PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Eejay
09-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Figured i would finally introduce myself. My real name is jeanette.
I am a 40ish :p mother of 3 grown children. 2 have moved out and my youngest is starting highschool this week.
I work fulltime. I work at a dealership as an automotive detailer in the sales department. If you buy a car im the person that makes sure it is spotless and blemish free before you pick it up.
Ive been around animals my whole life. My i was raised on a small cow and horse farm till i was a teen and then we moved off the farm to still rural area in the country..worked at a zoo taking care of petting zoo animals when i was younger until i had my children.
My favourite animals are those in the rodent family. Ive had many species as pets. Degus, chinchillas, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits. I bred chinchillas for a short time in the past.
Ive come across raccoons and cottontails in my time that needed help. usually the time of year that rehabs were full so i ended up taking care of them myself and releasing successfully.
Lilo is my first squirrel. I have had a love of squirrels forever and have befriended the ones in my lil neighbourhood area. I always kinda wished i could have one as a pet. Honestly that was my first instinct when i was given Lilo, but after the first night with her i thought i cant force her into that life. So i hope to get her strong enough to release in my back yard . the squirrels and chipmumks i feed daily hang out here..but appear to live in the trees and brush on my neighbours property.
I have to thank you all that have already helped me. And also for the general atmosphere here on this board. I had joined a board like This for rabbits when i had a litter of bunnies this past may. I was not welcomed there it seemed because i am not a licensed rehabber. I was scolded for what i was doing constantly. Even though i had even told everyone there if they could find me a rehabber within 2 hour drive that wasnt full already to take bunnies to, i would nobody showed me much empathy. I expected i may get treated like that here..but i didnt and i am so vert grateful for that.
Sincerely thank you to this board for having me and helping me with Lilo.

cava
09-04-2016, 08:23 AM
WELCOME!

I am also not licensed, although I have a background working with animals. I was fortunate enough to have a live human at a rehab a couple of hours away get me started. Honestly, they seem to have their hands full and were happy to let me help (I have also rehabbed for them in the past--raccoons).

I agree, these folks are THE BEST!! They are firm because they care, and always great cheerleaders when things are a success.

Good luck with yours!

Eejay
09-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Thank you! Im hoping some day in near future to take courses and eventually become licensed. Most of the ones in my area had to shut down or move for financial reasons. So most are an hour to two hours drive away.