PDA

View Full Version : Looking for nutritious but delicious foods?

Smee_squirrels
03-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Hi! I have a wild "pet" squirrel named Smee who is super picky. I'm looking to add some variety to her diet, but she won't eat much, and I can't try starving her until she eats good, because she will just dig up a nut. I already feed her pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, avocado, grapes, apples, blueberries, coconut oil, and rasberries. Can anyone tell me some foods their squirrels really like that I could give to her? I want her to live a long healthy life.

astra
03-24-2016, 09:49 PM
generally, squirrels like oatmeal (old-fashioned type, not quick), sesame seeds (excellent calcium content).

WHat you could do is get some old fashioned oats, just not the quick cooking type. Mix with some natural nut butter (almond is better, but peanut will do). Shape into some kind of balls (will be sticky), roll in sesame seeds, refrigerate so that they hold shape better and don't stick as much. Ready to eat. No baking needed.
Ratios - you will have to figure it out for yourself: not too much butter, but just enough to hold the oatmeal together and shape them.

Oatmeal is very nutritious and has anti-cancer properties.
Sesame seeds are nutritiously rich, too, and have excellent cal to phos ratio.

You can make all sorts of variations on this: mix in Henry's vitamins, roll in ground nuts, add organic no sugar added baby food in the mix and so on and so forth.

If you decide to mix Henry's vitamins, just follow the dosage as indicated on the package so as not to "overdose" as too much of a good thing is not good :).

Just a warning - in my experience, when squirrels are used to expecting nuts from you, they may not grab non-nut treats. But if you leave the non-nut treats and leave, they will eat them up gladly.
And I must say that quite a few wild squirrels in the park (i.e., not "regular visitors") liked the oatmeal balls.

Henry's also offer "Wild Bites" - block intended specifically for wild squirrels. Wilds like them and they can be a great supplement during winter and early spring.

I prefer not to feed wilds anything commercially man-made, but that's just my personal preference.
Have you tried mango? Peeled and cored, of course - just flesh. They like mango, too.
Watermelon, bananas (peeled, of course).

Imho, don't go too heavy on coconut oil - there is little research on its long term effects. It is nutritious (and I use it myself a lot :)), but use it very moderately.

But generally, wild squirrels have a far richer, varied diet than we can offer them. You can supplement with wild bites/etc. during winter and early spring when food is scarce. But in late spring, summer and fall supplementation is not really necessary because they have so much to choose from in the wild - much healthier and more nutritious and, of course, natural stuff than any man-made block can offer.
Thus, during late spring, summer and fall you can feed the good tree nuts and fruit as you've been feeding.
Just the only thing - so that they don't become too reliant on your food it may be better to have something like feeding hours (e.g., you put food out in am only, or in am and pm only, but not continuously throughout the day). This way they will continue foraging and eating their natural diet.
But of course, this will depend on your set up and neighborhood.

PS I think pistachios may not be a good choice, esp. if salted. Hazelnuts and almonds are best (and more affordable than decadent pecans :)).

Also, in the past some of my wild squirrels even considered peeled cucumbers (believe it or not). But like I said - I'd reserve "human" greens, veggies and blocks for winter and early spring as during late spring, summer and fall they have plenty of their own greens and veggies - much better than we can offer.

Others will chime in . :thumbsup

Smee_squirrels
03-24-2016, 10:02 PM
generally, squirrels like oatmeal (old-fashioned type, not quick), sesame seeds (excellent calcium content).

WHat you could do is get some old fashioned oats, just not the quick cooking type. Mix with some natural nut butter (almond is better, but peanut will do). Shape into some kind of balls (will be sticky), roll in sesame seeds, refrigerate so that they hold shape better and don't stick as much. Ready to eat. No baking needed.
Ratios - you will have to figure it out for yourself: not too much butter, but just enough to hold the oatmeal together and shape them.

Oatmeal is very nutritious and has anti-cancer properties.
Sesame seeds are nutritiously rich, too, and have excellent cal to phos ratio.

You can make all sorts of variations on this: mix in Henry's vitamins, roll in ground nuts, add organic no sugar added baby food in the mix and so on and so forth.

If you decide to mix Henry's vitamins, just follow the dosage as indicated on the package so as not to "overdose" as too much of a good thing is not good :).

Just a warning - in my experience, when squirrels are used to expecting nuts from you, they may not grab non-nut treats. But if you leave the non-nut treats and leave, they will eat them up gladly.
And I must say that quite a few wild squirrels in the park (i.e., not "regular visitors") liked the oatmeal balls.

Henry's also offer "Wild Bites" - block intended specifically for wild squirrels. Wilds like them and they can be a great supplement during winter and early spring.

I prefer not to feed wilds anything commercially man-made, but that's just my personal preference.
Have you tried mango? Peeled and cored, of course - just flesh. They like mango, too.
Watermelon, bananas (peeled, of course).

Imho, don't go too heavy on coconut oil - there is little research on its long term effects. It is nutritious (and I use it myself a lot :)), but use it very moderately.

But generally, wild squirrels have a far richer, varied diet than we can offer them. You can supplement with wild bites/etc. during winter and early spring when food is scarce. But in late spring, summer and fall supplementation is not really necessary because they have so much to choose from in the wild - much healthier and more nutritious and, of course, natural stuff than any man-made block can offer.
Thus, during late spring, summer and fall you can feed the good tree nuts and fruit as you've been feeding.
Just the only thing - so that they don't become too reliant on your food it may be better to have something like feeding hours (e.g., you put food out in am only, or in am and pm only, but not continuously throughout the day). This way they will continue foraging and eating their natural diet.
But of course, this will depend on your set up and neighborhood.

PS I think pistachios may not be a good choice, esp. if salted. Hazelnuts and almonds are best (and more affordable than decadent pecans :)).

Also, in the past some of my wild squirrels even considered peeled cucumbers (believe it or not). But like I said - I'd reserve "human" greens, veggies and blocks for winter and early spring as during late spring, summer and fall they have plenty of their own greens and veggies - much better than we can offer.

Others will chime in . :thumbsup

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the help. I do have feeding hours-around 3-4. I have not tried mango, but I definetly will now. I can't wait to give her all this new stuff especially the oatmeal balls

astra
03-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the help. I do have feeding hours-around 3-4. I have not tried mango, but I definetly will now. I can't wait to give her all this new stuff especially the oatmeal balls

:thumbsup

Cesta
03-25-2016, 10:11 AM
This is a dumb question, I'm sure... But you're talking about raw oats, not cooked, right?

astra
03-25-2016, 10:43 AM
This is a dumb question, I'm sure... But you're talking about raw oats, not cooked, right?

yes, raw, dry oats (and not a dumb question at all :)).

And definitely try Wild Bites from Henry's, if you can.
Or you can add Henry's vitamins (just follow dosage insructions)

Cesta
03-26-2016, 08:13 AM
I am feeding Wild Bites to my released babies (and the whole neighborhood, it seems!!) I also make my own HHB's. I was thinking of giving my resident squirrel, Luna, a special treat. She's not had oatmeal or nut butter. Thanks for the idea!! :w00t
PS- You should add this to the recipe book thread, or with your permission I'll do it for you. :grin3

astra
03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
I am feeding Wild Bites to my released babies (and the whole neighborhood, it seems!!) I also make my own HHB's. I was thinking of giving my resident squirrel, Luna, a special treat. She's not had oatmeal or nut butter. Thanks for the idea!! :w00t
PS- You should add this to the recipe book thread, or with your permission I'll do it for you. :grin3

Yes, wild bites are great for the wilds.
When you say "resident," do you mean a nr? if so, try giving her some dry oatmeal - she may like it just as it is. Oatmeal is very healthful, so could be a nice addition to an already healthful diet.

These "oatmeal drops" which I recommended are intended for the wilds, primarily. I have never fed them to the indoor sqs because the latter get enough treats :). But of course, you could try giving them as a treat to Luna.
Maybe, she will like them.
But they work well for the wilds, esp. because you can spruce them up with vit. and whatever else you want (e.g., adding some mashed banana will make it a sweet treat).
I had no idea there was a thread with recipes. Sure, if you want to add it - feel free.
Also, I think non-nut treats are welcomed by the wild mostly in colder seasons.
They tend to be pickier when it's warm and nature can offer them so much variety. :)