PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a DOG - Huge rash, losing hair, swollen leg

DarkLies212
06-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Sorry for the non-squirrel problem. But TSB is the best and has seen so much more than most vets and are usually much better...

My parents' 9 year old German Shepard developed a hot spot a few days ago. We applied silvadene cream, which she licked off. We applied dermagel then and covered it, which she tore off :tap Oh, she also had benedryl once, which caused her to stop eating.

Long story short, after returning from a 3 day business trip (of course I wasn't available to to doggy-sit, so that fell on my brother), my mother returns and was horrified to see this.

She has a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but until then, does ANYONE have any ideas of what this could be? She's chewing her leg and it's pretty badly swollen judging from the pictures. No food changes, no new soaps or anything, nothing that they can think of that has been changed.

I know the vet appointment is only a day away, but y'all are better than most vets I figured out :grin2 And this might help someone later on

EDIT: She just remembered she switched glucoasmine pill brands two weeks before she developed the hot spot. Will try to get the brand she used before and this one now to pass on to anyone who may use them for their dogs.

Rhapsody
06-30-2016, 03:47 PM
My 12 year pitbull has arthritis in her right hip and she gets hot spots in the area
with the same symptoms you are describing, which leads to her chewing the fur
in the area (hip) that is hurting, this leaves open wounds with inflammations.

I clean the area with diluted Betadine then apply A&D ointment a few times a day.
The vet has my dog on a low dose of Prednisone to help with pain & inflammation.

DarkLies212
06-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Thank you! I'll pass that on! The hip problems sound spot on with the Shepherds too

Squarl
06-30-2016, 07:31 PM
It's probably an allergy, some type of dermatitis which is causing edema in the tissues . It could be related to arthritis. I'm assuming he doesn't have fleas or a history of allergies or ear infections right ;)

If animals are painful (due to whatever, even a tiny scratch or bug bite, plant toxin, etc) they will lick at an area, break the skin, let infection in. Hot spots can come on very quickly and look terrible, they are very common.

Regardless of the cause... he'll be treated with steriods and antibiotics. They will also shave him and clean it up. He will heal up quickly.

Sometimes pain medication can conflict with steriods so be sure to tell the vet if u give him aspirin or something simular.

Put a cone on him ASAP. Don't allow him to continue licking, that is what caused it too get bad.

It's unlikely the change in medication cause this, although it is possible.

Sometimes these things happen, just like when we humans get random rashes, although we know not to scratch and tear at the skin. You'll probably never know the cause.

FYI it's much cheaper to buy human glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oils and give pills instead of overpriced dog chews. Also, those aren't really pain meds. A dog his age and breed should probably be on something like Rimadyl or Tramadol for hip pain.

Its also unlikely benadryl caused him not to eat. I've never known that to be a side effect. He probably didn't eat because he's uncomfortable. You could try a different over the counter antihistamine like zyrtec if you really think it's an issue... But I really doubt that was the cause.

For the future.. put a cone on them as soon as they start licking excessively. Don't let it continue. If you can, shave the area and clean with betadine diluted to a weak tea color. One good clean-up may Be enough. Only clean if needed, over cleaning can worsen the problem. Shaving Keeps the area clean and helps dry it out. Then, apply hydrocortisone and triple antibiotic a few times a day. Give benadrly, a dog his size probably needs 3-4 tablets 3x a day ( thats a total of 9-12 per day) The dose it's much higher than humans (Its 1mg per pound of weight, so a 75lb dog takes 3 of the 25mg tablets)

Poor guy, He's got a bad infection now. Good thing he's going to the vet :)

DarkLies212
07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Thank you SO much Squarl!!! I'll definitely pass all that info on to my mother.

The Shepard does have allergies - Chicken maybe? I can't remember for sure, but she has to be on a specific food. And she has had ear problems in the past as well. No fleas, though.

I never thought of a cone - will push to get that for her as well.

Good info about the human grade glucosamine and pain meds, too!! She just went for a checkup a month ago and the vet didn't recommend any pain medication, so I'm very thankful you brought that up :Love_Icon (TSB better than a vet again!)

Will this Betadine work? We don't have any on hand, but I will pick some up for her and myself immediately http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/betadine-antiseptic-solution/ID=prod1544040-product

I know I didn't touch on everything, but I've printed your recommendations and will drop them off to my mother today!! :hug Thank you so so much

Squarl
07-04-2016, 02:00 AM
Will this Betadine work?

Yes that would be fine.

How's the baby doing?

DarkLies212
07-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Sorry I didn't post an update - hellacious weekend.

The vet said it was just a hot spot and gave her some strange medication I had never heard of as well as put a cone on her. Oh, and instructed her to put silver sulfadide (?) cream on it.

I mentioned the pain medication to my mother, who doesn't believe Belle is in pain and "the vet didn't say anything about giving her any medicine." She's also against the betadine :hissyfit

But now the other Shepherd is getting a hot spot. I don't understand what's going on here. The 2nd dog is only 2-3 years old and is on the same food as the other 3 dogs. I'm puzzled.