PDA

View Full Version : Backyard squirrel with swollen back leg?

Squirrellove10
06-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Saw this love for the first time today...not getting around well at all and won't climb up trees because of that back leg. Slowly hops away, and not very afraid of me. He is bound to get picked off if this leg of his doesn't get some help. What can I do for him? I have a hav-a-hart trap and a net as well if you think I should catch him. Considering this is the first time I've seen him, I'm not sure how I could dose him in the wild when there are MANY other squirrels that come to eat on my deck too.

Any advice on what I should do to help him? Not sure that this one will heal on its own. Is it an abscess?

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/squirrellove10/Mobile%20Uploads/20160628_112142_zpsav1tb2i7.jpg

Spanky
06-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I am not sure if that is an abcess or wound, but others will be along to chime in...

In the meantime, do you have any antibiotics on hand? Please just let us know what you may have... Augmentin or Clavamox may be good choices. Minimally it may be helpful to provide plenty of food, fresh water and maybe even dose some antibiotics.

If he really is not getting around well, trapping and treating him would be terrific. You can set the Hav-A-Hart and simply release
any other squirrels that may be caught accidentally. But before you trap, you will want to have a plan. Do you have a cage you could house him in for a few weeks?

These compromised ones tend to visit my feeding stations during non-rush hours (e.g. early, early AM, late evening or in the heat of mid-day) to avoid the other squirrels that will usually "pick" on them.

Squirrellove10
06-28-2016, 05:16 PM
I have amoxicillin and Cipro on hand. I have a large ferret nation cage I use for juveniles so I could put him in that while he is being treated. I don't know how he could be treated in the wild being that so many other squirrels come to the same area to eat. Would capturing be in his best interest?

Spanky
06-28-2016, 05:50 PM
I have amoxicillin and Cipro on hand. I have a large ferret nation cage I use for juveniles so I could put him in that while he is being treated. I don't know how he could be treated in the wild being that so many other squirrels come to the same area to eat. Would capturing be in his best interest?

You are in the best position to determine if he should be captured. If he is as compromised as it sounds and you are not optimistic about being able to treat him in the wild, then I would vote "yes" to trapping him.

Once you get him, remember dark and quiet. You can cover the cage with a blanket and place in a remote room would be great.

What is strength of the amoxicillin you have on hand?

If you can get any better pics.. before or after trapping.. it almost looks as though his foot is turned at an impossible angle? :dono

Squirrellove10
06-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Yes, he is compromised because he is so slow and refuses to climb with that leg. I could catch up to him just by jogging. I just know how stressful it is for adult squirrels to be captured and I'm unsure how I would dose him in the wild because he doesn't come around every day. I have a room that he can be in that will be very quiet. Amoxicillin I have two different dosages: 875mg and 500mg. I also just found Cephalexin 500mg.

Spanky
06-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes, he is compromised because he is so slow and refuses to climb with that leg. I could catch up to him just by jogging. I just know how stressful it is for adult squirrels to be captured and I'm unsure how I would dose him in the wild because he doesn't come around every day. I have a room that he can be in that will be very quiet. Amoxicillin I have two different dosages: 875mg and 500mg. I also just found Cephalexin 500mg.

While captivity is stressful for a wild, it certainly is not less stressful than being pursued by predators or dying a slow death from infection. :thumbsup

The capture and initial hours or even days will be stressful for him but hopefully he'll realize sooner rather than later you are helping him. And it seems you are well equipped to help him.

If you can catch him, maybe you can get better pics but his whole foot seems swollen. Or even vids of how he gets around.

I would be apt to use the amoxil over cephalexin or cipro. I'd guess shim to be around 600grams (putting this out there for others to confirm or deny?) for dosing. We'll get you the dosing information...

And I want to :thankyou for helping this little injured boy. I sure hope you are able to catch him!

Nancy in New York
06-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Just wanted to make the photo larger for a better look.
Is his back foot swollen as well?
It almost looks misshapen. :dono

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VW766Qj/0/O/i-VW766Qj.jpg

stepnstone
06-28-2016, 08:02 PM
While captivity is stressful for a wild, it certainly is not less stressful than being pursued by predators or dying a slow death from infection.
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-sign-smileys-968.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/yes/nod-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Squirrellove10
06-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Sorry, I will try and get better pics when I see him next. I will also try and capture him. His foot is also swollen along with the leg so it's pretty bad. He can't put weight on it at all.

janiemcm
06-29-2016, 11:20 AM
My first thought when I saw the leg and foot - was that he got it caught in something...a fence, a bird feeder hanger...that sort of thing. Good luck trapping that little guy.

this won't help your squirrel, but it will help others...
once I got a call from a woman who had a squirrel dangling by his ankle from her birdfeeder hanger. when I approached with a net and a towel, he freaked out so badly, that he completely ruined his whole leg and had to be put down. It was horrible! Her feeder was a very typical type. Here's a photo of mine and what I did to prevent this from ever happening. All I did was wrap duct tape around the part that the ankle could slip into. - now, no worries!! EVERYone seems to have this type of birdfeeder hanger...just wish they could all see how easy it is to "fix" it.

Squirrellove10
06-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Any advice on what to do once I trap him and put him in the ferret nation cage? I want a plan to help him heal.

Thanks

Spanky
06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Dark, warm quiet. A water source and some veggies, fruit and even nuts. Lots of fleece in the cage for burrowing / hiding. A cubby would be terrific too.

A 1ml syringe for dosing medications would be great. Ask the pharmacy for one, explain you are feeding an orphaned kitten (they are usually more sympathetic to a kitten than a squirrel).
And heavy gloves!

You'll want to have infant ibuprofen available; They usually will take the grape or berry flavored INFANT ibuprofen very well (they like the taste).
- This could help with his pain and swelling, but we do not want to give this if by chance this appears to be a spinal injury in which we'd consider steroids (and ibuprofen cannot be given with steroids).

Better pictures of the leg would be great. And the squirrel so we can confirm / guesstimate his weight for dosing medications. :thumbsup

A better assessment of the leg would be great:
- does it appear to be broken, especially a compound fracture? Hopefully not and it is simply very swollen.
- Does the injury only involve the one leg or is he having trouble with the other one or dragging his whole rear end around? This will help determine if the injury involves the spine at all, in which case steroids *may* be indicated. Also would affect which pain meds he should be given.

Spanky
07-02-2016, 12:14 PM
:hello Just wondering how this little one is doing? Any luck trying to trap him?