PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Houston!!! Three orphan squirrels 2-3wk old

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm very thankful for all the help and advice that I've received in the past on this board. We recently bought a home and moved from an old rental house after 8yrs.

I got a called from the owner of a tree service company today, who did some work in the past for a neighbor. The guy wanted me to pick up the 3 baby squirrels (at our old house) he had in his posession or he would abandon them there. When my husband became aware of the conversation, he firmly told me I couldn't get involved (his reasoning is I already have 2 squirrels) plus all the wilds that I feed. :shakeheadI secretly told the guy if he would drop them off at our street corner and had my daughter pick them up. We currently have them hiding in a closet inside a plastic bin w/half heating pad under it. I don't have Esbilac tonight until tomorrow morning will try to buy. Should I hydrate them first or make them pee? I haven't given anything to them yet. Does anybody have a place or a contact here in Houston who can rehab them? Pictures will follow!

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 12:58 AM
If I can't find anyone this weekend, Is this a good place to take them?

Will go to bed now. Hopefully will get this precious babies some food tomorrow!

Coralreefer
02-27-2016, 12:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm very thankful for all the help and advice that I've received in the past on this board. We recently bought a home and moved from an old rental house after 8yrs.

I got a called from the owner of a tree service company today, who did some work in the past for a neighbor. The guy wanted me to pick up the 3 baby squirrels (at our old house) he had in his posession or he would abandon them there. When my husband became aware of the conversation, he firmly told me I couldn't get involved (his reasoning is I already have 2 squirrels) plus all the wilds that I feed. :shakeheadI secretly told the guy if he would drop them off at our street corner and had my daughter pick them up. We currently have them hiding in a closet inside a plastic bin w/half heating pad under it. I don't have Esbilac tonight until tomorrow morning will try to buy. Should I hydrate them first or make them pee? I haven't given anything to them yet. Does anybody have a place or a contact here in Houston who can rehab them? Pictures will follow!

Geeeeez......

Thanks for doing the right thing and helping these little guys.
People like you are so rare.
You can never go wrong with some hydration IMO.
Especially since you don't have any formula to even give them yet.

Their eyes are still closed so yes they still could use to be "pottied"

I'm in Florida so have no idea about Texas squirrel board friends that may be able to take them for you but I'm sure one of the regulars here will put the word out for you and they'll find someone.
Nice work taking the little guys in. Hope you don't get grounded! :w00t

Coralreefer
02-27-2016, 01:03 AM

It may be an option but from what I've seen here these places can be a toss up.
Some are really responsible and take great care of the animals and then some not so much.

Once morning hits and more people come on the board they'll start putting the word out.
We may have some trusted members in your kneck of the woods that can take them.
Wait to see what can be done in the TSB network and if that does not work out in the next day then take them to a place like that is the path I'd take.

stepnstone
02-27-2016, 02:36 AM
I've sent a PM to the Skuls, hopefully they may know of someone close by. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 08:05 AM
I've sent a PM to the Skuls, hopefully they may know of someone close by. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

Oh ok......!:thankyou:

Nancy in New York
02-27-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm doing a search for members in Houston.
For now, I have a member lookmomchickens
and if I'm not mistaken, she became licensed.
Reach out to her through a pm, and I will send her an email,
with a link to your thread.
Below is from an older post.
Also reach out to Penelope's Mom. She's raised squirrels before and is in Houston as well.

I'm here in Houston/Katy. I have vet access & pain meds.

Let me know what I need to do.

how old is this little girl? Adult?

Edit: I sent both of these members emails.
However, I will be in and out of the house today, so
send them each a pm as well, in case they have questions. :thumbsup

lookmomchickens
02-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Hello!!!! I'm here!!! I personally can't take them at the moment (I have a new human baby), BUT TWRC is a great place to take them. I've taken several there when I'm unable to rehab. I would definitely potty and rehydrate. Thank you for taking them in, I can't wait to start rehabbing babies again!!

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm doing a search for members in Houston.
For now, I have a member lookmomchickens
and if I'm not mistaken, she became licensed.
Reach out to her through a pm, and I will send her an email,
with a link to your thread.
Below is from an older post.
Also reach out to Penelope's Mom. She's raised squirrels before and is in Houston as well.

Edit: I sent both of these members emails.
However, I will be in and out of the house today, so
send them each a pm as well, in case they have questions. :thumbsup

Thanks Nancy,
I have sent a PM to Penelope'smom. Didn't get it to lookmomchiken the box was full?

Nancy in New York
02-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Hello!!!! I'm here!!! I personally can't take them at the moment (I have a new human baby), BUT TWRC is a great place to take them. I've taken several there when I'm unable to rehab. I would definitely potty and rehydrate. Thank you for taking them in, I can't wait to start rehabbing babies again!!

WOW you're fast!
Thank you SO much for responding.
What, no pictures of your little bundle of joy? :tap

Thank you again, you're the best! :hug

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks for responding!:hug I'm glad to get an output on TWRC, maybe that's the route I'll take because I won't have a vehicle to borrow tomorrow. I've hydrated them and stimulated them to pee.

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Will go to bed now. Hopefully will get this precious babies some food tomorrow!

Thanks Everyone,:grouphug

Ill be taking the babies to TWRC rehabilitation center today. I'm sure they have more experience for this challenge and will be in better hands.

SammysMom
02-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Oh what a good job!!! Has your husband found them yet? :grin3

HRT4SQRLS
02-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Thanks for saving the babies. :clap You did a good job despite what the HE thinks.

Yes, I hope you don't get a spanking or grounded or something. :shakehead And, THIS is the reason I'm a happy, content OLD MAID. :rotfl

SammysMom
02-27-2016, 01:54 PM
I forgot to say congrats on the new house! You were still looking when we last spoke.:hug

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 02:12 PM

:grin3 hahaha Nope he didn't he thinks I went to a Tupperware party that a friend invited me today. I wasn't planning on going to that, but used that excuse to leave the house with a shoe box (trio inside :grin2). Drove 40 miles and took them to the TWRC wildlife center (this place was great). I got some paperwork and a resolution # to check on them later.

Nancy in New York
02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
:grin3 hahaha Nope he didn't he thinks I went to a Tupperware party that a friend invited me today. I wasn't planning on going to that, but used that excuse to leave the house with a shoe box (trio inside :grin2). Drove 40 miles and took them to the TWRC wildlife center (this place was great). I got some paperwork and a resolution # to check on them later.

I sure hope that your hubby is not a member of the board. :rolf
Thaks for finding a great place to take these little ones. :hug

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 03:01 PM
I forgot to say congrats on the new house! You were still looking when we last spoke.:hug

Yes, that was the last time we spoke we were still looking for the right home. We finally found it last December and it came with a squirrel nest inside the palm tree. It's funny :secrethow the word got out (free food) for squirrels. I have daily visitors and gave them names:grin3. I think it will be a great place to soft release Nikko and Rocky one at a time. My husband thinks I've never been the same from loosing my beloved Squirrely...of course many can relate to that heartache. He just doesn't seem to understand :argueus squirrel lovers.....duh!!

SammysMom
02-27-2016, 03:13 PM
I know that man loved Squirrelly too... he is likely afraid to care again after that terrible loss. I will never forget that either. It broke my heart that yours was so shattered. I am so glad that you are in the squirrel world now anyway. It does seem that once we are squirrel folks, it never ends. Squirrelly is sending those in need to you for help and you are doing the right thing. It is wonderful that you have found a safe place for help though.:Love_Icon

SquirrelyDad
02-27-2016, 03:20 PM
I know that man loved Squirrelly too... he is likely afraid to care again after that terrible loss. I will never forget that either. It broke my heart that yours was so shattered. I am so glad that you are in the squirrel world now anyway. It does seem that once we are squirrel folks, it never ends. Squirrelly is sending those in need to you for help and you are doing the right thing. It is wonderful that you have found a safe place for help though.:Love_Icon

I'm happy to be surrounded by them :serene.
Thanks, Gayle :hug

Skul
02-29-2016, 06:02 AM
I finally got pointed this direction.
It's good to see they're in good hands.
Nice job.