PDA

View Full Version : sad and depressed...

Pam's Squirt
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Hello. I'm new at this but I 'm so glad to find other squirrel lovers.

I found The Squirrel Board while searching for some bit of comfort in regard to my adorable, almost 2 year old male grey squirrel named "Squirt", accidental death this past weekend. It was horrible, and it was my fault. I am sooo heartbroken.

I raised my little Squirt from an infant. He had fallen out of his nest and was wandering around on the ground blind, as his eyes had yet to open, when he was scooped up and taken home by a "soft mouth hound dog". The dogs owner rescued him and called me. Amazingly, he only suffered a broken leg which, according to the Vet, had already set itself with a tiny cast made of his own calcium! I have raised many squirrels in my life, and loved them all...and released them all. However, I loved this one so much that I kept finding excuses to keep and love him just a bit longer. And, you know what? He loved being kept!!! I spared no time or money when it came to his care and well being, and he truly had a rich and happy life. But, sadly, on Saturday morning it all ended when I failed to secure a pet gate that kept my dog off the carpet. Squirt climbed the gate playing as he has always done but this time the unsecured gate fell over onto the floor with my little Squirt underneath it. I discoved the horrible and shocking accident a couple of minutes later. Apparently, the wooden frame hit his head, causing a lethal head injury. There was a pool of blood beneath his head. I pray that it was it was painless.

I have not been well since the accident. I took such care to give him the best possible care, and love. Then I, of all people, caused his death. I am sooo sorry Squirt. My heart aches for you everyday.

I'm a little confused too. Squirt survived falling from a tree, and being carried some distance in a dogs mouth without serious injury! How could this have happened!? Has anyone else ever had similar incidents? Can anyone explain his injuries? Can anyone make my heart stop aching????

Pam's Squirt

susanw
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Squirt! Sad to say I have seen it happen to squirrels who fell from the top of their cages. It was an accident, not your fault! As far as making your heart stop aching, im still grieving the one I lost two years ago. Wish I could help you there!

4skwerlz
06-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome Pam. I'm so sorry you lost your little Squirt that way. :grouphug TSB is one of the few places where everyone really understands how much you can love a squirrel, how wonderful they are, and how hard it is to lose one. When we lose someone we love, we always blame ourselves, but sometimes things just happen. I hope by sharing the joys and sadness that happen every day on TSB, you'll feel somewhat comforted. Squirrels may not always live a long time, but they're such happy little guys when they're alive, and when they die they go quick. Your little Squirt had a great life, and I'm sure he didn't suffer. I always think of my little squirrel angels up in heaven, playing in the biggest oak tree you could ever imagine..... :Squirrel

drakkonia
06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh Pam's Squirt, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure it was just an accident. Sometimes things don't happen the way we want, but you can't blame yourself! He was obviously loved and well cared for, and that's all any of us can ask for within our lifetimes. We all know how hard it is to lose a pet, and we are here for you.:grouphug

Dancingsquirrel
06-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh Pam's Squirt, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure it was just an accident. Sometimes things don't happen the way we want, but you can't blame yourself! He was obviously loved and well cared for, and that's all any of us can ask for within our lifetimes. We all know how hard it is to lose a pet, and we are here for you.:grouphug

Drakkonia' words are so true Pam. I too am very sorry for your loss of little Squirt, time will heal your pain and talking about it to fellow squirrel lovers will help too!:Love_Icon :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

TexanSquirrel
06-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. He knows you didn't mean for him to get hurt. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Mrs. Jack
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
They call them accidents for a reason. Sure doesn't make it any easier on you though, does it. :( Just try to remember the good times, and it sounds as if there were many of them, to be loved by a squirrel is an amazing honor.

Pam
06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Gammas Baby always knows just what to say...I agree with her. It wasn't your fault. Please try to forgive yourself so you can enjoy your sweet memories of Squirt. :grouphug

Sissy
06-27-2007, 10:37 PM
RIP Squirt

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Pam's Squirt
06-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you all for your messages of symathy and support. My heart still aches but I will be better prepared in the future to prevent this tradegy from happening again. Thank you again.
Pam

Momma Squirrel
06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Pam I am so sorry about Squirt. Sounds like the two of you were great friends. Don't beat yourself up, we have all had accidents and like Mrs. Jack said, that is all they are, accidents. We want to make it all go away but we can't. We are here for you and you can talk about Squirt as much as you want, we would love to hear about all your stories and if you have any pictures that you can share with us.

Our thoughts are with you :grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I am so sorry, I did not see this untill now. You heart must be so broken..all I can offer is Squirt had 2 woderful years that he could have not had without you. Always remember him with the joy he brought to your life..and the love that filled your heart.
I will be thinking of you and praying that your broken heart will mend soon.

philomycus
07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I am sooooooooooo sorry for you loss :(

Think about what would have happened IF you had not of rescued him. He would have lost out on 2 wonderful years. Time will help heal, but you will never forget and your heart will always ache. I ache for you too :(

Farani
07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it will always hurt somewhat, but please try not to blame yourself. Just look at it in a positive way. If it weren't for you this little squirrel wouldn't have lived at all. You gave him two amazing years of life that he may have never had. Be happy you were able to make a difference :grouphug

FLUFFYTAILNUT
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
SOOOO..SORRY for your missing your little baby...I know there's an empty place in your heart right now...I feel your lump in your throat...You poor thing.
He was so, loved and he knew you loved him..you were his famliy and the best ma, ma for him...most squirrels never make it to their first birthday...and are always scared...and looking for food...he never had to deal with ANY stress or want..he died doing what he wanted....being free to play and have fun..as he was going down..I'm sure he was thinking on his way...where am I going to bounce off to next....So, don't torture your self...YOU miss him..and its human nature to do..the what could I have done better or differently...it's okay to let yourself off of the hook!!
You were...and still are a good squirrel ma, ma!
WHo knows...you may be blessed some day again to take care of another sweet life...
Hope this brings you some comfort!
Rachel....:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Mountain Mama
08-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I am so sorry. I do know how painful it can be to lose a pet squirrel. They are each so unique, so fun, and so loving.

To try to help answer your question, there are so many variables about head injuries...how they land, where they land, and innumerable other details, and even if you could nail down the exact cause and effect of the two incidents, I doubt it would help heal your heart. But sweetie, YOU made Squirt happy and loved. Try to remember that you gave him a second chance at life, and gave him love that most squirrels never get the opportunity to experience.

Blessings,
Angela

SquirrelsinSingapore
09-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Squirt is lucky to be pick home by you in first place.
I am sure he feels loved and cherished
It is not your fault, and he didn't go in pain
sudden head injury should cause consciousness
which means no pain

Release yourself from guilt,
love another squirrel

You have brought tremendous joy into life of Squirt
just as he brings to yours

:thumbsup
Blessings,
Josh