he needs that the powered Esbilac does.
Make sure the powered you purchase has the pre and probiotics in it or mentions dried Whey protein in the ingredients.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=281800&stc=1http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=281801&stc=1

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Alrighty we have his new powder formula and it's time for his feeding, any recommendations on should I mix the formula? 1 part formula to 2 parts water is the way the can says but is it different for squirrel babies? He was eating the liquid formula undiluted

SammysMom
12-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Mix just as it says. Now, mix up enough for the next 24 hours. You want to let it sit before feeding it as a role. It's fine for this time, but now you can get on a schedule of mixing it the night before for the whole next day.

Ashlynn
12-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Mix just as it says. Now, mix up enough for the next 24 hours. You want to let it sit before feeding it as a role. It's fine for this time, but now you can get on a schedule of mixing it the night before for the whole next day.

Ok thanks again, he just finished nibbling on some fresh broccoli and a green bean so I can probably let the formula sit for a bit beforehand and he won't mind too much.

Nancy in New York
12-11-2016, 05:51 PM

I make it up in advance as SammysMom suggests.
I let it sit for about 6-8 hours in the refrig, and freeze it in little individual tupperware containers.

Like these. You can fill them up part way, or all the way, depending on how much you
go through in 24 hours.
Always make sure to shake it up really well before feeding.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tfCwxQT/0/S/i-tfCwxQT-S.jpg

Shewhosweptforest
12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Ok...I tried very hard to get a pic tonight :facepalm with no luck...I will try again at next feeding, hubby will be able to help:grin3 Fluffy Biscuit had a pink tummy when she was little too....I've just noticed this lately....infact I wonder if it's not some sort of undercoat for winter :dono I haven't gotten her tummy wet to check :eek I will try and post a pic later :grin3

Shewhosweptforest
12-11-2016, 08:08 PM

I make it up in advance as SammysMom suggests.
I let it sit for about 6-8 hours in the refrig, and freeze it in little individual tupperware containers.
Always make sure to shake it up really well before feeding.

Exactly! :thumbsup :grin3

Shewhosweptforest
12-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Here's what I'm talking about .....see she has the dark areas also :dono

Ashlynn
12-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Here's what I'm talking about .....see she has the dark areas also :dono

How precious! That's exactly what little Splinter's looks like when he is dry. When his fur was wet, the night he had to get a bath, it looked like a deep purple bruise.. I was so worried he had gotten hurt somehow. Thank you and you're adorable little squirrel model for the help!!

Ashlynn
01-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Ok guys. Splinter is now 14 weeks. He weighs 16.2 ounces now and seems healthy and happy. He has 3 Henry's healthy pet bocks a day, a wide variety of green veggies and a blueberry or cherry tomato for treats. He has to be supervised constantly because he will bust into a pack of cookies or chips in a heartbeat. He still accepts his formula before bed every night so I still allow it. Last night I noticed he popped a little while breathing when he got tired. He did it again tonight also. It isn't constant, maybe 30 seconds to a minute then it stops. I tried to listen closely for wheezing but I can't be sure if it's wheezing or my paranoia. Any thoughts or suggestions ? He seems energetic as always and hasn't stopped eating, if anything he wants more food than normal.