PDA

View Full Version : Treating Pox, and how to best stop it from spreading

blackbranches
02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Hello everyone

It's unfortunate that this is my first post here, but I need some help. I live in a suburban area with a smaller yard, but we have a densely wooded backyard with plenty of hickory trees (so, plenty of squirrels!) I have two bird feeders out on the porch, and, over time, the squirrels have gotten quite comfy eating there (which I expect, and appreciate - I have always loved squirrels!)

Over the past month or so I have noticed what I believe to be a bit of mange pop up in our local squirrel population - the low point has been having one slowly die on our front porch about 2-3 weeks ago, and having to watch the poor thing suffer :sadness Obviously distressed by the entire situation, I have tried to take whatever steps I can to make sure that my population is ok, stop the spread of the disease, make sure they are getting whatever they can to fight the sickness, etc.

Over the past week, though, I have seen two squirrels with what I believe to be the dreaded pox. I know that this a deadly disease, and its spread could really wreak havoc on the group. I know there are many threads on this topic (obviously, I am posting in a section of the forum dedicated to it!), but what is the best way to move forward in treating/containing it?

I have been trying to feed them each at least one of these veggie squares a day http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/squirrel-veggie-squares.html
which are made of rice cereal, ground pecans, sesame flour, brewer's yeast, dolomite calcium, vitamin C, alfalfa powder, salt, cod liver oil, and raw organic coconut oil (and bound with applesauce)

alongside a bit of the birdseed (black oil sunflower, and I believe they eat a bit of the safflower), and organic walnuts and pecans. Should I be making changes to their diet in this hard time? It's also a northeast Ohio winter, which hasn't been too cold this season but the past week or two have been quite harsh. I have emptied the feeders and feed them on the porch and throughout a bit of the front yard, in hopes of spreading them out a bit more, and trying to sweep up all leftover seed, and disinfecting the porch with a mix of water, vinegar, and soap once a day. Should I move towards stopping feeding altogether? I don't want to but am very worried about spreading the pox (I was already very concerned about the mange, but I know the pox is even more hideous)

I have a heated birdbath I recently disconnected and stopped filling, as one of the ones with pox was starting to roll around in it, and I did not want to further spread it through the water. I know this is recommended often
http://www.caoh.com/liqimbarecbe.html
so I didn't know if it would be worth it to purchase some and get the bird bath filled again.

I've attached pictures of the two below, just to be safe. I apologize, I know my message is long and winding, but I have honestly been a wreck the past few weeks, watching the poor babies suffer, and I want to do everything I can to help them along in this tough time.

blackbranches
02-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I also have pictures of two others, which I hope just have mange, and that the sores on the one are just from scratching. The first one pictured, with the bald top half, is also very small :sadness

DarkLies212
02-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Welcome to TSB! :Welcome Thank you SO much for caring about your little backyard friends!
I'm so sorry they're (and you!) are having to go through this! Pox knowledgeable folks should be on soon :hug

blackbranches
02-18-2016, 01:42 PM
thank you - if there's one thing I learned from skimming through the board over the past month, it's that there is an amazing group of friendly, knowledgeable people here :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
I will direct CritterMom to your thread.
She is working now so she won't be on the board until she gets home this evening.
She has had GREAT success with treating wild squirrels with pox! :w00t

CritterMom
02-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Oh my. The first guy is very ill. The first of the two in the next post has both pox - that round sore - and secondary mange. The third guy looks like mange alone but I can't see the other side. Those round sores are earlier pox lesions.

I don't KNOW that much about pox and I don't think anyone really does. My understanding from reading about it is that it doesn't really pass from squirrel to squirrel without a mosquito vector - that is, a mosquito bites one squirrel with pox then bites a healthy squirrel and transmits the virus to the healthy one. Like viruses often do, I think it can sit dormant in their bodies for some time, then stress lowers the immune system and the virus has an opening and this is the result. I think that the winter cold is a common stress on them and that accounts for the winter outbreaks.

So the best way to protect the others is to do everything you can to boost their health and immune system - provide lots of good, healthy food, go ahead and use the CAOH stuff in the water.

The sick squirrels can be treated but...it is a huge commitment. You need to be able to treat the SICK squirrels daily for a long time - 6-8 weeks - and you can't just toss a bunch of medicated food out and leave it. You have to be able to sit out and toss food to individual squirrels so you can dole out the "medicine treats" to the sick ones and something else to the others. Daily. If you can do that I would be happy to send you some info on specifics.

The guy in the first pic likely will not make it, with our without meds. By the time it becomes this invasive it unfortunately is also doing this inside the body. Poor baby - it is such an awful disease...

blackbranches
02-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Oh my. The first guy is very ill. The first of the two in the next post has both pox - that round sore - and secondary mange. The third guy looks like mange alone but I can't see the other side. Those round sores are earlier pox lesions.

I don't KNOW that much about pox and I don't think anyone really does. My understanding from reading about it is that it doesn't really pass from squirrel to squirrel without a mosquito vector - that is, a mosquito bites one squirrel with pox then bites a healthy squirrel and transmits the virus to the healthy one. Like viruses often do, I think it can sit dormant in their bodies for some time, then stress lowers the immune system and the virus has an opening and this is the result. I think that the winter cold is a common stress on them and that accounts for the winter outbreaks.

So the best way to protect the others is to do everything you can to boost their health and immune system - provide lots of good, healthy food, go ahead and use the CAOH stuff in the water.

The sick squirrels can be treated but...it is a huge commitment. You need to be able to treat the SICK squirrels daily for a long time - 6-8 weeks - and you can't just toss a bunch of medicated food out and leave it. You have to be able to sit out and toss food to individual squirrels so you can dole out the "medicine treats" to the sick ones and something else to the others. Daily. If you can do that I would be happy to send you some info on specifics.

The guy in the first pic likely will not make it, with our without meds. By the time it becomes this invasive it unfortunately is also doing this inside the body. Poor baby - it is such an awful disease...

I know, seeing him (and all of the others) has broken my heart over the past week or so, and given me more than a few good cries. I would like to do whatever I can to help them, so please let me know the best course of action. I have been sitting in our living room looking out the front windows for hours while I work on my laptop, keeping an eye on who is coming and going, who I can get the squirrel bites to, etc, so I think I can try to treat them (thankfully I work from home). I have actually been giving ivermectin to the handful with mange, making sure to individually throw it to certain affected squirrels, taking pictures and making notes of their appearance, so I think the treatment shouldn't be too different. I will order the CAOH right now - what do you recommend as a healthy diet for wild squirrels? Again I have been doing a mix of organic walnuts, pecans, black oil sunflower seed, safflower, and these squares
http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/squirrel-veggie-squares.html

Rocky1
02-18-2016, 09:22 PM
You need Acyclovir FAST for squirrel pox.

After reading a great deal of posts about squirrel pox, the most effective remedy is to provide the correct dose of Acyclovir ASAP. Both finding a tablet of Acyclovir from a person and figuring out the dosing have proven difficult for people in the past. Squirrel pox is a virus and will have the greatest response to anti-VIRALS. Acyclovir is ideal.

Post #4 in this thread contains helpful information, http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?22872-can-someone-please-explain-squirrel-pox-to-me

Rocky1
02-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Regarding Feeding/Watering

If possible, I would try to spread out any food so that they are not all eating out of the same container and spreading germs.

Food Example: Food scattered across a lawn will allow multiple squirrels to eat without contaminating one-another or another's food.

Water Example: To me, if possible, multiple sources of running water makes the most sense. Multiple sources mean that they are less likely to all drink from the same place. Running water is better than just a bowl, because germs can be washed away. A sprinkler might work, but then again, it's cold which makes this more difficult. Or running water through your rain gutter on the roof, if they can get up there, might work.

Shewhosweptforest
02-18-2016, 10:25 PM
First...thank you blackbranches for caring for your little wild friends :bowdown I'm so, so sorry they are suffering through this :sadness it is heartbreaking to hear about...much less watch it happen in your yard..to your friends :hug I'm praying that you are able to help those who are able ...to make a full recovery and that for those who don't :shakehead that their suffering is short lived :boohoo I'm crying with you :grouphug

blackbranches
02-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Regarding Feeding/Watering

If possible, I would try to spread out any food so that they are not all eating out of the same container and spreading germs.

Food Example: Food scattered across a lawn will allow multiple squirrels to eat without contaminating one-another or another's food.

Water Example: To me, if possible, multiple sources of running water makes the most sense. Multiple sources mean that they are less likely to all drink from the same place. Running water is better than just a bowl, because germs can be washed away. A sprinkler might work, but then again, it's cold which makes this more difficult. Or running water through your rain gutter on the roof, if they can get up there, might work.

I'm going to switch to spreading the food all throughout the yard today - I was doing a mix of part the yard and the porch, but I am super worried about them spreading it on the porch. I have been immensely sick to my stomach after yesterday, when I threw a squirrel block out to the one pictured in my second post and it accidentally bonked her, fell to the ground, and another squirrel came up and ate it. The squirrel who took it is the one I'd call my friend (his name's Scrappy), and has been coming around since late summer. He has some sort of a cleft lip, and walks with his head tilted a bit - a real goofy dude that I love to death. I'm just trying to stop the spread as much as possible, obviously, and I don't want anything to happen to him - we've been through a lot

Getting a hold of the meds looks like it might be difficult, as I don't know anyone on them. I'll look and see if there's anything I can manage online

Carol Lynn
02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm going to switch to spreading the food all throughout the yard today - I was doing a mix of part the yard and the porch, but I am super worried about them spreading it on the porch. I have been immensely sick to my stomach after yesterday, when I threw a squirrel block out to the one pictured in my second post and it accidentally bonked her, fell to the ground, and another squirrel came up and ate it. The squirrel who took it is the one I'd call my friend (his name's Scrappy), and has been coming around since late summer. He has some sort of a cleft lip, and walks with his head tilted a bit - a real goofy dude that I love to death. I'm just trying to stop the spread as much as possible, obviously, and I don't want anything to happen to him - we've been through a lot

Getting a hold of the meds looks like it might be difficult, as I don't know anyone on them. I'll look and see if there's anything I can manage online

OMG. Just read your thread and saw all the pictures. Sorry that I have no practical advice to offer, but you can be sure that I will be sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way. Good idea to spread the food around. So sorry to hear about what happened when you tossed a squirrel block to that one. What a freak thing to happen. Keep a close eye on Scrappy. At least if he's one of your regulars it will be easier to treat him if need be. What a nightmare disease that is! God bless you for helping these little guys!!

blackbranches
02-19-2016, 08:30 AM
OMG. Just read your thread and saw all the pictures. Sorry that I have no practical advice to offer, but you can be sure that I will be sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way. Good idea to spread the food around. So sorry to hear about what happened when you tossed a squirrel block to that one. What a freak thing to happen. Keep a close eye on Scrappy. At least if he's one of your regulars it will be easier to treat him if need be. What a nightmare disease that is! God bless you for helping these little guys!!

Yes, it grazed her side just the slightest - hopefully not enough to transfer anything. I've just been a total mess, it's the most heartbreaking thing to watch. Our youngest cat just got over a nasty, weeks-long sickness during Christmas, and the relief afterwards has just been replaced with the horrible situation outside

blackbranches
02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
Here's two more I'm worried have it - now I feel like at least a few that I believed were just mange have the beginnings of Pox too :sadness

Carol Lynn
02-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, it grazed her side just the slightest - hopefully not enough to transfer anything. I've just been a total mess, it's the most heartbreaking thing to watch. Our youngest cat just got over a nasty, weeks-long sickness during Christmas, and the relief afterwards has just been replaced with the horrible situation outside

I can certainly understand - I would be a mess, too, if I had to see anything like that happening to my guys. Looking at those pictures just broke my heart. Those first two were just so, so sad. I can't even imagine how horrible it must be to see that happening outside your door! Just when you thought you were out of the woods with the cat, right? So sorry!! Hang in there! They're really lucky to have someone like you looking out for them!! Sorry for you, though, that you had to be the "chosen" one...

Spanky
02-19-2016, 08:50 AM
I want to re-emphasize a few points CM made:

What you positively can do that will absolutely be great help to them is provide healthy food and a fresh, clean water supply (changed out often) along with the CAOH. I think the importance of fresh clean water is overlooked. Not having to forage and being able to stay in the relative safety of their drey will give their system more time to fight off the disease.

It is possible to treat them for mange and that would help and give a better fighting chance against pox. But as CM said it is critical that you are able to control which squirrels get “dosed” and which do not since in this case, it can be fatal if any one of them get a double dose. I would not even attempt this unless you are committed to ensuring none get overdosed. Keeping very good notes of which have received their dose (and when) is a must. The treatment for mange would kill lots of other types of parasites if they are present and that too could only be a plus.

Spanky
02-19-2016, 08:56 AM
"... when I threw a squirrel block out to the one pictured in my second post and it accidentally bonked her, fell to the ground, and another squirrel came up and ate it."

This is exactly the type of thing that must be avoided if you decide to treat for mange since if one gets two of the medicated treats, it could very well be fatal. If you have doubts about being able to treat the squirrels individually, you may want to stick to the less invasive treatments (food, water, COAH, etc.). Do they ever come around all by themselves or is it always in a group? If in a group, what happens if you don't spread the food out... do they come one at a time? It could be just the act of putting food out is like ringing a dinner bell (I know that that is exactly what it is when I fill the feeding stations here).

blackbranches
02-19-2016, 11:59 AM
"... when I threw a squirrel block out to the one pictured in my second post and it accidentally bonked her, fell to the ground, and another squirrel came up and ate it."

This is exactly the type of thing that must be avoided if you decide to treat for mange since if one gets two of the medicated treats, it could very well be fatal. If you have doubts about being able to treat the squirrels individually, you may want to stick to the less invasive treatments (food, water, COAH, etc.). Do they ever come around all by themselves or is it always in a group? If in a group, what happens if you don't spread the food out... do they come one at a time? It could be just the act of putting food out is like ringing a dinner bell (I know that that is exactly what it is when I fill the feeding stations here).

The blocks aren't medicated in any way - when I did my last round of Ivermectin treatment back on Sunday I kept very clear notes, along with photos of the squirrels, as I know that ANY overdosing of the meds is extremely harmful. If I throw a nut out with medication and the squirrel doesn't get it (I always target throw), I make sure to go get it and bring it back in right away.

As for feeding, they usually trickle on over throughout the day, between 930AM - 230PM. It's pretty rare to see them out there on an individual basis - usually it's at least three in a (relatively) closer vicinity. Today I spread the food out throughout the yard, which kept them a bit further apart, but also makes it more difficult for me to get a chance to single out squirrels for meds and blocks. I would still rather try this than bring them together, as I am obviously trying to contain the pox more than anything else. I know those few with it are going to have a rough go :sadness

Spanky
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
The blocks aren't medicated in any way - when I did my last round of Ivermectin treatment back on Sunday I kept very clear notes, along with photos of the squirrels, as I know that ANY overdosing of the meds is extremely harmful.

I missed where you had said in the post last night that Ivermectin treatment had already started. :embar

Have you seen any improvements in those dosed last Sunday? :dono

blackbranches
02-19-2016, 04:10 PM
I missed where you had said in the post last night that Ivermectin treatment had already started. :embar

Have you seen any improvements in those dosed last Sunday? :dono

Oh no worries! It seems like a few are starting to grow a bit more of their hair back, but the one with bad mange and a few pox lesions is still scratching pretty heavy. Still hanging around for food - she seemed a bit lethargic yesterday but better today. I almost thought she was going to let me come near her yesterday, as I got about a foot and a half away, but about 15 seconds later she seemed to snap out of it, chirped at me, and ran. We did manage to take one in to a great rehab facility here in Northeast Ohio about a week ago - she was lethargic enough to let us get near and not resist, but spunky enough when we took her out of the cage that she had a good chance at making it. We were so worried that she was going to freak out during the car ride, but she kept calm (I know captivity can sometimes stress them out beyond belief, so we were very nervous, but glad we made that choice). She didn't appear to have pox, just a slight bit of mange - we're waiting to hear back on how she's doing.

blackbranches
02-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately the one we took in didn't last the night - they were very surprised, as she didn't seem to be in terrible shape. I also haven't seen the one that I first posted in over a day, I'm worried she passed recently too :(

My CAOH should be coming Monday or Tuesday, but I'm concerned about using it - I have a standing bird bath and a heated one on the ground, and with the snow melting today, I'm thinking they will flock to it and might spread it more there. Any opinions?

Also, in terms of food - is there anything else anyone could recommend for them? I'm leaving a bit of seed, walnuts, and pecans scattered throughout the yard, and trying to throw the veggie squares out to particular ones (worried to just leave them out, as I figured one squirrel might eat a whole handful, AND a few of them don't like the squares - I would hate to see a sick one pick up and nibble on a block, only for a healthy one to come up and finish it)

Thank you everyone, again, for all of your help - I am so glad that this forum exists, with such wonderful people.

JLM27
02-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Acyclovir worked for Binky here in my back yard, but I had to prepare a large dose for him everyday for two and a half months. I wet it and smeared it on a pecan half and then covered that with agave syrup (He didn't like honey or maple syrup, go figure) WE struggled together because sometimes he wouldn't take it and other times he didn't show up. I got him into a routine finally of eating his loaded pecan first and then giving him a pecan in the shell, which he adores. Somehow he got the idea that he had to eat his medicine pecan first and then he would get what he really wanted. He is a little scamp, though. He is little, but he is good at slipping in and around the bruisers to get his share. He still has his buddy and they play intensely all day in the trees outside my window.

Spanky
02-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Also, in terms of food - is there anything else anyone could recommend for them? I'm leaving a bit of seed, walnuts, and pecans scattered throughout the yard, and trying to throw the veggie squares out to particular ones (worried to just leave them out, as I figured one squirrel might eat a whole handful, AND a few of them don't like the squares - I would hate to see a sick one pick up and nibble on a block, only for a healthy one to come up and finish it)

Henry's has an excellent product and the "Wild Bites" would likely be a "wild hit" with your wilds.
http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

blackbranches
02-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Acyclovir worked for Binky here in my back yard, but I had to prepare a large dose for him everyday for two and a half months. I wet it and smeared it on a pecan half and then covered that with agave syrup (He didn't like honey or maple syrup, go figure) WE struggled together because sometimes he wouldn't take it and other times he didn't show up. I got him into a routine finally of eating his loaded pecan first and then giving him a pecan in the shell, which he adores. Somehow he got the idea that he had to eat his medicine pecan first and then he would get what he really wanted. He is a little scamp, though. He is little, but he is good at slipping in and around the bruisers to get his share. He still has his buddy and they play intensely all day in the trees outside my window.

Aww that's so adorable, I'm glad you were able to treat Binky :w00t I should be able to start the Acyclovir within the next few days, so hopefully I'll be able to help at least a couple of them.

Thanks Spanky - I've seen the Henry's Wild Bites posted a lot here on the forum, and figured they were probably pretty close to the veggie squares I've been using - couldn't hurt to have more food options for them! I didn't know if there would be anything else to supplement something like those, or if those on there own did a pretty good job at providing a healthy mix of nutrients.

Sitting around today, keeping an eye out on the yard, I unfortunately saw a few more with what looks like the beginnings of the disease :( I'm guessing, but maybe those with more experience regarding the fibroma could let me know for sure (I obviously want to make sure for when I start the medication, that I'm treating as many as I can and treating the right ones) The first two are the same squirrel - at first I thought mange, but it looked like there might be a few small bumps in the vertical shot. The squirrel in the third picture has what looks to be a growth by his left ear - nothing else, but it doesn't look like a good growth :( The one in the fourth..I know it's pox, and relatively advanced - far more so than any others (barring the ones in my initial posts)

Scrappy didn't come around today, but he does that often, skipping a few days here and there (had me so worried when he was gone for over a week, then he springs around the corner like it's no big deal!)

Fireweed
02-21-2016, 01:08 PM
:thumbsup

I've been following along but not posting. I hope you're able to stop this from spreading. I wish you the best.
It's tough to see so many of your friends suffering like that. :hug

Did you start the treatment yet? Let us know how it goes!

blackbranches
02-23-2016, 10:56 AM
:thumbsup

I've been following along but not posting. I hope you're able to stop this from spreading. I wish you the best.
It's tough to see so many of your friends suffering like that. :hug

Did you start the treatment yet? Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Fireweed! I should be getting the meds today, so I'll get that going right away. Somehow the squirrel I first posted, with the worst case of pox, is still hanging around - she didn't stop by for a few days so I figured she didn't make it, but she started coming back yesterday. I'll be trying the medication with her, but I feel like it'll be a long shot for the poor little one :(

Most of the others that I think have it look like it's just a lesion or two, so hopefully the meds will stop the spread for them. It looks like a few of the squirrels that have been coming by might just have mange still - trying to keep those separate from those with pox, and those with both pox and mange, is going to be tricky for sure. Thankfully I have a pretty good telephoto lens with my camera, so I'm just going to continue with photo and written descriptions for all that are medicated. I have some veggie squares in the oven right now (love that smell!), along with some Henry's Wild Bites coming in the mail, so I'll have a huge batch of healthy food for all.

janiemcm
04-17-2018, 12:42 PM
I've used CAOH in the past to boost immune system - particularly in Pox squirrels. CAOH is no longer available - not being made as of April 2018 (now). Does anyone know what else I can use? maybe a liquid version of Echinacea? any particular brand that you know of that would be safe for squirrels? Thanks for any help! -Janie

cava
04-17-2018, 05:18 PM
This link is very informative:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?60028-Stormhaven-Garden-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Pox-Protocol-Trial-2017-case-4&highlight=runestonez

Diggie's Friend
04-17-2018, 09:38 PM
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57594-Pycnogenol-possible-source-of-help-for-the-healing-of-lesions-from-Squirrel-Pox&p=1262656#post1262656

janiemcm
04-19-2018, 07:00 PM
This link is very informative:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?60028-Stormhaven-Garden-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Pox-Protocol-Trial-2017-case-4&highlight=runestonez

thanks for this link. quite the recipe! Maybe I should give it a try...