PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice Helps!!

riley_younger
11-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Hello to all! I am new to the group, and am excited to be apart of this page. I currently have 2 5 1/2 week old eastern grey squirrels. They are both doing very well. Eating, pooping/peeing, and sleeping perfectly. I do have a question about the syringes. This is not the first time I have taken in squirrels, but I just found this group, so I'm seeing lots of very useful information. I am using a regular medicine syringe, but I am noticing it is getting stuck. I've never had any issues with aspiration or pneumonia, but I want to do what is best for my babies.. What type of syringe is most recommended?

island rehabber
11-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Hello to all! I am new to the group, and am excited to be apart of this page. I currently have 2 5 1/2 week old eastern grey squirrels. They are both doing very well. Eating, pooping/peeing, and sleeping perfectly. I do have a question about the syringes. This is not the first time I have taken in squirrels, but I just found this group, so I'm seeing lots of very useful information. I am using a regular medicine syringe, but I am noticing it is getting stuck. I've never had any issues with aspiration or pneumonia, but I want to do what is best for my babies.. What type of syringe is most recommended?

:Welcome:Welcome glad you found us!
The best syringes are Leuer lock, available here:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrels/

I personally would use a 1cc syringe until your guys are taking more than 8cc per feeding, then switch to a 3cc.

Wow, such young babies so late in the year! :grin2

riley_younger
11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you SO much! That's what I thought, too! I am so glad I found this page!

Daisey007
11-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Welcome to The Squirrel Board!

You have to come to the best squirrel rehab source on the planet! You'll find the members here to be friendly and very knowledgeable about many types of animals... but especially SQUIRRELS!!

As far as syringes, luer lock with O-RINGS work great. I tend to wash mine so much in hot soapy water that even the o-ring begins to stick, so I sometimes re-lubricate the o-ring with just a bit of vegetable oil when that happens. That said, they're relatively inexpensive so I frequently just toss it and get a new one when it sticks.

Another great source to purchase rehab supplies is from Chris's Squirrels and More (www.SquirrelsandMore.com) Are you familiar with the miracle nipple??? It is the BEST. If I'm not mistaken, Chris actually developed and now manufactures that nipple. Chris also has calcium carbonate at the best price I've seen... 2 POUNDS for less than $20 ($16.95?)

Kindest regards,
pam

riley_younger
11-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Thank you for replying, Pam! I'm so excited to be a part of such an awesome page with awesome people! I haven't! I tried a few different nipples and none of them seemed fit for the babies. They seem to prefer no nipple? would it be hard for me to switch them to a miracle nipple?

Daisey007
11-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Thank you for replying, Pam! I'm so excited to be a part of such an awesome page with awesome people! I haven't! I tried a few different nipples and none of them seemed fit for the babies. They seem to prefer no nipple? would it be hard for me to switch them to a miracle nipple?

Oops!!! Luer lock syringes are recommended FOR use WITH the miracle nipples, not alone!! You wouldn't want a luer lock syringe without that nipple!

You can get regular, straight syringes with and without O-rings, and you can get luer lock syringes with and without O-rings. Whichever syringe you select, always choose it with an O-ring.

And no, it wouldn't be hard to switch to using a nipple. They'd probably adapt to the nipple and love it!

Nancy in New York
11-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Another great source to purchase rehab supplies is from Chris's Squirrels and More (www.SquirrelsandMore.com) Are you familiar with the miracle nipple??? It is the BEST. If I'm not mistaken, Chris actually developed and now manufactures that nipple. Chris also has calcium carbonate at the best price I've seen... 2 POUNDS for less than $20 ($16.95?)

Kindest regards,
pam

Chris has great syringes too. BUT the Miracle syringes numbers come off after several washes. :(
The SOL-M syringes are WAY too slippery and fast. We have seen many little ones aspirate with those.
I think I would stick with the Miracle syringes, even if you can't read the darned things.