PDA

View Full Version : Hi, help with wild squirrel

NancyJean
01-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Hi, I have been feeding a wild squirrel for three years now. Four years ago, my husband used to say that he saw a squirrel with no tail and first thought "Houdini" was a bunny. My husband and kids named her that bc she obviously escaped something. We all have become so attached to Houdini, hand feeding her a couple times a day. Recently, poor little girl came around not being able to walk or run like she normally does, sort of like in a daze, to the point where I could probably pet her. She takes a few steps then rests, takes a few more, then rests. She is eating well: walnuts, grapes, avocados, pecans, pistachios, almonds and peanuts. What should I do? I don't want her to be eaten.

NancyJean
01-29-2016, 06:05 PM
a pic of Houdini

SammysMom
01-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Have you looked to see if there is a rehabber near you? It sounds like your friend needs some help. Do you see any marks or wounds as though she maybe was hit by a car or fell?

HRT4SQRLS
01-29-2016, 08:38 PM
:wave123 NancyJean
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Thanks for helping Houdini. It is possible that she hurt herself. I have seen them fall from a tree. While she is weak, she is vulnerable to capture by a predator. Does your community have feral or outside cats?

It's also possible that Houdini might be calcium deficient if she gets most of her food from you. While it is uncommon in wild squirrels, calcium deficiency is a possibility if she depends on your offerings for the bulk of her food. I know this is hard to believe but nuts are actually unhealthy for squirrels if it's the bulk of their diet. They are high in phosphorus and cause calcium to be leeched out of the bones. A squirrel deficient in calcium will get weak in the rear legs to the point of dragging the legs. It's a condition we see often on this board in pet squirrels that are living inside.

This is something I would try to rule this out. I would get some calcium carbonate powder (without Vitamin D) or a crushed Tums. I would dip her avocado in a little of the powder. Do this for a few days and see if the walking improves. If you want to you could even buy a bag of squirrel blocks made especially for wild squirrels.
http://www.henryspets.com/wild-bites/ They are peanut based but they are full of protein, vitamins and minerals. One or two blocks per day would supply all of the needed vitamins and minerals. Even if it's not calcium deficiency, the extra nutrients
would be helpful during this time of convalescence.

If you have feral cats in your area, I would probably try to trap Houdini for a few days to get her back on tract. Of course, you would need a cage so that might not be an option. You have to be careful trapping a wild squirrel. Sometimes just the stress can be very detrimental to a wild squirrel.

I hope Houdini gets better soon. Thanks for helping her. :grouphug

BigNibbler
01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
That is an urgent situation. Ignore what people say about metabolic bone disease not possible in wild squirrels.
If she gets most of her diet from you, and its mostly nuts or fruit like you describe it is very possible.
If she knows you so well, you might be able to get her to come into a window, of a room that is not cluttered and that does not have much which could be damaged.

If you are attached to her, this is what you may want to do, ASAP.
Probably not much more time.
Get repcal calcium carbonate micro powder and coat all her foods.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS96GLE?keywords=repcal%20without%20d3&qid=1454126289&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
ONLY give her almonds and cut them for greater surface area so you can dust them with the powder.

If she trusts you she will appreciate your help, but yes she will panic when trapped. You would have to let her out of the trap almost immediately inside of a room that you are willing to get trashed a bit.

She will freak out, but will calm down after a few days.
She needs water and a cardboard box with holes on opposite sides and lots of paper and good foods.

As I write this I am assuming a few things:
You are in a state where this is legal.
You are not worried about getting bitten.
You will be dressed in multilayered clothing and have scarf and big glasses in case she jumps on you.
You will regret not doing anything.

She needs a good diet.
quiet, safe place.

She needs weeks to get better and the right diet.
And she needs safety from birds, cats, dogs, cars, kids, and other squirrels.

It would be ideal if you could find a rehabber qualified and experienced with mature squirrels and with the right experience in this.

ON EDIT: Just noticed you say you are in NJ. That is not a legal state.
Ignore what I said - hopefully a licensed rehabber near you can help.