PDA

View Full Version : Is Pox an Emergency?

kcassidy
06-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Admin's please feel free to move this if it doesn't belong here.

I got in 3 babies last Friday and I'm realizing they have Squirrel Pox. I'm getting ready to search thru the archives but if anyone wants to tell me what to do asap, I'd love that!!

Here are some pix. One baby already died, about 24 hours after intake. 1 baby is heading in that direction and the final girl is peppy but covered in these "sores"

What do I do??????????

Here are the pix which I've made public on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154210241081897.1073741884.644551896&type=1&l=03231316d9

CritterMom
06-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Yes, that is pox and yes, it is an emergency. Can you get your hands on some acyclovir? It is an antiviral medication for humans and is used in advanced chicken pox cases and also for herpes. It is about all that will get rid of this.

SammysMom
06-24-2016, 06:50 PM
There are a few here who have dealt with pox. I do think it is a bit of an emergency, but not really positive about the transmission from one to another. Have they had any contact at all with any others?

kcassidy
06-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Critter - do vets carry it or do I need to order it from an online source? I'll get it asap.

Sammy, I have no other squirrels so transmission to others is not happening.

When they first came in, they had swollen hands and feet, Vet felt it was red ants. The pox hasn't started showing up until today. Except for the one on the foot.

I feel horrible, can I save them or are they going to die? 1 died 24 hours after intake and another one is really failing fast, she was fine this morning (just swollen) and now she is just laying here. 3rd girl is still really spunky

I just want to make them better, tell me what to do!!!!

kcassidy
06-24-2016, 07:23 PM
sorry for all the posts. I just googled the drug and I found a source for ointment and one for pills. Which do I get, I'm going to overnight it to myself.

The really sick one weighs 130 grams and the spunky girl weighs 155

CritterMom
06-24-2016, 07:27 PM
Pills. How big (how many mg?)

CritterMom
06-24-2016, 07:29 PM
Also, make sure the sick one is eating enough and is well hydrated - especially the hydration part.

kcassidy
https://www.healthwarehouse.com/acyclovir-400mg-tablets-generic-zovirax.html

SammysMom
To my knowledge it is the oral med that you want. CM is definitely the one to ask though. It seems like it is a crap shoot as to who lives through it...many prayers and good thoughts for healing...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

CritterMom
06-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Excellent. Get plenty - not the 15. You may get more squirrels, and it takes a fair amount of the drug to treat. Tomorrow I will send you some info - how to dilute, dosage, etc.

kcassidy
06-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Okay thanks CM, my little 130gram baby just died in my hands :( I feel effing horrible, if I had realized this sooner I could have saved her. Why why why

What is Squirrel Pox? I didn't realize we had it here in the Northeast. :( :(

I see there is a bottle of 400 and a bottle of 800 which strength do I get? As soon as you tell me I'll order a boat load

kcassidy
06-24-2016, 08:45 PM
CM sorry to be a pain, please though, can you tell me do I need the 400 or the 800?

Nancy in New York
06-24-2016, 09:10 PM
https://www.healthwarehouse.com/acyclovir-400mg-tablets-generic-zovirax.html
Kim, this place requires a prescription.

SammysMom
06-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Godspeed precious innocent one...:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon
So sorry Kim. Pox is one of my biggest fears. It is definitely here, but it is transmitted by mosquitoes so probably just more of it where it is always warm and humid.
If it is a question of 400 or 800 mg I would probably go with the 400s and get a larger quantity. I'm not sure which you need, but easier to double a 400 than half an 800.

stosh2010
06-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Okay thanks CM, my little 130gram baby just died in my hands :( I feel effing horrible, if I had realized this sooner I could have saved her. Why why why

Such Sad News................ Adios, little one(s).

kcassidy
06-25-2016, 09:26 AM
TSB is pulling thru again. A member is sending me some of the Acyclovir in the mail so I'll get it Monday!! My order from the website should be getting here Tuesday so I'm really hoping this is the magic bullet.

Thank you all

kcassidy
06-25-2016, 10:35 AM
To my knowledge it is the oral med that you want. CM is definitely the one to ask though. It seems like it is a crap shoot as to who lives through it...many prayers and good thoughts for healing...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Well PHOOEEEEY. Okay off to find the oral version

kcassidy
06-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Two questions

1. Do the bald spots hurt, itch and/or cause discomfort?
2. Is there any ointment or oil I should be rubbing on the spots?

CritterMom
06-25-2016, 04:16 PM
I believe they likely itch, particularly when the meds have been started and the sores begin healing. I would rub a little silvadene cream on them once or twice a day - it will help with secondary infections and it has tremendous anti-itch properties.

I had a little wild I named "EL" for "Eyelids" because she had terrible pox sores on her eyes. I treated her in the wild and I swore I was going to catch her and put mittens on her because the eye would get ALMOST healed and then she would show up with it all clawed to hamburger... She finally healed up, but my guess is that it itched when healing.

kcassidy
06-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks CM. I don't have that medicine (I used to but used it all up) but I do have a steroid ointment for my poison ivy that works like a dream. I'll rub that on all the spots.

Thanks

Garden71
06-25-2016, 08:10 PM
This is a old post but might be worth reading

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?38915-What-saved-my-pox-squirrels&highlight=echinacea

kcassidy
07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
UPDATE POST

Little Pox Girl is feelng good mentally, but I think she is pretty itchy. She is on Acyclovir (Thank You Critters Mom & Mel1959)

I've attached pictures of her, hoping someone can tell me when I'll start to see it working. I feel so bad and now she has pox on the sides of her mouth and under her chin. She scratched it and made scabs.

I want instant fixes!

Anyhoo, what do you think?

274876 274877274878 274879274880

Nancy in New York
07-02-2016, 03:31 PM
UPDATE POST

Little Pox Girl is feelng good mentally, but I think she is pretty itchy. She is on Acyclovir (Thank You Critters Mom & Mel1959)

I've attached pictures of her, hoping someone can tell me when I'll start to see it working. I feel so bad and now she has pox on the sides of her mouth and under her chin. She scratched it and made scabs.

I want instant fixes!

Anyhoo, what do you think?

274876 274877274878 274879274880

Kim is it just the pictures, or does she look like a little dwarf squirrel? :thinking :dono
She's just precious! :klunk

kcassidy
07-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Yes she is I love her and want her to make it!!

It is just the pictures and how the pox is affecting her face, eyes and chin area.

Thanks

CritterMom
07-02-2016, 04:20 PM
It takes a LONG time. After about a week the appearance of new ones should slow and stop, and then it is just the slow task of the existing sores healing. If yiu are still seeing new ones popping up at this point, add (1) dose per day at the strength I told you - so 3 doses a day instead of 2 - for a few weeks.

The whole process will probably take a couple months...

SammysMom
07-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Good job helping this little girl. Kim. She is really a doll and her eyes look bright and clear. :glomp:Love_Icon:glomp

JLM27
07-02-2016, 05:41 PM
It took Binky three months to clear completely.

Chickenlegs
07-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Kim is it just the pictures, or does she look like a little dwarf squirrel? :thinking :dono
She's just precious! :klunk

I was JUST going to ask that very question. She's a lucky little girl to have you caring for her! Can she have some Benadryl for her itchies--or maybe some cortisone cream on the scabs?

kcassidy
07-02-2016, 10:11 PM
It takes a LONG time. After about a week the appearance of new ones should slow and stop, and then it is just the slow task of the existing sores healing. If yiu are still seeing new ones popping up at this point, add (1) dose per day at the strength I told you - so 3 doses a day instead of 2 - for a few weeks.

The whole process will probably take a couple months...

Thanks CM. No new ones so I'm good on dosage, thanks for giving me more details, it helps a lot!!!!!

kcassidy
07-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Good job helping this little girl. Kim. She is really a doll and her eyes look bright and clear. :glomp:Love_Icon:glomp

Thanks SM, I think so too :) She is a fighter and we are becoming fast friends!

kcassidy
07-02-2016, 10:31 PM
I was JUST going to ask that very question. She's a lucky little girl to have you caring for her! Can she have some Benadryl for her itchies--or maybe some cortisone cream on the scabs?

Hey CL:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm hoping she realizes that there are so many choices.

kcassidy
07-03-2016, 09:17 AM
CL:

Didn't finish typing LOL. No she isn't a dwarf squirrel, pictures just looked like it. :)

As I said up above, I'm putting my poison ivy steroid ointment on all the spots 2-3 x a day. I did give her Benadryl but didn't see any major difference so just stuck with the ointment.

Rocky1
07-03-2016, 03:43 PM
First, thanks for caring for these poor little ones with pox. They are fortunate to have found someone who identified it as a potential emergency and identified the appropriate treatment with assistance. One thing that I don't recall being mentioned yet, is that squirrel pox is very contagious from squirrel to squirrel (not to humans), so keep that in mind when working with other squirrels.

(Also, thinking ahead, while there is a good chance it won't be necessary, it would be great to somehow obtain the type of acyclovir made for eyes - the kind humans put in their eyes if they get ocular herpes. This will not be necessary unless one of them gets an involved eye. Let's hope that doesn't happen, and it very well might not happen. Just bringing this up in case there is a way to obtain that too. To be fair, I'm not sure that anyone's tried that yet on this forum, but given that that antiviral is effective against this virus, my feeling as someone who had a top score on the medical college admissions test, is that it is the way to go.)

kcassidy
07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know what I can do for my little squee besides the echinacea and the Acylivor? Her hind feet are so swollen you almost can tell what they are, she is no limping on both hinds. I hate seeing her suffer like this and if it is all for naught I don't want her to continue to be in pain.

I feel so bad for her, what else can I do???? :( :( :( :( :(

Mel1959
07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Are those new pox? Or old ones that have not subsided yet? I'm not sure what else can be given to relieve the swelling, but I know that tramadol is used for pain. I'm not sure if the suggestion of Benadryl was ever addressed. Or if prednisone can be given? Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I will send prayers. :grouphug

Chickenlegs
07-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Sorry Kim--on the road back home. How is your baby? Are her feet still swollen. How about cold compresses if they're not doing as well as you'd like? Thus far, no pox down south. Sure hope I NEVER see it! Kisses baby girl. :Love_Icon

kcassidy
07-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Are those new pox? Or old ones that have not subsided yet? I'm not sure what else can be given to relieve the swelling, but I know that tramadol is used for pain. I'm not sure if the suggestion of Benadryl was ever addressed. Or if prednisone can be given? Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I will send prayers. :grouphug

I've not given her prednisone I have given her Bendaryl. I'll give her some Tramadol tonight and in the AM.

She has new Pox all over her body, her face, her cheeks, her belly, her tail, yes her feet are totally swollen and hat. She limps on the right hind, which is the worse foot. Her front paws are not swollen.

I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy in New York
07-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I've not given her prednisone I have given her Bendaryl. I'll give her some Tramadol tonight and in the AM.

She has new Pox all over her body, her face, her cheeks, her belly, her tail, yes her feet are totally swollen and hat. She limps on the right hind, which is the worse foot. Her front paws are not swollen.

I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bless you Kim for helping this poor innocent baby. :Love_Icon :bowdown

Chickenlegs
07-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Thank heavens you're there for her! I'd sure hoped the pox lesions were clearing up.

SammysMom
07-09-2016, 09:54 PM
:grouphug:Love_IconKim & little girl:Love_Icon:grouphug