PDA

View Full Version : Sedation dosing help

aheath5711
11-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Hello,
I am going to attempt to cut my squirrels teeth today for the first time. I have the correct german steel clippers and metal file and I know how to burrito roll my squirrel but she still jerks her head around and thrashes. I have some children's benadryl hoping that giving her some will Sedate her slightly so she is more calm. What is the dosing for squirrels? She weighs 223 grams.

Rhapsody
11-18-2016, 07:37 PM
. What is the dosing for squirrels? She weighs 223 grams.

Benadryl for a Squirrel that weighs 223 grams
Dose - .18cc

stepnstone
11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Drape the fleece over her eyes, they don't see well up close
to begin with and being out of focus could just add to her anxiety.

aheath5711
11-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Thank you! the benadryl seemed to give her more energy than make her sedated :huh:
So I looked up the dosing for Acepromazine that I had for my dog for thunderstorm anxiety and that worked and we got her teeth clipped!! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!

Nancy in New York
11-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Thank you! the benadryl seemed to give her more energy than make her sedated :huh:
So I looked up the dosing for Acepromazine that I had for my dog for thunderstorm anxiety and that worked and we got her teeth clipped!! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!

YIKES the benadryl had the same effect a couple of years back on Cruiser, one
of stosh and Rosie's little squirrels. :eek

Rhapsody
11-19-2016, 11:56 AM
I always used Bach Rescue Remedy on my Marven when I had to clip his teeth every three weeks before he had surgery to remove his four front teeth.

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/products/bach-rescue-remedy-1

aheath5711
11-28-2016, 11:01 PM
Thank you I am going to purchase the rescue remedy now sinice her teeth are still not growing in correctly and unfortunately will need routine trims

island rehabber
11-29-2016, 06:18 AM
YIKES the benadryl had the same effect a couple of years back on Cruiser, one
of stosh and Rosie's little squirrels. :eek

Yes, and there are people who have that sort of reaction to anaesthesia as well....my friend's mother turned into a screaming, clawing hellion on the operating table, and that's how I found THAT out. :eek

Eejay
11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
I havent noticed any issues with Lilo and her teeth .but i am wondering what would be signs of different problems.
I am a worry wart.. Not neurotic lol.. But i do tend to have things constantly running through the back of my mind.
I would definitely go to someone else with experience if ever an issue presented itself concerning her teeth. The idea of having to cut them totally intimidates me