PDA

View Full Version : My dog found a baby grey squirrel

Fergus
08-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Fortunately for Vinnie (the squirrel) he's a bird dog with a soft jaw. No damage. I'm guessing he was around 4 to 5 weeks old. Full fur with one eye partially open. I stuck him in the yard for most of the day where he didn't move much and noone claimed him. I didn't have the heart to let him go to the chicken hawks so I brought him inside. I went to the local pet store and got a small critter cage, some powdered goats milk, a couple droppers, a waster dispenser, and some raw mixed nuts. I live alone so I was only able to feed him once in the morning and then when I got home from work. Wasn't sure if he'd make it. Well, that was a week ago and he's now a very mobile nut eating curtain climbing critter. He's not afraid of me at all and climbs right up my arm from his cage. I don't plan to keep him so my question to all you Vinnie experts is when should I let him go? He really wants out of his cage and is yelling at me right now. I never knew how loud these little buggers could be.

Sara in NW MS
08-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks for saving this baby! It sounds like you've tried to help him but he really needs to be taking more formula than anything else right now. Nuts aren't great for them since they suck the calcium from their bodies. Most people don't release them until 14 weeks of age or so... So you really need to get him to a rehabber so he can be cared for properly until then and be with other squirrels his age.
They can help you find someone close to you if you give them the city you are in.
Thank you for caring about this little guy. :hug

SammysMom
08-27-2016, 09:08 PM
We have some terrific members in Washington State. Where are you in the state? Nuts are a real no no for little guys. Esbilac puppy formula powder is what you really need, but we can surely see if we can find someone to help if possible.

Fergus
08-27-2016, 09:24 PM
No more nuts. Done. Puppy formula. Done. Thanks. I'll take care of the little fella till he's around 14 weeks like you say. He drinks plenty of water and formula. I'm confident he'll be just fine. When and what kind of veggies should I give him?

Mel1959
08-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Here is a link to the healthy diet for squirrels. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

It shows the best choices for veggies and what are no-nos. The formula is very important for as long as he will take it. Keep in mind that just because he wants out of his cage doesn't mean he's equipped to handle life in the wild. Releasing when they are older and smarter gives them a better chance. Thank you for helping this little one.