PDA

View Full Version : Have you lost a squirrel to "old age"?

Daisey007
05-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wrote in earlier about my 9 year old squirrel Daisy. I'm not yet sure what's wrong with her but I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst. I was wondering if anyone has lost a squirrel to old age, and if so, what was the symptoms and behavior precluding death.

CritterMom
05-18-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't really think that "old age" is a diagnosis...that is, age brings with it a host of awful things that can end life, but it is those things - cancer, infections, etc., and not age itself that causes death. So there wouldn't be any set behavior to really look at. Most people don't have necropsies done on their elderly pets so while they may have actually succumbed to cancer, if it was undiagnosed and not seen by an after death examination, the assumption would be "age."

I hope your girl will perk up. I think the nursing induced low calcium issue is definitely something to look at.

Is this an eastern gray squirrel? I mentioned infant ibuprophen and knowing what she is will give a better idea of her approximate weight so we could dose it for you.