PDA

View Full Version : Rehome- In need of a special heart for my Baby Girl

Chelledan
11-25-2016, 01:45 PM
My heart is breaking having to say this... but I need to find a new home for my squirrel LilBit. I am struggling with some serious life issues and am moving across the country and do not have the means to give her the proper care that she needs. With my poor health, she also deserves more attention than I can give to her.

We've raised her since she was a couple days old and she is very nearly 6 years old now. She's been raised as a pet (near cats and dogs) and is not suitable for release. She does seem to take to one person and is defensive with those she is not attached to. I need her to go to a home that is ready to make the many years commitment of keeping her as a pet. The main expense is she does require 2 Henry's Healthy blocks a day along with her vegetables and I do give her a couple nuts a day when out playing. I would prefer she go to someone with experience for this reason. She's very healthy and full of energy. She loves to play and hop around and get attention. I want her to go to a home that can give her more than I can, so I would like someone that has either an inside squirrel-proof room or house so that she can run around and get more exercise. I don't want her to be in a cage all day everyday.

I would like to find her a home that's relatively close-by if possible to central Georgia yet this is not necessary. She will come with her cage, nesting box, water bottle, hammock and any other toys and equipment free of charge.

Thank you for your time and please let me know if you find someone who would be a good match for LilBit and we can talk and I can tell you more about her personality.
-Danny

I also need some advice. I've never had to rehome a squirrel before. But she is very much bonded with me... More than anyone else in the house. Does anyone have any experience with how she might handle being rehomed and bonding with a new family? Is there anything I can do to make the process easier for her

Chelledan
11-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Here are some pictures I have.

HRT4SQRLS
11-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Danny, I'm very sorry to hear about the health and life issues that bring you to this heartbreaking decision. I wish the circumstances were different.

Others will have more experience with re-homing pets but I do have a little bit of experience. It was somewhat different as these pets were year old pets that their human family wanted them to be released. The first 2 pets I released were very friendly. They went straight to the release cage. I felt they needed longer in the release cage to prepare them for life in the trees. After 6 weeks they were released as their human family watched. They did great and one stayed friendly for a while.
My second release of a 'pet' was a different story altogether. He was a pet that was named Squirrel. :dono I gave him a new name. His name is Leroy Brown... meaner than a junk yard dog. He arrived with an attitude and mad as a wet hen. He attacked my arm the first day as I attempted to feed him. :eek Wow! I wasn't expecting that. I had to feed him at 5AM before he woke up. It was the only way to put the food bowl in the cage. It was nearing release day and I had let my guard down because he seemed to be more settled. 2 days before release day, I slept in. When I went out to feed him he was awake and standing near the door. I slightly opened the door and slid the bowl in a little. He grabbed a block and started eating but he didn't leave that spot. I needed him to move so the bowl would sit on the shelf. I slowly slid the bowl towards him nudging him. Before I knew what hit me, that sucker attacked my arm and bit the crap outta me and proceeded to rip my arm with his back claws. Out came my arm with squirrel attached. Leroy dropped to the ground and was officially released THAT day.

Why did I tell you that story? The reason is that you never know how a squirrel will react to being rehomed. MOST, especially that age will not accept it readily. Luckily Leroy was being released BUT if he was to be a non-release pet there is no way that would have worked out. No one will take a pet squirrel that has bonded to someone else. It is very risky and frankly can be dangerous. It is surprisingly common for pet squirrels to turn on the person that raised them when they begin to wild up. Even the friendliest squirrel is usually attached to one person and either tolerates or attacks other members of the family.

This is a tough situation. Is there no possibility of taking LilBit with you? You said you want her to go to someone that can give her more than you can. Unfortunately, it is doubtful that anyone can give her more than you can because she is attached to you. They just don't do well with others, especially when they are nearly 6 years old. Is there anyone in your family or friends that have interacted with LilBit?

There was a poster a week or so ago that had inherited her grandmothers older squirrel when her died. Apparently the squirrel lived MANY years in the care of a new owner and accepted her. As far as we could tell, this squirrel was a record holder as far as age. Per the poster, the squirrel was about 23years old. This particular case does show that it IS possible to rehome an older squirrel but their situation is pretty rare.

Edit.... She is beautiful Danny. :)