PDA

View Full Version : Whitish/clearish/watery/puffy poo

janiemcm
04-27-2016, 01:15 PM
clearish/whitish/watery/puffy poo

In the fall of 2014, I had a 7 week old squirrel who had this type of poo (Whitish/clearish/watery/puffyish) – and the condition spread to the others in the cage. I ended up losing 3 squirrels that season. They still had a great appetite, but would continue to lose weight. Others started showing symptoms, but by then I’d been able to talk with my vet. He suggested a particular meds treatment. And it worked like magic!! He said to use metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, and Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim. yes – all 3 together. I did:
AM – SMZ & metro
PM - SMZ, metro, & Cipro

It might sound extreme, but I knew that there was nothing to lose – they would die otherwise. It worked like magic! (I had tried metronidazole, albon, Imodium, panacur, nemex, and Ivermectin -they did NOT work). With one squirrel, the poo got better and he started to get constipated, so I cut the metronidazole back by 50%.

Then again, last spring (2015), I got a couple babies from another rehabber. I spotted the same clearish whitish puffy poo and started on the 3 meds immediately. In less than 24 hours, I saw improvement. I found out later that the other rehabber, who had opted to go with a different treatment, lost several babies as a result.

I know I should have put this on the Board last year, but just never got around to it. (lousy excuse) Hopefully, now, it might be able to save some lives – if you ever see this particular poo.

DarkLies212
04-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Any idea at all on what causes this? :thinking

janiemcm
04-27-2016, 04:46 PM
no idea at all on a cause. only to say that it occurred in squirrels in the Philadelphia and Lancaster areas. Luckily, I haven't seen it since last spring. My vet couldn't identify it - just took an educated lucky stab at the treatment!