PDA

View Full Version : Rabies in a wild squirrel?

FeatherPrince
02-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Hello! I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum, but I could find anything better ^^;

The other day my friend was out and was seeing some one behaviour in a squirrel, and I was wondering what it could be.
I know hat rabies is extremelyyy uncommon in squirrels, but when I looked it up and it seemed like it could be, but thought it better to ask anyway because it could very well be something else too.

Anyway, they kept seeing this squirrel out the window and it was repeatedly falling. It would get back up on its feet and then fall over side ways again, straight as a ruler.

They then went outside to see if it was alright and as they got closer to it, it climbed up a tree a dove at her with its legs spread out like it was trying to attack her. She jumped back so it didn't actually touch her but to started to spasm at her feet and then started going towards her dad and was still spazzing and rolling on the ground and jumping really weirdly.

If you know what this could be, or if it was actually rabies, the answer would be very much appreciated, thank you!!

island rehabber
02-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Highly unlikely that it would be rabies. However, more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal). Another possibility is that this squirrel has head trauma from being hit by a car, or falling from a tree. It is in a horrible situation; if someone could trap it and at least bring it to a vet that would be the humane thing to do.

TubeDriver
02-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Highly unlikely that it would be rabies. However, more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal). Another possibility is that this squirrel has head trauma from being hit by a car, or falling from a tree. It is in a horrible situation; if someone could trap it and at least bring it to a vet that would be the humane thing to do.

:goodpost

janiemcm
04-27-2016, 12:26 PM
... more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal).

why wouldn't you recommend trapping and treating the squirrel with ivermectin or pyrantel pamoate in case it was raccoon roundworm? Or is it irreversible when it's this advanced?

TubeDriver
04-27-2016, 02:25 PM
At this stage, the damage has been done. The roundworm larvae have encapsulated themselves in brain tissue and the immune system response is causing inflamation in the surrounding area which makes the symptoms worse.

why wouldn't you recommend trapping and treating the squirrel with ivermectin or pyrantel pamoate in case it was raccoon roundworm? Or is it irreversible when it's this advanced?