PDA

View Full Version : Beware of too much sunlight

kenedins
11-30-2016, 07:52 AM
A word about your caged pets and sunlight. Warning..Danger..Fatal! Please never place in sunshine without a retreat to shade. After reading from websites online about how they needed sunlight and how much they needed each day, I made the fatal decision to place mine in sunshine. I stayed right with mine while in sun, to assure I would be aware of any signs of harm from too much heat from direct Sunday's. No signs at all, after about 20 mins she went to the bottom of the cage, from being very active to almost dead! I immediately rushed her to an air conditioned area to try and revive her. After failure to do so, I quickly rushed her to the vet, where he made all efforts to help her. He then told me to take her homeland place her in an air conditioned area with a fan on her, and give her water and pedialyte with a syringe every 20 mins. I did this for 12 long hours and stayed right by her side. At one point, she showed signs of recovery. But she passes during the night. I felt so bad about what I had did! Don't place your caged pets in sunshine. Mine suffered for 12 long hours trying to recover. Words can't describe how bad I feel about how I lost her! Her name was Pickle and I loved her dearly for 4 and 1/2 yrs and will forever miss her. She was a beautiful, loving, adorable little eastern gray squirrel. Don't put them in sunshine! FATAL!!!

Nancy in New York
11-30-2016, 07:57 AM
A word about your caged pets and sunlight. Warning..Danger..Fatal! Please never place in sunshine without a retreat to shade. After reading from websites online about how they needed sunlight and how much they needed each day, I made the fatal decision to place mine in sunshine. I stayed right with mine while in sun, to assure I would be aware of any signs of harm from too much heat from direct Sunday's. No signs at all, after about 20 mins she went to the bottom of the cage, from being very active to almost dead! I immediately rushed her to an air conditioned area to try and revive her. After failure to do so, I quickly rushed her to the vet, where he made all efforts to help her. He then told me to take her homeland place her in an air conditioned area with a fan on her, and give her water and pedialyte with a syringe every 20 mins. I did this for 12 long hours and stayed right by her side. At one point, she showed signs of recovery. But she passes during the night. I felt so bad about what I had did! Don't place your caged pets in sunshine. Mine suffered for 12 long hours trying to recover. Words can't describe how bad I feel about how I lost her! Her name was Pickle and I loved her dearly for 4 and 1/2 yrs and will forever miss her. She was a beautiful, loving, adorable little eastern gray squirrel. Don't put them in sunshine! FATAL!!!
I am SO very sorry to read about your baby passing.
Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story as a caution to us all. :(

We have an excellent warning about squirrels overheating.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17785-WARNING!-Squirrels-Can-Overheat-in-Summer!

TubeDriver
11-30-2016, 08:05 AM
A simple mistake to make but sometimes with terrible results.

I am so sorry about Pickle.:grouphug Thank you for being brave enough to post this up, hopfully your warning will prevent someone else from losing their little friend.

God Speed Pickle.

:(

stepnstone
11-30-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry for your baby and you. :grouphug
It's never easy when we have to learn by our mistakes but I want to personally thank you
for sharing your story and heartbreak in hopes others will read and heed the warning.

We have an excellent warning about squirrels overheating.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17785-WARNING!-Squirrels-Can-Overheat-in-Summer!

And the very first line... " 1. Never place a caged squirrel in direct sunlight."
We do warn against this at every given opportunity. :(

DarkLies212
11-30-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm so so sorry about your precious one :sad Run free :sad

Thank you for posting this warning as a reminder to us all :hug

SammysMom
11-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Godspeed precious Pickle...:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story of something that could easily happen to any of us. :grouphug

Holli's Mommy
11-30-2016, 01:18 PM
So sorry. May little Pickle play forever in rainbow heaven! :hug

PennyCash
12-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Rest in peace Pickles :sad

czarina
12-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Godspeed sweet little Pickles.

Shaena
12-05-2016, 04:32 AM
how warm was it? I have been trying to sit with my boy in the sun for 10 min each day- I stopped now that it is winter and grey.cold,but when it was warm, I am wondering what the temp was that was no good for the little one, so I can avoid those days too

Nancy in New York
12-05-2016, 06:49 AM
how warm was it? I have been trying to sit with my boy in the sun for 10 min each day- I stopped now that it is winter and grey.cold,but when it was warm, I am wondering what the temp was that was no good for the little one, so I can avoid those days too

Here's a great link with precautions.
ALWAYS provide shade, but read this thread, it can and does save lives.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17785-WARNING!-Squirrels-Can-Overheat-in-Summer

Shaena
12-06-2016, 03:04 AM
is there any info about actual temperatures?