PDA

View Full Version : Release set-up questions

beezer
04-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi there,

I have 9 week old grey squirrels that I've had for over 2 weeks and they are doing great...3 male siblings. I moved them into a tall 4ft cage. They have grown and in the last 2 days have become MUCH more active.

I have read different things about release dates. I'm planning on moving the cage out to our shed in about 2 weeks and then going for a release date around 12-14 weeks - when it warms up a bit (connecticut).

My 2 questions.....they are doing rodent and squirrel block, some sunflower seeds, almonds, they chew on the logs and branches I have in there and some twigs etc. I'm doing formula in a.m. and p.m. When do they wean completely off the formula.

Second, I am about to order nesting boxes. Do I order 3? 2? or 1? If more than one, do I put them all in there now? or at release time?

Can anyone recommend a nesting box company?

Mel1959
04-28-2016, 06:57 PM
There is a section on this forum that gives info. about nesting boxes. A couple of the companies that were recommended were nutsaboutsquirrels.net and coveside.com. You should be able to get an idea of what you need and order one. Make sure you get a predator guard to prevent raccoons and other critters from being able to reach inside and grab your babies. I would get a nesting box ASAP. My guys have had a box inside their large cage in the house for a couple of months and I will transfer it to the release cage, because that's where they sleep every night and that's where they feel safe.

Rhapsody
04-28-2016, 08:58 PM
One large nest box will be fine for the three squirrels to share.
I would not wean the babies, they will let you know when they
are ready wean, which is usually around 3 to 4 months old... this
is when we place them outside in their release cage for 30 days.

Look here for INFO on soft release:
http://mothernaturesrescue.webs.com/release.htm

crazy4squirrels
04-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Please check the diet section. No more nuts...give veggies....broccoli, carrots, butternut squash, acorn squash, romain lettuce