PDA

View Full Version : I Think Ginny Has Dermatophytosis! HATES Coconut!

Skayda
06-16-2016, 04:26 AM
So, my three year old NR gray squirrel, Ginny, has a bald patch on her lower stomach and behind that appears to be Dermatophytosis, (Not the ringworm version), and I know the treatment is usually coconut oil or raw coconut topically or ingested. She eats a healthy diet of fresh veggies/fruits as well as henrys healthy pets' squirrel blocks daily. I'm wondering if there's another squirrel-approved natural remedy besides coconut that can be used because she absolutely hates anything coconut. She even sniffs it she'll turn and run from it. I know that Dermatophytosis is usually seasonal and it's the right time for it, but I'd like to have some way of helping her get through it faster. Also, her bald spot isn't completely skin but a peach fuzz of fur there. Thanks in advance!

Lighten-Up
06-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Hello Skayda,

I am relatively new, so please don't take my word on this as complete, just take it as a lead, check with others and decide for yourself.

I had a backyard wild with what was most likely Dermatophytosis, and coconut, coconut oil, and avocado seemed to have completely healed her within a few months, and interesting, once her fur was normal again, she started refusing my coconut oil dipped nuts. But I know you have an issue with coconut, so maybe try some avocado.

When I did my research I found this site: http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/blog/skin-diseases-in-squirrels On his blog he mentions using colloidal silver for this specific condition; so this could be another option for your coconut refusing friend.

Here is a very heated forum post about colloidal silver I found: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?20316-SAFE-ANTIBIOTIC-FOR-ALL-SQUIRRELS

Personal note: I have never used colloidal silver. For the only reason that I never took the time to understand what it was. However my life intersects with many in alternative therapies so I am not opposed to it, I have heard about it for years. I have been thinking very much about trying it for myself in the last two weeks, and so I have decided that I will get some and try it.

Having read TSB forum on colloidal silver ( link above), it appears that it is a very polarized therapy, meaning that people are strongly advising toward it and against it; which can put the new reader in the position of bouncing between hope and fear. I do not want to put you in that position, but neither do I want to withhold information that may be of value. You will have to decide for yourself how you feel about it. These debates can get out of hand, but they never need to. There are reasons people advocate for things and there are reasons people fear things, getting to the bottom of what the real issues are can take some time. And it always helps to discuss it without the emotional content- note the above forum is highly emotionally charged. I am only bringing it up for your informative research because it may be an alternative to coconut. :grin2

Best to you, and your little Ginny. :hug

So, my three year old NR gray squirrel, Ginny, has a bald patch on her lower stomach and behind that appears to be Dermatophytosis, (Not the ringworm version), and I know the treatment is usually coconut oil or raw coconut topically or ingested. She eats a healthy diet of fresh veggies/fruits as well as henrys healthy pets' squirrel blocks daily. I'm wondering if there's another squirrel-approved natural remedy besides coconut that can be used because she absolutely hates anything coconut. She even sniffs it she'll turn and run from it. I know that Dermatophytosis is usually seasonal and it's the right time for it, but I'd like to have some way of helping her get through it faster. Also, her bald spot isn't completely skin but a peach fuzz of fur there. Thanks in advance!

Chickenlegs
06-16-2016, 08:51 AM
I've used "sovereign silver" on the recomendation of ayurvedic folks AND a proper medicine man. I used it for drag sores on my paralyzed squirrel. Apparently sovereign silver has a finer molecular structure than colloidal silver (I dunno but it does seem to have some excellent healing properties). I use Dermagel religiously for any sore (as opposed to cut) but the "silver family" does seem to be something to keep in a drugbox.

Skayda
06-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Thank you, guys. I had to reply via one post instead of to 'thread' due to my tablet messing up, but this is for all of you that helped me here. Ginny seems to be doing a lot better now. Most of her fur has grown back and only one small sore spot remains but is getting smaller. It might have been just the typical seasonal skin irritations she's been prone to since she was a year old. I just want to help her get through it as fast as possible. About two years ago they both had a bad case of ring worm brought on by a pinecone a friend had given them and that's why they hate coconut oil because I pretty much bathed them in it over the course of a few weeks but it worked. After that, every outside toy or chew treat is thoroughly washed/boiled for unseen germs/bugs. Making sure their cage is cleaned and that they get ample time to run around outside the cage in a clean, safe environment seems to help keep skin and general health issues at bay, too. I have heard of that silver stuff too but forgot about it until you mentioned it. Most of the stuff I've read appears positive if used sparingly. I will probably pick some up/order some if I can't find any at the local horse and tack shop in town. Avocados; I'm scared of. I know the skin and pit are poison to most animals and I'd be afraid of some wayward skin getting into the fruit and being accidentally fed to the girls.

Lighten-Up
06-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Just a note on Colloidal Silver. Anyone interested in buying this might want to be aware that there are several products that are marketed as this, but that they are different. I did not know this, I am still learning, but wanted to pass this on.

As I did my own research I found that there are three distinct products marketed as Colloidal Silver, and that only one appears to deliver the good healing properties without side effects. The other two appear to be responsible for the bad press that some report. I've pasted the info below, with the link to the website it came from. (I found this noted on other websites too) I do not know what Sovereign Silver is, but after some quick looking, I suspect that it might in the category of the True Colloidal Silver, as both have a small particle size, which is good.

HERE'S THE INFO:

https://draxe.com/colloidal-silver-benefits/

There are basically three types of products that are marketed as “colloidal silver” and these can be categorized as:

Ionic silver solutions
Silver protein
True colloidal silver

Ionic silver –

Ionic silver solutions are products whose silver content primarily consists of silver ions. Although ionic silver is often marketed as colloidal silver, it’s not true colloidal silver. Because it’s the least expensive to produce, ionic silver is the most popular product in this category. The problem? It simply won’t produce the same benefits that true colloidal silver can.

Silver Protein –

In order to keep large silver particles suspended, silver protein-based products add gelatin. Silver protein is the second-most popular type of colloidal silver product on the market and can easily be made by adding water to silver protein powder. Again, it’s also often marketed and labeled as colloidal silver, but should not be confused for the real thing. Silver protein is less effective for human use, and you won’t experience the true colloidal silver benefits.

True Colloidal Silver –

Lastly, true silver colloids don’t contain any protein or other additives, as the vast majority of the silver content consists of nanometre-sized silver particles. (4)

Skayda
07-27-2016, 12:44 AM
I found a video on YouTube of someone showing how to make Colloidal Silver. Oh and thank you everyone!

https://youtu.be/p0Ucg5hHdb4