PDA

View Full Version : I have been sucked in, I want to be a rehaber!!!

trailhermit
10-16-2016, 06:45 PM
I am trying to sift through all this information, and just when I think I understand I find conflicting info elsewhere. So I would like to know of a squirrel friendly vet in in Forest county Mississippi. Also I would like to build cages and get a rehabilitation license for small animals. We have squirrels, raccoons, and opossums. Not in my house... under, over, and possibly in the walls. Critters are everywhere!

I raised two week old kittens after their mother abandoned them. And was the proud mommy to a two week old baby squirrel for a few days until I found an angel on this forum. Now I am determined to learn the ins and outs of rehabing!

DarkLies212
10-17-2016, 08:27 AM
I'd volunteer with some local rehabbers to get the feel and scope out the specifics of your state and connections they have :thumbsup

trailhermit
10-17-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure there are many nearby. Hoping to visit some soon.

DarkLies212
10-17-2016, 12:43 PM
In some states you're also able to get a permit under a licensed rehabber so you can just raise babies under them and not have your facility inspected - I think. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Working with/under someone also helps you figure out if you have the heart to euthanize when necessary and make sure this is really what you want to take on before you invest a huge portion of your heart, mind, soul, and money to these little fuzzies. You're also able to see first hand what you are and aren't able to get away with.

Chickenlegs
10-18-2016, 10:03 PM
The critters NEED more good hearted folks like you :w00t now if you were in Virginia, I could help you out!

island rehabber
10-18-2016, 10:27 PM
This seems to be a good place to start:

https://www.mdwfp.com/seek-study/permits/wildlife-rehabilitaion.aspx

Congratulations on hearing the call! We certainly need more who are willing and happy to do this work. You will find yourself part of one of the most collegial, good-hearted, genuinely helpful groups of people on the planet. :grin2