PDA

View Full Version : Lump started developing on Tuesday and is getting worse

CaseyCaitlin
12-01-2016, 04:59 PM
This is my first time posting - I'm so glad I found this website!! I have been rehabbing this little one for about 3 1/2 weeks now. He has been doing very well up until a few days ago when he started to have soft stools. This bump started to appear Tuesday afternoon/evening. It was pink, swollen and warm to the touch. Wednesday morning it was a little more swollen but still pink so I gave .1cc of Metacam and it really just stayed the same. His behavior was normal up until this morning. I found him with all fours stretched out and very, very weak, practically limp. As you can see the lump has grown a lot and is now purple. I'm not sure if he is trying to chew it or if the skin is so stretched it is breaking? I gave .1cc of Clavamox this morning. His behavior has improved and he is eating fine. I'm just really concerned at what this is and how fast it has grown!!

Thank you!!

lukaslolamaus
12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I have no idea what the bump is? Maybe a bug bite or abscess?
What kind of formula are you feeding him?

island rehabber
12-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Those look like two puncture wounds which could indicate a spider bite. I would keep giving him the antibiotics and also lots of fluids to flush any poison out of his system. Does the soft stool have a sickeningly sweet odor? The color of it on his fur there looks like coccidia poop.

CaseyCaitlin
12-01-2016, 08:34 PM
I have no idea what the bump is? Maybe a bug bite or abscess?
What kind of formula are you feeding him?

The day it happened, he was curled up in a clean blanket placed in a critter carrier (inside an incubator!) which is what is so odd to me!

I hate to admit this after reading everything, but I was feeding him FV 32/40 :embar. He had just opened his eyes when he was having soft stools so I didn't want to stress his digestive system more by weaning him to FV 20/50, but ultimately did (thankfully). I have been reading about the horrors of FV 32/40 and I think that is what caused 2 pinkies I had earlier in the season to pass away as well :(.

CaseyCaitlin
12-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Those look like two puncture wounds which could indicate a spider bite. I would keep giving him the antibiotics and also lots of fluids to flush any poison out of his system. Does the soft stool have a sickeningly sweet odor? The color of it on his fur there looks like coccidia poop.

I'm going to get a better picture here in a bit at his next feeding, it has darkened in a different area on the lump. I couldn't get the right angle earlier by myself. I read on another post not to use Pedialyte, what fluid solution do you recommend? How much / how often? He is 63g.

I will check to make sure next feeding, but I believe so...is there anything I can do to treat at home? Thank you!

SammysMom
12-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Is the lump soft or hard to the touch? I would try putting warm compresses on it to see if it comes to a head. If it is an abscess of some kind, it will need to drain. Sometimes a compress helps to get it to drain.

stepnstone
12-02-2016, 12:24 AM
I'm going to get a better picture here in a bit at his next feeding, it has darkened in a different area on the lump. I couldn't get the right angle earlier by myself. I read on another post not to use Pedialyte, what fluid solution do you recommend? How much / how often? He is 63g.
I will check to make sure next feeding, but I believe so...is there anything I can do to treat at home? Thank you!

He is taking formula correct? Unless your treating a dehydrated squirrel it is recommended to re hydrate in between regular formula feedings. Give what he will take, it don't have to be in the amount of his regular formula feeding.
Re-hydration fluid:
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 quart water.

Is the lump soft or hard to the touch? I would try putting warm compresses on it to see if it comes to a head. If it is an abscess of some kind, it will need to drain. Sometimes a compress helps to get it to drain.

I definitely agree with trying warm compresses, if this is an abscess and can't drain on it's own it will
need to be opened to drain.

Nancy in New York
12-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Wednesday morning it was a little more swollen but still pink so I gave .1cc of Metacam and it really just stayed the same. His behavior was normal up until this morning. I found him with all fours stretched out and very, very weak, practically limp. As you can see the lump has grown a lot and is now purple. I'm not sure if he is trying to chew it or if the skin is so stretched it is breaking? I gave .1cc of Clavamox this morning. His behavior has improved and he is eating fine. I'm just really concerned at what this is and how fast it has grown!!

Thank you!!

What is the strength of the Metacam and Clavamox that you're giving?
Why are you giving Metacam, does he appear in pain?
.1 for a 63 grams squirrel is HUGE as is the Clavamox.
Let us know the strength of both the Metacam and the Clavamox please.
He's SO tiny too for an eyes opened baby at 63 grams.
How much are you feeding him at one feeding and how often?
I hope we can help this little one.
Thanks for finding the board! :w00t

DaSquirrelMom
12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
That area on his knee is a "pressure point" if he lies prone in his blanket (on his belly). The lump might be an excoriated, burned, inflamed area from contact with acidic diarrhea or urine. Babies having loose stools have to be thoroughly cleaned every few hours (or more frequently) and have very frequent blanket changes. The kind squirrel lovers on this forum can help you cure his loose stools.

crazy4squirrels
12-02-2016, 11:12 PM
I would start on SMZ as it is broad spectrum and check the stool for ikkk. Change to Esbilac. SMZ is for tissue infection and damage