PDA

View Full Version : What are signs aspiration pneumonia

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 06:30 PM
This may not be life threat yet, but I don't want to let it go and become one. My Dandies ( one blind eye grey baby approx 10 wks?) has been doing great. Frisking, playing, eating solids, and following Snickers every step she makes in the big exercise room. Even this morning she ate well, but as day progresses , I've noticed a big change- she's lethargic, not eager to play- wants to just sit in one spot. No outward occular or nasal discharges, but when I brought her back in the house for closer observation, she does have an occasional ( but not crisis tent) click when she breaths. Normally, in between blocks and veggies, she eagerly gulps down 15 or so ml of Esbilac. Just now I offered her a midday feeding, and she barely took ten cc ( not sucking but licking off nipple- not her at all). I'm worried something happened, perhaps with this am feeding- she was kind of gurgling a little (?eating too fast). What do I need to do? Should I start empirical antibiotics just in case? Or wait a little longer and see if just some sort of self limiting thing? She was the stronger of my two new "special " babies- not the one I would expect to suddenly crash. The clicking by the way is seemingly from her upper airway, I'm thinking?

HRT4SQRLS
04-17-2016, 06:41 PM
If you have lethargy and clicking, there is a very good chance this is aspiration pneumonia. What antibiotics do you have? Ciprofloxacin or Baytril would be best.

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 07:53 PM
I can get baytril oral or injectable

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 08:04 PM
And would it hurt her if it wasn't asp. Pneumonia?

HRT4SQRLS
04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
I would get the oral Baytril.
How is she now? What about the clicking? Are you sure it is clicking? Did she eat anything?

Just trying to find out if it's definitely AP.

No, a course of antibiotics won't hurt her but we usually try to only give antibiotics when we're pretty sure of infection.

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 08:39 PM
She weighs 330g; she would not eat tonight; although she half licked about 10 cc of Esbilac about 2 hrs ago ( normally guzzles 15 or so twice daily ). She just basically wants to nest in her fleece in night carrier with low heat. How do I dose the 22.7 mg tab, or, the small animal injectable? Does this have a high mortality rate :( ?? Like said her RR is rapid, with a popping noise that seems to be coming from her nose ( although no drainages) . She's not open mouthed breathing. But it's got to be a respiratory something

HRT4SQRLS
04-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Sent a PM.

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Not sure how to PM. I have 960 mg SMZ/TMP tab on hand; could I shave off just a tiny piece and dissolve and give by mouth?

Mel1959
04-17-2016, 09:29 PM
No it can't be done that way. H4S sent you a private msg, it should allow you to access it from the top of your screen under "notifications".

Nancy in New York
04-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Not sure how to PM. I have 960 mg SMZ/TMP tab on hand; could I shave off just a tiny piece and dissolve and give by mouth?

If you can't get your private message, I can write it up, put it on the board and delete it.
Let me know if you got the PM from HRT4SQRLS, ok?

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Sorry for confusion, I found the dose , thank you. On another thread I saw where the injectable could be given orally- but if members here prefer the dissolvable tab I will use that

Nancy in New York
04-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Sorry for confusion, I found the dose , thank you. On another thread I saw where the injectable could be given orally- but if members here prefer the dissolvable tab I will use that

I would go with the tablet! :thumbsup

Snicker Bar
04-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Getting her meds now. This is so awful; she was wrestling, eating and playing this morning- and now this. I'm so worried but thank you for quick replies so I can get this started ASAP . Just hope she rebounds, so attached already and her disabled little foster sister needs her.

Nancy in New York
04-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Getting her meds now. This is so awful; she was wrestling, eating and playing this morning- and now this. I'm so worried but thank you for quick replies so I can get this started ASAP . Just hope she rebounds, so attached already and her disabled little foster sister needs her.

Many prayers being sent to your little girl and to you as well. :hug

SammysMom
04-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Good job catching it fast...many prayers for healing and for strength for both of you...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Snicker Bar
04-18-2016, 10:55 AM
HRT4Squirrels, NancyinNY, and Sammy'smom- can't thank you enough for doses and prayers- she is SO much better this morning!! She still has a faint, audible sound when she breaths ,but nothing like last night. She half heartedly took some formula late last night, but this morning she's grouching about the delay in preparing it ! A very good sign, from my perspective lol! HRT4Sqrls thanks again for calculating and posting so quickly, and Nancy for helping me find the post, and Sammy'smom for prayers- together y'all are an awesome 911 team😊

CritterMom
04-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Just make sure you give the full round of meds - no stopping early!

Snicker Bar
04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Yes Ma'am 😊! So relieved , but not quitting ; she sure hates the taste but going to give the full round .