PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel with lost hair and a scratch due to a fight with something

Rocky1
07-05-2016, 10:37 AM
What I did NOT get in the photos:
Although frustrating, I was not able to get a picture of her biggest scratch, which to me, doesn't look terrible. The worst scratch involved about 2 inches by one centimeter of bare skin with what looked identical to a paper cut that bled a little (not gaping, not serious looking, no other redness, no sign of inflammation). I am puzzled about how I got a picture of her back without that included. Maybe her fur was somehow covering it... Will try again next time.

What I did capture in the photos:
What I did get on photo were some areas of lost hair, probably due to claws or talons of some sort grabbing her. You will see darker hair that looks wet on her sides and back and that's where there is some hair missing. I am not sure if there is broken skin underneath that too. I am interested in any insight you may have. (I wonder if it were a dog, a hawk, a cat, another squirrel, or something else?)

My conclusion:
I suspect that the correct course of action is to just monitor and see if anything gets worse or better. Let me know what you think.

TubeDriver
07-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I would just watch her closely and try to help with food and water. If it was a cat, it will get infected so keep a lookout for swelling/redness/hair loss. Do you have any Baytril/Cipro on hand just in case?

Rocky1
07-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I would just watch her closely and try to help with food and water. If it was a cat, it will get infected so keep a lookout for swelling/redness/hair loss. Do you have any Baytril/Cipro on hand just in case?

I don't have any Baytril/Cipro. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for responding.