PDA

View Full Version : BABY SQUIRREL TAIL AND LEGS PARALIZED

johnhenry96
04-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I need help. We found a baby squirrel and it was our backyard pet. It has been coming around and we were feeding it. I went camping with my sons for the weekend and when I reterned, my wife found it strange that the squirrel was in the same spot for quite some time. Under further examination I noticed it's back legs and tail seemed to be paralized. I do not see any bite wounds, so I am guessing it fell out of a tree or was hit by a car. I carefully picked him up with gloves, wrapped his hind section to keep his legs stabilized and gently placed him in a cat carrier. My kids are heartbroken. Any ideas on what to do? I was hoping I could at least ffed him and keep him comfortable. How do you know a suirrel is in pain? I picture making a chariot type device once he heals that he can wheel himslef around the yard. I need some advice, I feel so bad for him.

MissDolittle
04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
It sounds like the squirrel is seriously injured and needs to see a vet, get x-rays
etc. Not even us rehabbers can fix broken bones and need veterinary help, so
please give the squirrel a chance and get it to the vet in the morning. Make
sure you call the vet(s) first and see if they treat squirrels.

muffinsquirrel
04-30-2006, 10:30 PM
We have a grey about 8 or 9 months old. We have raised him from formula age. He fell from a tree as a baby, and was found by a dog, so he had lots of injuries. Xrays showed that he had a broken pelvis and both back legs were also broken.There seems to have been a good bit of neurological damage, and he has no movement in his back legs. But he had an unbelievable will to live, and apparently thinks that all squirrels lack movement in their rear legs. We took him to the vet again and discussed euthanesia at great length - of course, by this time he had completely stolen our hearts. We had him in with us at the vets, in a small carrying cage, and the whole time we were talking, Dusty was going hand over hand all over the cage. We left him with the vet and told her that it was a decision she would have to make, because we were too attached to him to know what to do. We told her to either put him down or neuter him. She observed him most of the day and then neutered him. She said that as soon as he came out from under the anesthesia he was up swinging on the cage again, talking to everyone and playing. He is in great health, has no pain, and is not slowed down at all by his 'handicap'. He has a 5' high cage where he sleeps and eats, but most of the time has the run of the squirrel room during the day. His care is a long term commitment, but we love him and he is one of the family.

I know that the 'hard core' rehabbers will not agree with our decision to keep Dusty alive.But anything with that much enjoyment of life and will to live deserves the best chance he can get.

So by all means, take him to a vet and have him x-rayed and checked out. Then make your decision with the help of your vet, keeping in mind the long term committment that a pet squirrel requires. If he is paralized, living free in the back yard will not be an option because of predators - he will have to be in your home. You can't just cage him in the yard, either - he will need love and care and interaction with you. If you can not give him what he needs, then either put him down or give him to a rehabber

Good luck with him - I hope that it turns out that his problem is just temporary and he's back in the trees of your backyard soon.

muffinsquirrel

thundersquirrel
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
i suggest you get a rehabber and THEN a vet, in that order. vets are far more likely to euthanize a wild animal, even when it could be saved. keep him warm and give him nutrient rich food. he may come out of this, but i'm no expert. it sounds like he's a sweet squirrel, and he knew to come to you guys for help. thank you for taking him in.

i heard that gentle rotating massages can help ease leg pain, but if you try that and he starts squeaking or protesting, then that's a bad idea.

definitely find a rehabber as soon as you can, though i don't think your squirrel will die from this as long as you give him food, water, and shelter.

keep us updated!

island rehabber
05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Johnhenry the advice you've been given already is right -- if you can, find a rehabber who works with a wildlife vet and get the squirrel there as soon as you can. Otherwise find a wildlife vet yourself and get him there....to be honest it doesn't sound good but these critters are amazingly strong and often surprise us. I have a list of Michigan rehabbers -- what part of MI are you in?