PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone - I have a girl grey squirrel named Happy

keygoddess
10-14-2016, 10:45 AM
:hello
My husband found Happy at the base of a palm tree right off our back porch. We have a great wildlife rehab place not far from where we live, but they have been inundated with orphans and injured animals from recent floods all around us. We struggled with whether to try to rehab her ourselves or take her to them, but decided to go it on our own. I know that they release them back to the wild NEAR where they were found, but her family is in our back yard, so we wanted to keep her close. I found rehab instructions on the web (how to hydrate and what to feed and how to keep her warm) and we have successfully kept her alive and healthy since August 18th. I don't know exactly how old she was when found, but her ears were still sealed and we had her a little longer than 2 weeks when she finally opened her eyes. She had no real hair on her tail and her belly was pretty bald still too. Now, almost 2 months later, she is fully 'furred' and has a glorious bushy tail. My husband and I have scratches all over our bodies, but we have really enjoyed helping her grow up. She is pretty much finished with 'the bottle' at this point. But she LOVES her fruits and veggies. She even seems to like the high protein rodent block I give her, along with nuts of just about every kind. She also enjoys a club cracker now and then. I think she is probably around 11 to 12 weeks old at this point, so I am curious about what age the females get to be 'in heat' as in ready to breed. I take her outside most days (when it isn't raining) and put her in a big tree outside my kitchen window so I can keep an eye on her and check on her every half hour or so. When she has been out a few hours, I go out and call her and she comes down to me. We go in and have food and then it is back in the cage - for her own protection. You see, we have 6 rescued cats and a lab-mix dog. All of them are mature adults at this point. (My husband hasn't come across an orphan in a while.) Anyway ... I am building her a nest box so that she can have a place to sleep outside in the event she decides to do it. It is mid-October here in South Texas and we are still enduring 90+ degree days. We have had only a few nights so far slightly under 60. It usually doesn't get too cold here. I don't know if she will decide to stay in the nest box or stay with us in the house, even if she becomes pregnant. I am curious if anyone else has had this experience and how you dealt with it. All responses are welcome, but please don't hate me because I am keeping her along with my cats and dog. Thank you in advance.

DarkLies212
10-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Welcome to TSB! :Welcome

Thanks for rescuing her.

Please don't take her outside without a cage anymore. Anything could happen that can cause her death. Something could spook her and she could run off, a hawk could snatch her. Without a stash, releasing this late is advised against. What we recommend is keeping them over winter (separate from cats and dogs) and releasing when the leaves come back on the trees with a soft release process, which allows them to learn the sights and sounds of nature while being safe in her cage.

They aren't sexually mature until around 6?ish? months I think. I could be wrong, but you don't have to worry about that. However, once she does start hitting that age, she'll become a raging ball of razors and teeth. :hurt

keygoddess
10-14-2016, 11:41 AM
"Without a stash"? Would that be the nest box I am building for her?

We still have leaves on the trees here - we don't really get all four seasons. The leaves are on our trees usually through December, so when she gets to be around 6 months old, it will be January and may or may not be cold. I hope she doesn't get to be in heat around that time because that's about the only time (aside from summer heat) that we keep our house closed up. The leaves come back on the trees as soon as they realize it won't be cold any more, usually late Feb or early March. She has been acclimated to the outdoors for most of the time we have had her. We have an outdoor cage as well as an indoor one. As I mentioned, she fell from a tree off our back porch, so her family is still up there. We have had some decent weather lately (not too hot) so we open the doors and windows and let nature sounds in a lot more than most people where we live. We are the only ones in the vicinity who have screen doors. My husband and I love the outdoors so any time it is 'nice' outside, we let it in. Thanks for the heads up regarding hawks. There is a pair living on the bayou nearby and I didn't think of them. We live on the bayou at the outer edge of a subdivision, so there is a lot of wildlife nearby. We have many squirrels in our yard and our neighbors yards. We all have trees and it seems like there is a nest in nearly every one. Do you know of any rescued squirrels that have ever given birth in captivity?

DarkLies212
10-14-2016, 11:51 AM
As far as the stash, I meant food saved away for the winter - sorry!

Like you, we don't really get 4 seasons, but we're supposed to get an unusually harsh winter this year. I don't feel comfortable releasing this late and hoping they build up a winter stash as most of the nuts have fallen already and also hope they figure out how to build the perfect nest (or 3) before then. As far as family, they don't keep family units long, so that wouldn't make a difference.

I can't recall of squirrels that gave birth in captivity, but I would imagine that if she got pregnant, she wouldn't return indoors. There are some that return to the release cages outside to have babies. Lukaslolamaus had a release have some babies this fall in the release cage.

I think I answered all your questions..

keygoddess
10-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Thank you so much! And yes, you answered all the questions I had.

As for the stash - I hadn't even considered that. I just assumed that I would be providing food for her since she never got a chance to learn to gather her own and her nest box will only be about 15 feet from my back door.