PDA

View Full Version : Calcium in water

bratann617
03-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Hello! I have made some Hi-protein squirrel blocks using Henry's Protein Powder and Henry's Vita-Mins. My question is, if my Southern Flyer eats the blocks and has a mineral block in her cage as well, should I treat her water with calcium or skip it? I've also read about offering two water bottles, one treated with vitamins (in my case calcium), and one just regular water. Should I do that for her since I am not sure, and then she can pick which water she wants to drink. That way, I figure if she needs the calcium, she will drink the treated water since they are pretty good about consuming what their bodies need. Opinions?

HRT4SQRLS
03-06-2016, 06:37 AM
No, I would not put calcium in the water. Calcium is not particularly soluble in water and it's not necessary. Also, you don't want to put anything in the water that might discourage them from drinking.

As long as your SFS is eating a healthy diet including block it's not necessary. Remember over supplementation is not good either. If you want to add something to the cage that probably will be used, buy a Critter Cone. It is a calcium chew that is shaped like an ice cream cone. The cones in my boys cage have tiny teeth marks where they occasionally chew them.

bratann617
03-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Thank you so much for your reply! I just looked at the packaging for the mineral block I have in her cage and it also has calcium. So I guess she should be good to go. It's always nice to have confirmation from someone that knows what they are doing though. :grin2