PDA

View Full Version : squirrel losing fur on tail and hindquarters....any ideas why?

cpietra16
08-02-2016, 04:49 PM
When I first saw this squirrel I thought it was a baby but then realized that it was full grown or at least as big as the other adult squirrels.
It is missing fur but not sure why. He eats and drinks and seems to be healthy other than the missing fur.

Mel1959
08-02-2016, 05:49 PM
In the last picture the squirrel looks like it has some bald spots on its rear end as well. It could be mange. Others on here that are more familiar with recognizing and treating mange will undoubtedly chime in. I'm sorry I can't be more help. If the squirrel comes to eat, it may be as simple as putting the meds on a pecan or walnut, letting it dry and then offering it to the squirrel.

cpietra16
08-02-2016, 07:55 PM
I thought mange as well but not sure . Thanks for your input

stepnstone
08-02-2016, 10:26 PM
In the last picture the squirrel looks like it has some bald spots on its rear end as well. It could be mange. Others on here that are more familiar with recognizing and treating mange will undoubtedly chime in. I'm sorry I can't be more help. If the squirrel comes to eat, it may be as simple as putting the meds on a pecan or walnut, letting it dry and then offering it to the squirrel.
My thought as well, couldn't hurt to treat for mange...

cpietra16
08-03-2016, 06:34 AM
How do i get the meds? from the Vets? will they give me the meds without seeing the squirrel? will the meds hurt other squirrels that at the nuts with the meds? than you for all your replies. :)

Mel1959
08-03-2016, 12:23 PM
I saw that someone else thinks this could be mange, but I wonder if it could be molt? I live in FL and our squirrels don't seem to molt, or at least not that I have seen.

The treatment for mange is 1 drop, the size of a piece of uncooked rice, placed in the crevice of a pecan or walnut. The medication can then be covered with a little nut butter or peanut butter to camouflage the taste. You will need to be sure the squirrel that needs it gets it. The treatment is given at 7-10 day intervals for a total of 3 treatments.

Ivermectine can be purchased in the US at feed stores, like Tractor Supply, without a Rx. I am not aware of different strengths, but what I have is Ivermax 1% solution. It is marketed for swine and cattle, but I use it for my dog for heart worm prevention. It can be fatal if too much is administered.

I have never treated a squirrel for mange, but others on here have, and I researched what was advised. Those that are more knowledgeable than myself, if there is any error in what I have advised, please correct me.

Good luck and thank you for helping this little one.

Daisey007
08-03-2016, 02:34 PM
When you look at the pattern of hair loss, it appears to be only where the squirrel can reach to scratch... Can anyone tell whether there's any hair missing behind the ears (which they can also reach)? If so, that tends to confirm that the hair loss is from scratching which further supports the 'mange' theory. But if there is no hair loss behind the ears then perhaps we need to consider other possibilities because I doubt that mange would stay localized to just the backend, therefore there must be something different going on to explain localized hair loss.

Mel1959
08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
There is a TSB thread that tells how to dose ivermectin to apply topically. I have posted it here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?53316-Re-Ivermectin-for-Wild-

Daisey brings up a very good point about hair loss and it being localized. Maybe a better look around the ears would help determine if it's mange.