PDA

View Full Version : Help needed-- swollen vagina and lethargic grey squirrel

Hobbsfamily
07-27-2016, 10:18 AM
We have been working on releasing Penelope, and this morning we found her in the yard in not-so-great condition. She was laying flat on the ground (pancaking) and there were about 7 squirrels surrounding her. She was acting like she was hurt, so I managed to get a hold of her and check her out. She has no cuts or punctures, but her vagina is extremely swollen and she has a lot of chunky white discharge coming from it. I thought maybe she was having a hard time going to the bathroom, so I used a warm compress and q-tips to get as much of the discharge off of her as I could. She seemed relieved after I cleaned her and massaged her belly, but she is still acting lethargic and just not herself at all. I'm afraid we may have a lifelong pet with this one, she has overcome a lot to be released, but she doesn't seem to fully know how to squirrel on her own. Also, she has been absolutely chugging water the past couple of evenings when she comes back to the house for food. May be associated with whatever is going on, I just don't know how to help her. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful!

island rehabber
07-27-2016, 12:00 PM
OK, what has just happened is your girlie got her groove on, for the first time.

The seven squirrels around her were her male suitors. In squirrels, there is an alaborate 'mating chase' that takes place, where many males will chase a female through the trees until one of them catches her and she allows him to mate. It's an exhausting process, but the theory is that it raises the female's body temp to the perfect temp for ovulation and conception. The "white chunky" material you saw is what is called a copular plug. Male squirrels insert that AFTER mating to ensure that no other guy mates with her too -- making sure his DNA is the one that gets passed on. Yeah, I know...how did this stuff evolve, right?

Your girl will be very very exhausted after that....and most likely preggers. 40 days from now, expect pinkies!

CritterMom
07-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Yup, it sounded like the result of a mating chase to me too. It is happening where I live RIGHT NOW - I was yelling at some just last night since they were doing it in the treetops and one slip...

I would let her hang out inside in the cool and rest and recover and chow down a little. She will tell ya when she wants to leave.

Hobbsfamily
07-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Yup, it sounded like the result of a mating chase to me too. It is happening where I live RIGHT NOW - I was yelling at some just last night since they were doing it in the treetops and one slip...

I would let her hang out inside in the cool and rest and recover and chow down a little. She will tell ya when she wants to leave.

Oh my goodness you guys I feel so silly! Well that explains why she's just resting and being cuddly. I didn't think of mating because I know they're usually done by this time of year. Thanks so much you guys! I'm pregnant myself and didn't think that she was just getting it on :laugh2:laugh2

Daisey007
07-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Oh my goodness you guys I feel so silly! Well that explains why she's just resting and being cuddly. I didn't think of mating because I know they're usually done by this time of year. Thanks so much you guys! I'm pregnant myself and didn't think that she was just getting it on :laugh2:laugh2

:embar:grin:huh I totally understand. lol

island rehabber
07-27-2016, 03:07 PM
:rofl4 :rofl4

CritterMom
07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, it is pretty brutal. Multiple males will go after a single female and they CAN kill her. I have turned the hose on big, swirling wads of crazy squirrels before and had 4 males leap out and run, leaving the poor, beaten up little female just laying there heaving. Ugh! I hate mating season! The females usually always have Fall babies, and they go about starting those babies right about now.

Daisey007
07-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Well, it is pretty brutal. Multiple males will go after a single female and they CAN kill her. I have turned the hose on big, swirling wads of crazy squirrels before and had 4 males leap out and run, leaving the poor, beaten up little female just laying there heaving. Ugh! I hate mating season! The females usually always have Fall babies, and they go about starting those babies right about now.

That reminded me of Daisy being chased by a bunch of BOLD and daring males once, and she came down the tree towards me and then went out on a limb just above my head. I was standing there with the water hose turned wide open with a power nozzle attached! :tap I waited for her to reach the end of the limb and then I opened it wide open on the males coming after her... of course, that did the tick! Off they ran! But the funny thing was Daisy's expression!!! :rolf She saw what I did and she watched the males run away... and then without moving her body she swung her head around and looked at me then at the water hose and then at me again and back at the squirrels running away and back at me and the water hose... then stretched out on the limb!! I believe IF I've ever seen an animal look 'impressed' about something, it was at that very moment! :Love_Icon:gigg
CM2029 Am I the only one how starts looking forward to Christmas this time of year?

Hobbsfamily
07-28-2016, 02:12 PM
That reminded me of Daisy being chased by a bunch of BOLD and daring males once, and she came down the tree towards me and then went out on a limb just above my head. I was standing there with the water hose turned wide open with a power nozzle attached! :tap I waited for her to reach the end of the limb and then I opened it wide open on the males coming after her... of course, that did the tick! Off they ran! But the funny thing was Daisy's expression!!! :rolf She saw what I did and she watched the males run away... and then without moving her body she swung her head around and looked at me then at the water hose and then at me again and back at the squirrels running away and back at me and the water hose... then stretched out on the limb!! I believe IF I've ever seen an animal look 'impressed' about something, it was at that very moment! :Love_Icon:gigg
CM2029 Am I the only one how starts looking forward to Christmas this time of year?

I know if we would have left her laying in the grass something awful probably would have happened. There were SO many squirrels around her, and they were chattering and acting crazy. Even after I put her safely in her enclosure multiple male squirrels were crawling all over it, as well as on the tree above her while it was raining! I've never seen anything like that in my life! She laid around all day yesterday, but she's back to her ol' squirrely self today. :Love_Icon We'll wait until these storms pass and then release her again. For now she seems relieved and like she's enjoying the snuggles and special attention.

BarbieJean
07-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Lol! I had to read this entire post! I know nothing about squirrel mating and I had no idea that's how it happens. It seems so silly but kind of scary! Glad she's ok :-)