PDA

View Full Version : Greetings & a request for help...

Ekorre
08-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi there!

I'm thrilled to have found this site as it's clearly an incredible wealth of information and I could really use some help! I hope I'm posting this in the correct area of the site - as a new member, my posting is restricted.

Sorry this is so long - the situation is complicated and there's a lot to explain.

I've had pet rats throughout my entire life (none at the moment), so I know quite a bit about raising them. I also adore squirrels. Now I find myself dealing with a difficult and stressful situation regarding a young, vulnerable squirrel and I'm not sure what to do.

My husband and I live in an apartment and the kitchen window looks out onto a nearly flat roof. Over the past few years, a number of squirrels have come and gone on the roof and we've been happy to feed them (unsalted nuts, vegetables, some fruit, and of course fresh water). It's been (and is) a source of tremendous joy to watch them eat, play, and grow. Unfortunately, our window is rather high up which means we're physically unable to reach the squirrels. Normally, this is not a problem as I can throw food to them and it lands on the roof where they can eat it.

A few months ago, an entire squirrel family showed up. A mother squirrel and her four babies. 3 of the 4 young were healthy. The fourth one was absolutely tiny (even smaller than an adult rat), had no fur, and was just skin and bones. Going based on the healthy three, my guess is that they were somewhere between 6-9 weeks when I first saw them.

After careful observation, I realized that the runt could not eat solid food. It could only lick the food that was thrown down to it (my guess it that it either has no teeth, very few teeth, or misaligned/damaged teeth). I quickly came to the conclusion that it was going to die of starvation if I didn't help it.

After a bit of trial and error, I was able to come up with a mixture it would eat. Despite the squirrel being incredibly malnourished and having no fur, it was (and still is) a very picky eater. In the beginning, the only food I could get it to eat was a mixture of the following: thoroughly mashed banana (no lumps), a variety of supplements that were crushed into a fine powder (including Calcium & Vitamin D3), and melted raw virgin coconut oil. I mixed all of that together and carefully threw it down on the roof below. The squirrel loved it and after a week or so I could see that its health had begun to improve. (Banana was not my first choice as there is a lot of natural sugar in bananas, but I had to go with whatever it would actually eat.)

One day I was discussing the squirrel's problems with my husband and he suggested that I chew up the nuts and see if the runt could eat them that way. I wasn't sure it could digest the nuts, but felt it was worth a try. I started chewing up unsalted pecans, walnuts, and brazil nuts and feeding them to the squirrel (I chew until the nuts are almost like a paste – no rough edges or sharp pieces whatsoever). Well, that changed everything! The hungry little squirrel quickly devoured everything I threw down and wanted more. It uses its tongue to get the food into its mouth and swallows it without any problems. It also uses its claws to pick up pieces of the paste and eats it like it would a regular nut (holding it in its paws). These days, it will eat about 8-12 nuts in one feeding. I'm well aware that nuts are not supposed to be a staple in a squirrel's diet (they're only supposed to be treats), but my picky eater is just that... extremely picky!

In any case, the runt has gained a small amount of weight, has grown a little (it's taller and longer...although it's still crazy small for a squirrel its age - it's now somewhat larger than an adult rat), and some of its fur is starting to grow in. It also has quite a bit more energy. All of this is fantastic progress!

Now for the difficult part. Feeding this squirrel has always been a nightmare. I have to stand on a stool and lean out of our kitchen window (which is extremely painful for my back) so I can aim properly and it can find the food. In addition, I have to use a heavy duty water gun to fight off aggressive pigeons and the occasional seagull (they do not like being sprayed with water) which terrorize the runt.

My husband built our squirrel a wonderful wooden house that we have lowered onto the roof (it's anchored inside our window with strong rope). Our hope was that the runt would use the house (there's a large hole on the side so it can easily get in) and feel calm and safe in there instead of being out in the open and frightened (it's quite skittish for obvious reasons). The house was also meant to protect the runt from the elements (rain, etc.). Unfortunately, it doesn't dare to go in it and the house has been out there for a number of weeks now.

The whole family of squirrels was living in a nest that was in a hole in a stone/cement wall on the other side of the roof. It's not visible from where we are, but one of our neighbors who can see it told us about it. That's where the runt lives and it's not possible for us to access the nest (it's really high up and situated in a way that makes it impossible to reach).

Over the past week, there has been an alarming development. There is now a mother squirrel (it probably has a litter of newborn babies as it's obvious that it's nursing) who comes to the roof daily and is intent on doing the runt harm (it's the runt's sister...one of the original 3 healthy babies). She has been gone for quite some time, but suddenly seems to think the roof is her territory and views the runt as a threat. Our guess is that the runt is most likely male. In any case, whenever the mother squirrel sees the runt, she goes completely crazy and chases it at the speed of light.

It's clear that she wants to harm it and will most likely kill it if she gets the chance. The runt can run very quickly, but also tires quickly (small, thin, low on energy). Today things got even worse with her hanging out on the roof for hours after she had been fed...seemingly intent on preventing the runt from coming up the wall and onto the roof to be fed. This is very serious as the runt was not able to eat today due to this.

We are now faced with having to carefully trap the runt and bring it inside. This was always a possibility as we knew it was not going to make it through the winter eating out in the open on the roof and with almost no fur.

However, there are several issues. A metal cage-like trap cannot be used as the runt would never go in it (it's far too afraid). The only thing we can think of is some kind of netting...and even that could be difficult/problematic as we don't want to injure it and laying netting on the roof from our kitchen window could be quite complicated.

Does anyone have any advice about using netting to trap a squirrel?

It can not bite us, so that's not an issue. We are concerned, however, about lice, fleas, mites, ticks, etc. I have some health problems and absolutely can not risk getting Lyme Disease, etc. The squirrel has some fur (not much) and I've seen it scratch itself a few times, so I'm also concerned that our apartment (which we rent) could become infested with whatever the squirrel might be carrying. Does anyone have any advice about how to prevent this from happening?

Ideally, I'd like to find a way to safely sedate the squirrel so it's easier to trap and therefore less traumatic for the poor little creature...but there seem to be too many risks involved in trying to sedate it. Does anyone have any advice about this?

Once we trap it (if that's even possible), we want to take it straight away (in a carrier) to a vet that has rodent/squirrel expertise (we have yet to find one, but are working on it). Obviously, a vet needs to take a look at the squirrel's mouth and possibly take X-rays in order to let us know how to proceed.

If this squirrel had any chance of surviving on its own, we would not be considering bringing it into our home. We're prepared (and fully committed) to taking care of the squirrel and providing it with the best life we can indoors. If at some point it recovers enough to live on its own (outside), then we will of course consider releasing it.

I have contacted two wildlife rehabbers in our area and neither is willing to take on a squirrel in need of this much assistance.

Thanks in advance for reading this as well as any and all advice!

HRT4SQRLS
08-10-2016, 05:40 PM
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard Ekorre

Thanks for caring for this poor little squirrel. Undoubtedly, it would have already succumbed to 'survival of the fittest' without your help. You will find an entire board of people here with a compassionate heart like yours for animals in need. This little one certainly does need help. I'm glad you have experience with rats because that will help you with this little one.

This aggressive mother has complicated the situation. Unfortunately, I don't think the net idea will work. Squirrels are lightening fast as you have seen and any movement of the net will result in the little squirrel fleeing in a flash. The squirrel will be much faster than your ability to pull the net. Even if you were successful, I think there's a good chance the squirrel would be injured or strangulated in the netting before you could free it. The runt will go berserk and it might not end well.
I also think the mother squirrel will stake out the roof, eat the treats and make trapping difficult if not impossible. To be effective a trap needs to appear non-threatening to the animal. That would only happen by leaving the trap on the roof (maybe even covering it) so that it doesn't look out of place. You probably don't have that amount of time.

Is there a possibility of drawing the squirrel to another area away from the roof so that it could be fed. We have recipes on this board that would be healthier alternatives to chewing nuts. They are made by grinding rodent block, adding peanut butter, baby apple sauce, etc. There are several recipes and they are well received by wild squirrels. They stick together but they are soft so that chewing wouldn't be an issue. Be careful adding Vitamin D3 to your recipe. Calcium is good but too much Vitamin D can be lethal. Vitamin D is sometimes used as a rodenticide. Capturing this runt will take time and unfortunately he will still need to be fed until that happens. I would suggest you find an alternate location for feeding for now.

Here's an issue that is very important. It's usually advisable to have a plan BEFORE you capture a wild squirrel. I would try to find a vet first. In the US, most vets will not treat squirrels. That might also be the case in Europe. I would find out. The squirrel needs a head X-ray to determine the problem. There might be a malocclusion. If that's the case, the teeth will need to be trimmed. With your experience with rats, you might have experience trimming teeth. Like rats, squirrels teeth continue to grow and need to be filed by chewing. If they don't meet up, they will overgrow and cause inability to eat or worse. Some teeth are so bad they will grow through the roof of the mouth.

The lack of fur and size are more than likely nutritional. With proper nutrition and lack of competition from others this would more than likely correct itself. There is an outside chance there might be other issues but we can only address the obvious problems.

Yes, squirrels do bite! Very hard so I would try my best to avoid that.
As far as fleas, mites, etc I wouldn't worry. You have 2 options. One is a bath in Dawn dish soap but frankly, I would NOT want to bathe an adult, wild squirrel.
I would use a product called Revolution. It is also marketed as Stronghold. It is a topical product used to control fleas on cats and dogs. A drop between the shoulders will kill all the fleas and mites on the squirrel. If you do this you have no need to worry about your apartment becoming infested.

Good luck to you. Just curious, is this a red squirrel? When we see hairless squirrels, they are usually red squirrels. Of course, it's quite rare.

Ekorre
08-10-2016, 06:53 PM
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard Ekorre

Thanks for caring for this poor little squirrel. Undoubtedly, it would have already succumbed to 'survival of the fittest' without your help. You will find an entire board of people here with a compassionate heart like yours for animals in need. This little one certainly does need help. I'm glad you have experience with rats because that will help you with this little one.

This aggressive mother has complicated the situation. Unfortunately, I don't think the net idea will work. Squirrels are lightening fast as you have seen and any movement of the net will result in the little squirrel fleeing in a flash. The squirrel will be much faster than your ability to pull the net. Even if you were successful, I think there's a good chance the squirrel would be injured or strangulated in the netting before you could free it. The runt will go berserk and it might not end well.
I also think the mother squirrel will stake out the roof, eat the treats and make trapping difficult if not impossible. To be effective a trap needs to appear non-threatening to the animal. That would only happen by leaving the trap on the roof (maybe even covering it) so that it doesn't look out of place. You probably don't have that amount of time.

Is there a possibility of drawing the squirrel to another area away from the roof so that it could be fed. We have recipes on this board that would be healthier alternatives to chewing nuts. They are made by grinding rodent block, adding peanut butter, baby apple sauce, etc. There are several recipes and they are well received by wild squirrels. They stick together but they are soft so that chewing wouldn't be an issue. Be careful adding Vitamin D3 to your recipe. Calcium is good but too much Vitamin D can be lethal. Vitamin D is sometimes used as a rodenticide. Capturing this runt will take time and unfortunately he will still need to be fed until that happens. I would suggest you find an alternate location for feeding for now.

Here's an issue that is very important. It's usually advisable to have a plan BEFORE you capture a wild squirrel. I would try to find a vet first. In the US, most vets will not treat squirrels. That might also be the case in Europe. I would find out. The squirrel needs a head X-ray to determine the problem. There might be a malocclusion. If that's the case, the teeth will need to be trimmed. With your experience with rats, you might have experience trimming teeth. Like rats, squirrels teeth continue to grow and need to be filed by chewing. If they don't meet up, they will overgrow and cause inability to eat or worse. Some teeth are so bad they will grow through the roof of the mouth.

The lack of fur and size are more than likely nutritional. With proper nutrition and lack of competition from others this would more than likely correct itself. There is an outside chance there might be other issues but we can only address the obvious problems.

Yes, squirrels do bite! Very hard so I would try my best to avoid that.
As far as fleas, mites, etc I wouldn't worry. You have 2 options. One is a bath in Dawn dish soap but frankly, I would NOT want to bathe an adult, wild squirrel.
I would use a product called Revolution. It is also marketed as Stronghold. It is a topical product used to control fleas on cats and dogs. A drop between the shoulders will kill all the fleas and mites on the squirrel. If you do this you have no need to worry about your apartment becoming infested.

Good luck to you. Just curious, is this a red squirrel? When we see hairless squirrels, they are usually red squirrels. Of course, it's quite rare.

Hi HRT4SQRLS!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board and for taking the time to write such a thorough response; it's very much appreciated! :thankyou Your tips and suggestions are really helpful!

Just to clarify a few things: I would never attempt to catch a wild animal without a firm plan in place first. I'm working on figuring everything out and have quite a bit more research, etc. to do before I can even attempt to catch the sweet little squirrel I'm trying to save. As I said in my first post, I need to see if I can find a vet that has expertise in treating rodents/squirrels. I tried to edit my post above, but could not. If I could, I would have clarified that the reason I don't think biting is an issue is due to the squirrel's inability to eat solid food. It is only able to lick, not chew. Of course squirrels bite (their teeth are razor sharp) and I would never handle a squirrel (functioning teeth or not) without thick, protective gloves.

Unfortunately, there is no other place for me to feed the runt. I live in an urban area and my kitchen window is at the back of the building (high up). The little squirrel climbs up the wall and onto the roof to eat and then goes back down the wall to its nest (which I have no feasible access to). It's hard to explain, but you would understand if you were looking out my kitchen window.

I really heard what you said about using a net and would like to avoid using one at all costs...I'm just not sure what else to do. I know the runt well enough to know that there's no way it will dare to enter any kind of trap - it's far too skittish. It would be great to get some further tips on nutrition because I absolutely want to do right by this little creature. Is there a particular thread you'd recommend?

I'll be very careful about the vitamin D3. I've only given it a microscopic amount. This is an Eastern Gray Squirrel.

I'm not sure what to do about the aggressive mother squirrel. The runt will die if I can't feed it. This situation is causing me a great deal of stress as I've become quite attached to the runt and can not bear to think of it coming to any harm.

HRT4SQRLS
08-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Here is a link to recipes that members have posted that they have had success with.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?52232-Healthy-recipies-for-our-picky-squirrels-(aka-Squirrel-Friendly-Cook-Book)&p=1171635&highlight=#post1171635

On post 68 of this thread, a member compiled the recipes in a Clipbook format so that they are all together. The first several recipes are called Boo Balls. There are several versions. They recipes were developed so that rodent blocks were mixed with other ingredients to make them palatable to squirrels. Check out some of these. It will give you some ideas.

Squirrels usually love avocado so that's an idea also. They are high in fat.

I understand your difficulty and I wish you luck trying to help this little one. :grouphug

Ekorre
08-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Thanks so much for the information. :thumbsup I'll take a good look at that thread. I hope I can get the rodent blocks here in Europe.

This little squirrel refuses to eat avocado. That was one of the first things I tried as rats usually love avocado (and it's a great source of healthy fat). Raw virgin coconut oil is also wonderful - which is why I was including it in the banana mixture. These days the runt won't eat much of the banana mixture, so I absolutely have to find a recipe for something it will eat that's healthier than the nuts (I'm well aware that nuts are far from ideal).

I also bought a container of Royal Canin Babydog Milk (in powder form) and diluted it with far more water than it says to (proceeding with caution). I mixed a tiny amount into the banana mixture but the squirrel didn't like it. It ate a very small amount and then refused to eat more. Over the next few days, the runt seemed quite congested and started sneezing. Needless to say, I never did that again! I took a look at the ingredients before feeding it to the squirrel and was concerned about all the chemicals in that formula...but I was desperate. That Babydog Milk may work really well for other squirrels, but it was not a good fit for my little runt.

If I had the squirrel indoors in a calm, quiet environment I'm sure I could get it to eat a variety of healthy foods and I'd be able to experiment more. At this point, getting any food in it at all is a challenge due to the conditions I've described.

I'm now going to see if I can get the rodent blocks, etc.

Thanks again for your help! :thankyou

TerriCompro
08-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Bless you, kind soul
:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

Ekorre
08-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Bless you, kind soul
:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

Awww, thanks! :Love_Icon :grouphug I'm just trying to do right by this sweet little creature who deserves a chance in life....:Love_Icon:fluff1:Love_Icon

TerriCompro
08-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Awww, thanks! :Love_Icon :grouphug I'm just trying to do right by this sweet little creature who deserves a chance in life....:Love_Icon:fluff1:Love_Icon

So what's been happening the last couple of days...? Any developments?:poke

Ekorre
08-18-2016, 05:38 AM
So what's been happening the last couple of days...? Any developments?:poke

Thanks for asking (and caring)! :thumbsup:Love_Icon There's a bit of an update in the following thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?54623-Complicated-situation-could-really-use-some-help!