PDA

View Full Version : BLEEDING TAIL/VISION ISSUES IN WILD SQUIRREL

Kaeli
04-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Howdy, folks!

You might remember me from my post about the wild squirrel (Newman) with balance issues (see: here (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?53284-IMPORTANT-INJURED-WILD-SQUIRREL-(BALANCE-ISSUES))). As a brief update, the first delivery of Revolution got lost in the mail and it was reshipped. I received it three days ago, and I finally dosed Newman two days ago (single drop on the nape of her neck). I didn't end up capturing her, but I have been monitoring her daily. I have fed her today and yesterday since the dosing, and she seems to be doing fairly well. Very active.

While the mite issue is getting under control, I still have a few concerns:

I) Her tail is really bald. Like, REALLY bald. She's lost several inches of tail over the years, and it drags on the ground behind her when she walks. She has had a wound on the tip of her tail for several weeks due to frostbite and from the wound repeatedly being torn open on the frozen snow. About a week ago, I found a significant amount of blood outside, and I found her. After watching the blood come out from her wound, I would assess that it was bleeding somewhere on the mid to upper range of "moderately". It has not bled as profusely since then, but I still am concerned. Maybe this is due to the mites or from the cold, but I noticed a reddened/bloodied crusting patch on the upper part of her tail as well. I was thinking of doing a diluted betadine rinse followed by an application of a 3-antibiotic Polysporin ointment. Is this okay? What can I do to prevent anemia as well?

II) She is still wobbling a fair bit when she stands. Ideas as to why?

III) I think something is compromising her eyesight. When I give her food, I see that she relies solely on her sense of smell to find it. She looks confused for a little while as she tries to find the food, and frequently she walks right past it or over it. She seems okay at navigating when walking. When I hold up a nut at a distance of one to three feet, she seems to know that I am gesturing to feed her, although I am not sure if this is just a learned behaviour or if she can truly see me fully. She is an older wild squirrel (five and a half - seven years old) and I don't know if this has a bearing. What could compromise a squirrel's vision? Her eyes appear in good health externally. No pus, wounds, crusting, or any sort of external damage is visible.

IV) What is something more nutritious to feed her? She does not accept vegetables at this time, so I have stuck to almonds, pecans, and walnuts. She took a Picky Block once. I think it's more important that she's eating SOMETHING at this time, but I would like to maximize her nutrition. Sometimes I dust a very small amount of calcium carbonate on a nut I give her. Is this also okay?

Thank you again, everyone, and I hope everyone that helped me can see now that their efforts helped save a squirrel life. Newmie is making progress!! <3

HRT4SQRLS
04-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Thank you for helping this wild friend Kaeli.

Unfortunately, I think what you are seeing is a combination of things that is a 'perfect storm'. You have an older squirrel who is debilitated due to several factors including ... age, mange, anemia, a harsh winter and inadequate food. I see that you're in Ontario. The winter is a tough time for wildlife. Unfortunately, often the weak succumb to the elements. Your intervention can save this squirrel. Without intervention he probably won't make it. The Revolution is a GREAT first step. I would re-dose in a month... maybe sooner. Let's see what others think.

The next step is nutrition. This squirrel is probably anemic from his overall poor condition with mange and the tail issue. If you could get some Henry's Wild Bites or Picky Eater block it could be a life saver. He does need concentrated nutrients at this time especially. The Henry's blocks will provide that. You could also feed avocado. The nuts are fine for a wild but dusting them with calcium is a good idea.

I have a release that has become debilitated 2 years in a row from bot flys. She was in the same condition as you describe. She was wobbly, she circled and she appeared blind. I took her in 2 years in a row and helped her. Both times she was able to rebound completely with, solving the bot problem and nutrition. She is free today. Her vision cleared up and she stopped wobbling. It is possible for this squirrel to recover. :tilt

BUT, let me warn you... this squirrel is VERY vulnerable right now. She is a target for predators. They are very alert to the weak and debilitated. I saw a hawk take a weak, sick squirrel with my own eyes. It was horrible. I don't guess you would be able to bring this one in? It's a tough decision because sometimes taking them in is NOT the right choice either because the stress of capture can kill them. Sometimes we just don't know what the right answer is. :shakehead It is quite possible that the bleeding tail was from a predator like a hawk.

I would at least provide nutrition. Maybe you could provide a nestbox?? I just don't know. :(

Kaeli
04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Thank you for helping this wild friend Kaeli.

Unfortunately, I think what you are seeing is a combination of things that is a 'perfect storm'. You have an older squirrel who is debilitated due to several factors including ... age, mange, anemia, a harsh winter and inadequate food. I see that you're in Ontario. The winter is a tough time for wildlife. Unfortunately, often the weak succumb to the elements. Your intervention can save this squirrel. Without intervention he probably won't make it. The Revolution is a GREAT first step. I would re-dose in a month... maybe sooner. Let's see what others think.

The next step is nutrition. This squirrel is probably anemic from his overall poor condition with mange and the tail issue. If you could get some Henry's Wild Bites or Picky Eater block it could be a life saver. He does need concentrated nutrients at this time especially. The Henry's blocks will provide that. You could also feed avocado. The nuts are fine for a wild but dusting them with calcium is a good idea.

I have a release that has become debilitated 2 years in a row from bot flys. She was in the same condition as you describe. She was wobbly, she circled and she appeared blind. I took her in 2 years in a row and helped her. Both times she was able to rebound completely with, solving the bot problem and nutrition. She is free today. Her vision cleared up and she stopped wobbling. It is possible for this squirrel to recover. :tilt

BUT, let me warn you... this squirrel is VERY vulnerable right now. She is a target for predators. They are very alert to the weak and debilitated. I saw a hawk take a weak, sick squirrel with my own eyes. It was horrible. I don't guess you would be able to bring this one in? It's a tough decision because sometimes taking them in is NOT the right choice either because the stress of capture can kill them. Sometimes we just don't know what the right answer is. :shakehead It is quite possible that the bleeding tail was from a predator like a hawk.

I would at least provide nutrition. Maybe you could provide a nestbox?? I just don't know. :(

Thank you so much for responding!

Believe me, it is very relieving (albeit sad) that you've experienced something similar. What causes the wobbling/sight issues exactly? It was suggested to me that she could have raccoon roundworm, but she has no wry neck. I am very dedicated to her care; I make myself available to scout her out and lure her for feeding daily. I check the neighbourhood every 20 minutes, and it feels like I'm camping a rare spawn in an MMO haha.

She won't pick avocado up on her own, so is there any way I can sneak it into her via nuts? It is probably easy to sneak into food given its softness, but do you have any creative ideas for how to sneak other vegetables into her? What about supplements? She is averse to the Picky Blocks right now. I am also aware of the toxicity of the peel and pit of avocado, and it is 100% naturally-sourced calcium carbonate that I give her (no D3, no phosphorus).

I also have two more pipettes of Revolution for Kittens. I'd be interested to know about dosing too! With the open pipette, do you know if I can I salvage it any way after two days, or does oxidization cause selamectin to degrade? I ordered it online and it was kinda hard to get (long story short: it took me almost two months to receive because the package got lost and they had to ship a new one).

Your story is so, so sad, btw!! I'm sorry you had to witness that (:glomp). I would wrestle a hawk if it was hurting a squirrel, but maybe that is not a realistic scenario. I know there are occasional predators around here, but they're not around very often. I have seen a hawk around here several times over the winter, but I have just gone go out whooping stuff around to scare it off. It seems to work haha. The squirrel also only comes out of her nest at the warmest point during the day (either between 11AM and 1:30PM or between 2:00PM and 3:30PM). While that makes it SAFER, I know that it doesn't make it safe, and so catching her is something I consider often. Thankfully though, I was able to see when she developed the wound and it was following a very cold night/icy morning. She's had frostbite on the tip of her tail in the past too when circumstances were similar. Over the past years, she has had good balance and could climb and run across power lines just fine, but she never really maneuvered her tail? It has always kind of just limply trailed behind her. Maybe you have some insight on this as well?

As for catching her, I'm very worried that it would stress her out too much. I have a cage that is maybe 2.5 ft x 3 ft x 4.5 ft in my garage ready to go in the instance that her condition worsens. Initially I was going to catch her, but her condition improved after a few days and she managed to evade me for a week before I gave up. I tried luring her into a carrier and then into a pressure trap. I also tried setting the carrier down as if it were a temporary nestbox, but she got suspicious and headed back for her nest. I also tried leaving my garage door open with nuts inside and going back into my house, but she refused to go into any closed-in area. She did, however, seem to enjoy sitting on the towel I laid down for her when I fed her, although she was suspicious of me placing it there. She used to come into the back room of my house when she was healthier, but she's been more cautious since becoming ill. Maybe you know if the benefits of catching her outweigh the risks?

I'm sorry for all of the questions and comments too -- I'm just trying to sort all of this out. I'm 21 and I'm still learning about this sort of thing. :grouphug

EDIT: There is one more observation that I failed to mention. She can't crack nuts on her own anymore, so I open them for her. Why might this be the case?

HRT4SQRLS
04-09-2016, 11:12 PM
This is a guess, but in my case I believe the wobbling and poor vision was a result of dehydration. My girl was oozing serous fluid out of the bot fly warbles so I think dehydration was a factor. I think this is probably an issue with Newman. He is probably weak from anemia also. I would think that the multiple issues that Newton has is much more likely cause of the wobbling than raccoon roundworm.

A limp tail is due to an injury at some point along the tail. If the injury is at the base the entire tail can be limp. The tail is an extension of the spine. When the tail is injured severe enough it's like a spinal cord injury with paralysis. The nerves are damaged and the tail is limp. They basically drag it for the rest of their life. It usually doesn't cause problems but it also doesn't serve the functions that it normally does like balance. They also use it as a covering during inclement weather like an umbrella. :grin2

As far as saving the Revolution, I do. It's much too expensive to throw out. I also ordered it online. I read links that said to press as much air out of the vial as possible and resealing it. It also recommended refrigeration after opening. I would put it in a couple zip lock bags to prevent evaporation. Of course, the company doesn't recommend that so this would be 'off label' use of the product.

I think it's good thing that Newton spends a lot of time in his nest. He is much less vulnerable in his drey than out in the open.

The lost ability to crack a nut could be one of two things. Either he's too weak to crack a nut or his teeth are causing a problem. Let hope it's because he's weak and this should get better as his overall condition improves.