PDA

View Full Version : Juniper not adjusting very well.

niapet
04-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Our new resident Juniper, who is an adult wild female with paralysis from her waist down, just finished her 2 week course of Cipro two days ago and finished her course of prednisone today. She escaped the tub she was in about there days ago and took a small tumble during the escapade.

She has been acting differently the pasteroids few days: more bitey and lathargic. She got her own habitat yesterday but hasn't even explored it yet. She is still on Tramadol but it becomes harder and harder to get her to take it.

I am not sure what is going on with her. There is more than on variable in the situation. Was it the fall? Was it the DC of cipro? Is she just sick of us? Is she regaining some feelings and therefore in pain? If anyone has experience with rehabilitation of paralyzed squirrels I would love any input.

TubeDriver
04-13-2016, 08:35 AM
One possibility is that the steroid was helping with inflammation and pain and that is returning after it was stopped. I know steroid treatment is somewhat controversal but you could continue to treat with steroids for some additional time?

Mel1959
04-13-2016, 07:11 PM
It sounds like a lot of changes all at once. If you could continue the steroids or reverse some of the changes, maybe you can isolate what is going on with her. Did she hit her head when she escaped? I'm just grasping here. :dono