PDA

View Full Version : RE MY Sarc Mange Boy In Boston

SquirrelSense
05-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Leaving in 10 min.. please give best opinion if you can offer help.

If anyone can answer ASAP soon I'm off to Mr. Winks as soon as I can get together his homemade food,, water dish, emergency kit....etc.

Did not want to post another illegible spell-mangled post from the tiny device yesterday, but he was better again from Sunday!. He comes out ASAP instead of a 20 min prayer he will show. He enthusiastically ate his homemade nutrition & some treat pecans and walnuts, but CAME DOWN in the midst of foot traffic to drink fresh filtered water I brought....he was self protective and just ..well energetic.

NOW THE BAD!! Its been very warm UNTIL NOW, it was very sunny...thank goodness as he is 80% hairless from rubbing dead skin and bugs on the bark. Since he is bald (other than his tail which he can not reach to scratch or rub, all there is to his outer laters are the shrinking egg sacks/lumps on very wrikly skin, pulled areas off dead leathery skin (none bleeding though). I assume they were itchy tubules of larvae. They are healing. Non new fur I can see yet. No more bight red bite spots within the crusty folds..

BUT It is now not only rainy.. its a RAW kind of rain..48 F ☔️ and I doubt he has ANY squirrels to huddle with🐿. The next 5 days will be raw rainy 50-52. ⛈REALLY COLD on my semi winter Pea Coat!!! SHOULD HE GET THE 2nd dose now with this bitter cold, no warmth or fur to therm-reg, and a weakened body altogether? Would getting those hatching eggs now before he freezes be a good thing? I know there is NO science to him.. Just want honest input if you've dealt with this. Was planning on day 7 tomorrow..but this weather could be the nail.

My emergency decision....PLEASE HELP DECIDE.....his first med of Ivermectin was WED the 27th. I have read in dire cases (esp the small doses...7-10 is average. Mild cases 14 days. Remember..I am NOT a newbie..35 years of rescue/rehab/release..however, NO pox or sarc mange in all the years in the area I focus on. This IS new to me but so far, amazed he has lived and is improving. Still this is tricky..even for captive squirrels.

SHOULd I rISK a 1/2 to small grain of rice size dose NOW , tomorrow (7 days).. He wont make it 10 with this weather is there are eggs droiing,
He is facing 5 days of no thermo-regulating..no nest mats (thats why he self-imposed/banished himself from his beautiful preggy gals and babies. He is OUTside the limits of the area he lived in ..almost in traffic but goes through the iron gate to hop to the pond if the water I have left gets knocked over.

I AM working on the vids and images regardless of the outcome so we can all learn from this...but seem to only be able to post 10 images...cant relly frag them...want to put up a Mr. Winks flolder