PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour changes

Eejay
12-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Lilo is heading into roughly into her 5 th month now. The last week ive realized she is playfighting with me less. Seems she prefers to be scratched and groomed by me now. Is it normal for her to settle down a bit as she grows up?

czarina
12-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Hi! Sorry no one got a chance to answer earlier.
Squirrels never really quit playing! I imagine that it is a combination of several things that is causing a change in Lilo's behavior.

One, is that she is stating to mature a little. Two is that she is female and third is the time of year.

I have found that both of my non-releases are much more cuddly lately! They each get 1 hour out a day, and the male, Churtle, wants to play the whole time. But lately he is spending half his time licking my neck or hands, and just getting cuddles.

Whereas Rosie, the female always seems to have an agenda, when she is out. She will lie in the laundry basket that has their squirrel blankets and a bunch of their stuffies, next to me, wanting pets. Today, I kept loosing her, which is odd because she is usually right by me. (I wasreading), so I would call her and she would pop out.
The little monkey is building a nest on the bottom shelf outside of her cage. Now, she already has a nest on each level, but felt she needed another! In the wild, squirrels always have at least 2 nests, each with 2 entrances, in case they have to escape from a predator.
Rosies not taking any chances!
She has her cube that Milosmom made, on her top shelf, then she has built nests out of whatever she can gather, mostly tp and stuffed animals, on every level.

So, to answer your question, first she is female, and maturing. Those instincts are starting to kick in. She's being extra loveable. Don't be surprised if she starts hoarding stuff more than usual. Rosie does the fake-out all the time. Pretends she is eating her nut when I am looking, then goes and hides it when she thinks I'm not paying attention.

So, between your squirrel being female, maturing and the time of year, she is changing. Somedays she will be her usual playful self, and other days she'll be mor serious.

Good luck with your little girl!

Eejay
12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Thank you. I am in ontario canada and it is starting to get cold here. And dark early. I also have her natural schedule a little messed up. She is caged when im at work.its dark at 530 when i get home. I let her loose till i go to bed or she goes to bed herself. She gets an hour to be loose in the morning. And about 3-4 hours in the evenings. Weekends i leave her loose in her room pretty much all day. Ill gage her behaviour on the weekend. Could be all that you mentioned as well as weekday schedule that makes her seem not so fiesty with me. Lol i worry about every little thing when it comes to her. Ive never felt so protective with an animal before.

Rexie
12-08-2016, 11:40 PM
These little magical beings known as squirrel's take our hearts like no other animal can. It's a gift not everyone has the pleasure of receiving.

czarina
12-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Rexie, you hit that nail right on the head!

Have any of us ever been so excited, as when our precious baby :poop:poop:poop !

These little guys are downright magical. There is no other explanation for it.
The squirrel mom/dad that isn't worrying excessively about their little one at all hours of the night and day, just isn't doing their job right! :serene

Eejay
12-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Have any of us ever been so excited, as when our precious baby :poop:poop:poop !

The squirrel mom/dad that isn't worrying excessively about their little one at all hours of the night and day, just isn't doing their job right! :serene
Lol omg. So correct. Ive been stressing cuz Lilo hasnt been pooping as much as she used to when she had more formula feedings. I gave her apple juice 2 days ago and today. Is pooping a bit more. And im anxious to get home from work today to see how she is doing. Lol only 2 hours left of work and i cant wait lol.

Lighten-Up
12-11-2016, 09:56 AM
It's just a hunch, but I suspect that Squirrel Magic is incurable. :grin2

Eejay
12-11-2016, 12:07 PM
And its quite an invasive virus. Lol takes over every ounce of your being.
How else can i explain the relief i feel that there are poop pellets everywhere ..Lilo definitely was a bit bound up. Apple juice did its job.
Lol now im onto worrying she isnt gaining enough weight. Ive ordered more vitamins and this time also ultra boost from henrys. Lilo doesnt look as full as other squirrels i see. On here, or online elsewhere and as well how chubby the wilds are.
I have noticed some of the wilds i see around, that the darker ones like her seem to have a smaller build . more slender. She isn't from my area so i know that she isnt related to these ones.
I feed her quite a bit but still wonder if she needs more.
My order should be here either tomorrow or day after.. Can i add the ultra boost to home made blocks or just her formula.she still takes approx. 30 ml two times a day

Rexie
12-20-2016, 12:11 AM

Funny.... I do monitor poops and pee on a daily basis...

Rexie
12-20-2016, 12:13 AM
And who would want to be cured anyway right!!!! Lol

Rexie
12-20-2016, 12:21 AM
And its quite an invasive virus. Lol takes over every ounce of your being.
How else can i explain the relief i feel that there are poop pellets everywhere ..Lilo definitely was a bit bound up. Apple juice did its job.
Lol now im onto worrying she isnt gaining enough weight. Ive ordered more vitamins and this time also ultra boost from henrys. Lilo doesnt look as full as other squirrels i see. On here, or online elsewhere and as well how chubby the wilds are.
I have noticed some of the wilds i see around, that the darker ones like her seem to have a smaller build . more slender. She isn't from my area so i know that she isnt related to these ones.
I feed her quite a bit but still wonder if she needs more.
My order should be here either tomorrow or day after.. Can i add the ultra boost to home made blocks or just her formula.she still takes approx. 30 ml two times a day
I think it's just her age,, Still growing some and just has not filled out like a adult. She has that sleek teenager look before the middle age spread sets in. After my boy turned one he lost the sleek teenager look. I do try real hard to keep his weight in check so he won't develop illness due to being a chunky monkey.

Shaena
12-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Hm, my grey male actually became more violent and aggressive and also more cuddly as time passed- excited in the morning 7am-12, slow in the afternoon, a bit playful at dusk, then lazy and cuddly in evening- but if he did not get the run around time and he only had cuddle time he would become bitchier and trash his cage later. He would also get constipated when his balls got larger, and bite harder and more randomly, hormones or something IDK, and I would have to limit his nuts and seeds and feed him pumpkin puree and fresh coconut for a few days to get things a bit more rolling. He never bulked up for winter either, he can look bigger due to the big Canadian winter fur coat coming in, but he is not at all fat, I think because I feed him a set diet with way more blocks and veggies than nuts and seeds and the temp inside is regulated so he does not need the fat for warmth. He is def more low key in the winter. His behaviour varies by season, molt, mating cycle, and time of day.

Eejay
12-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Ive finally been able to weigh her. She is between 544-550 g lol can only get her on scale if she has an almond. So her chewing motion bumps the numbers around a bit .she is 5 months im estimating.