PDA

View Full Version : Muy baby squirrel has diarrhea..😩

E.Coco
10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Hi everybody!! I'm new to this forum BUT THANK GOD it exists!!! I was given 3 baby squirrels. 2 boys one girl..the person who found them had given them pedialite the first day she found them and started them on the goat milk mixture. The thing is 2 of the 3 babies are doing fine pooping peeing and eating just fine but one of my boys has mucousy yellowish poop. He has an appetite and pees just fine. What can I do?! Thanks in advance!! ☺️

Mommaluvy
10-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Hello!

What is the goatsmilk mixture you refer to? Or what is in it?

I think TSB recommends POWDERED esbilac. But at this point you would have to learn how to transition onto it .

How much do these kids weigh ?
How often are you feeding ?
And how much formula are you offering at each feeding?

Would you like us to try to find a Rehabber in your area?

Sorry for all the questions but this will help us to help you.

E.Coco
10-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Hi thank you for responding.im new to this and realized that I posted on the wrong thread! I have them on the goat milk yogurt and heavy whipping cream mixture. Is this not a good thing? I was searching online and that's what I seen was recommended. So much different info online. As far as as needing a rehabilitator, I was planning to rehabilitate them myself. I just need the correct info in order to help them grow healthy and happy. I have 3 squirrel babies about 4 or 5 weeks I think. 2 boys 1 girl. My 2 boys opened their eyes yesterday, my girl still hasn't. I've had them since yesterday morning. I have to buy a scale to weigh them today. I'm feeding them every 4 hrs.Thanks again!!

Spanky
10-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi everybody!! I'm new to this forum BUT THANK GOD it exists!!! I was given 3 baby squirrels. 2 boys one girl..the person who found them had given them pedialite the first day she found them and started them on the goat milk mixture. The thing is 2 of the 3 babies are doing fine pooping peeing and eating just fine but one of my boys has mucousy yellowish poop. He has an appetite and pees just fine. What can I do?! Thanks in advance!! ☺️

The goat's milk formulation we recommend here on TSB is only a temporary substitution and should not be used for more than a few days:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***

It is intended to be given only until you can get them started on Esbilac (the Powdered version!):http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=280229&stc=1

E.Coco
10-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Ok thank you so much! I will get them that today!! How do I transition them from the mixture to the new formula?

lennysmom
10-24-2016, 02:38 PM
I would transfer slowly, as in the first feeding maybe 25% Esbilac, 75% GM mixture, next feeding 50/50 and the next 75/25 until they are on full strength Esbilac And also with the diarrhea, you want to be sure you keep them very well hydrated with water or water with a touch of honey if they won't take it plain in between feedings.

E.Coco
10-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Is the mucousy diarrhea a cause of the GM?

lennysmom
10-24-2016, 02:50 PM
Is the mucousy diarrhea a cause of the GM?

It could be. Or it could be the heavy cream. There are many things that cause diarrhea, but switching the formula will be a good start and may very likely fix the issue.