PDA

View Full Version : Possible broken leg "help"

UnknownUserr
05-20-2016, 04:17 PM
On May 2 2016, I found a very young squirrel laying on the middle of the road it wasent moving very much so I walked over and picked it up. Ive cared for it the best i no how from what Ive read and such. Well today after his morning feeding,I was cleaning him up a bit and he slid off the counter and I be leave he broke his front left leg. After reading more Ive learned about MBD, now I'm concernd that is why he broke his leg so easily. To this point his diet has been Esbilac and a verity of nuts such as pecans, walnuts almond slivers and KAYTEE Forti-Diet Pro Health rodent block. I just orderd a MBD Treatment Kit from Henry's Healthy pet and I drove to the store and I all I could find that was pure calcium was tums. Well the TUMS are speriment flavored Should I just wait for the MBD kit or should I give him TUMS? and as far as the broken leg will it heal on its own or should I splint it? Any one with experience I would greatly appreciate the help.

HRT4SQRLS
05-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi UKU,
Thanks for helping the baby. I'm sorry that the baby has injured a leg.
First, I'm almost certain that this is not related to MBD. You've only had the squirrel 18 days and you are feeding formula. Their bones are very thin when they are young so a fall can certainly break a tiny bone even without MBD. You do need to stop the nuts though because they aren't healthy, especially for babies.

Are you sure the leg is broken? Does it flop around? Could you post a pic so that we have an idea of the age?

UnknownUserr
05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
HRT thank you for the reply. I'm guessing to the pics Ive seen online he was about 5-7 weeks old when I found him, he was extremely dehydrated when I found him he could barely move so I made a re hydrating fluid and fed him that until I could get him formula. Hes not flopping around or anything like that he just holds his arm there and wont put any weight on it and when he moves he lets it drag. I noticed when I just fed him hes moving it a bit up and down a little. He's sleeping a lot now and not moving around much its been 24 hours since he slid off the counter, the fall was no more then 4ft on to carpet but it happened so fast that i couldn't really tell what happened other then he fell. He was sleeping I didn't want to bother him

Shewhosweptforest
05-21-2016, 10:35 AM
:wave123 I want to say :Welcome and thank you too :bowdown this lil one is lucky to have found you :Love_Icon I agree with HRT ....it may be that your guy just twisted or hurt some soft tissue ..."sprain" I would limit his activity...first so he doesn't aggravate the injury...and just incase it is fractured...you don't want it to worsen and cause his leg to become compromised...they heal very quickly and he probably would not tolerate a splint :( since it's not dangling or at an odd angle it should heal :please but if he jumps on it he could cause more damage...so limited activity :great

:thankyou