PDA

View Full Version : please help my squirrel

rocky 4 life
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
The past couple days are gray squirrel has had seizures. his legs flar out he gits stiff as a bord and twitches vary upseting for both of us. he gits so scard and hides.Hes onley 16 weeks old and we are just trying to find some help or info on what we could do to better his condition.

Critter_Queen
06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Rocky,

What do you feed your squirrel? Where did you get him/her? Is he inside or outside? What do you keep him in?

We need more info, but seizures in an otherwise normal squirrel is usually diet/vitamin/nutrient related....so we need detailed info on what he's being fed and what he's been fed in the past...

Mars
06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
We'll need more info please. Let us borrow your eyes to see with. Can you tell us what you have been feeding him? How did he come to be in your family? Did he come in with any injuries to start with? Has he taken any falls recently? Has any thing new such as scented candles, cleaners or non stick pans come into your home he may be reacting to?

I know I know questions, questions and you want asnwers answers. Help us and we'll do our best to help you. :) Meanwhile please keep your little one in a quiet confined space where he is unlikely to hurt himself.

drakkonia
06-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I will leave the advice to the rehabbers but I just wanted to say that I'm praying for your little squirrel. :grouphug

Secret Squirrel
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Rocky 4 life.... saw your other thread about the lead weight......do you think he was chewing on it ?? What size and is it a fishing weight ?

4skwerlz
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Many modern fishing weights are no longer made with lead because of the environmental damage they cause. Can you check the label?

Also the symptoms of acute lead poisoning usually include diarrhea.

island rehabber
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
rocky you've got good rehabbers helping you here already so I don't want to meddle but I believe your squirrel's seizures are diet-related......Metabolic Bone Dissease is the most common reason squirrels of that age get seizures. Please let us know, as Mars also requested, what you are feeding him, what kind of a cage he lives in and where is it located in your home, etc etc....

willydugas
06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
The past couple days are gray squirrel has had seizures. his legs flar out he gits stiff as a bord and twitches vary upseting for both of us. he gits so scard and hides.Hes onley 16 weeks old and we are just trying to find some help or info on what we could do to better his condition. He has low Calcium you need to give him something with calcium.Give him his Formula also crush some tums ( it has Calcium in it.) Even if he is off his formula he will take it.Good Luck

squirrelfriend
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Give him Esbilac puppy formula, leafy greens, Prime bird vitamins and a full Spectrum lamp. this is caused by lack of calcium and vitamin D from the lamp. Calcium can not be absorbed into the system without vitamin D. Sunlight gives vitamin D and so does a Full Spectrum lamp.

Keep squirrel very calm. Keep in a quiet atmosphere. Stress can bring on seizures as well. Lack of calcium and vitamin D cause it but I find that stress can be the final trigger.

best of luck to you both. Keep us updated on how he is doing.

rocky 4 life
06-20-2007, 08:45 PM
the lead weight was 3 oz and hafe of its gown.he also has a out side cage 4by5 feet where he can play in the sun in side my room he rools the roost soon to bild him a cage in frount of the windows. he eats nuts primate biscits and rabbit food dry fruit we have powderd vitomens for all tipes of animls hes vary active and sweet never has bit me yet. weve been worred about mbd and not giting sun. thank you for all the help im so glad i found this site

island rehabber
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the lead weight unless you're positve it's lead....they really don't use lead anymore in anything, not even pencils. Just think CALCIUM in everything you give your sweet little boy -- get him a cuttlebone from the bird dept of your pet store or grocery, and he'll love chewing on it. Give him the Esbilac and kale and spinach and broccoli -- not too many nuts and NO sunflower seeds or peanuts for the time being until he is well, OK? Full spectrum light for as many hours a day as you can.......also, can you put him in a smaller cage or divide his cage in half? Five feet high is too high right now -- if he falls from that height he may get a fracture.

Critter_Queen
06-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Having him inside is likely what's causing his problem, along with an improper diet. Do like IR said above with the foods rich in calcium. Spend most of your squirrel food dollars on the produce section of the grocery...broccoli, kale, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, a LITTLE bit of Cheerios (plain or multigrain ONLY), that sort of thing....

He can't produce his own Vitamin D without natural sunlight. He has to have this by either being outside or from a FULL SPECTRUM light bulb. (HAS to say FULL SPECTRUM to be the right thing in my experience).

Please keep us posted.

4skwerlz
06-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Another way to get your squirrel to take extra calcium is to buy some Calcium Carbonate capsules at the drug store (in the human vitamin section). Open the capsules and sprinkle the powder on everything he eats. Hope he feels better soon.

4skwerlz
06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
How is your squirrel today? Hope he's feeling better. :Love_Icon

Abacat
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Any news on your squirrel, rocky 4 life? How's she doing?

drakkonia
06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I wonder too, how's little Rocky today?

TexanSquirrel
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I hope the little one is doing better!

rocky 4 life
06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Its been 5 days and no seazars. i got him some cuttel bone and we are bilding a inside cage hes still his happy self watching him play in his out side cage plinty of toys logs ramps and love thank you for helping my rocky:Love_Icon

ravenlaws32
06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!! so many times the stories are sad , but time to time good things happen . great to hear and thank you for caring .:jump :wott :multi :multi :multi :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :flash3 :flash3 :flash3 :flash3 :flash3

Apple Corps
06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
rocky 4 life - :multi :jump :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo

TSB doing its thing !!!

LynninIN
06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
:wott

drakkonia
06-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey that's great to hear! Thanks for the update!

Ceasar
06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I had a rocky too .but lost him and his sister Molly both to MBD I had no warning signs them found expired broke my heart .but Ceasar (the other brother) showed the same signs as you described Rocky having .I started giving him calcium vit. and mineral in his water sat in the sun with him twice a day .I guess what I am trying to let you know is there is still hope Ceasar is doing well now and will be 4 years old this August.
Hang in there Rocky we are all pulling for you :nurse

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I saw you on..So hows every thing..going??

TexanSquirrel
01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
:dono