PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting a Garden

smurfangel182
03-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Was wondering if anyone ever grew a garden just for their squirrels? Like with fresh green veggies they can pick and feed them. Also what are good plants to plant? Thought itd be a good way to maybe save more on buying fresh veggies all the time.

island rehabber
03-31-2016, 08:01 PM
Was wondering if anyone ever grew a garden just for their squirrels? Like with fresh green veggies they can pick and feed them. Also what are good plants to plant? Thought itd be a good way to maybe save more on buying fresh veggies all the time.

I would grow kale, escarole, and chickory. And sugar snap peas. They love dandelions, so don't weed those out!:grin2 They also love hibiscus flowers and wild rose hips.

smurfangel182
03-31-2016, 08:39 PM
What about alfalfa? I know rabbits love it and its grows wild all around my house.

HRT4SQRLS
03-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Squirrels don't eat alfalfa. I tried to grow some sweet potatoes in my flower beds. Oh, what a mess that was. I'll never do that again. The vines were everywhere BUT I noticed the squirrels were farming the soil everyday. They would scratch the soil off of the sweet potatoes and munch away on the top of the SP still in the ground. They also ate my caladium bulbs. :tap