PDA

View Full Version : hi from Wally's momma

Wally's momma
01-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. We have a male Eastern Gray Squirrel abt 5-6 months old. His name is Wally. I took in Wally and his brother in August. They were dehydrated and in poor condition. His brother did not make it overnight. Wally was a fighter and did. Wally would not open his eyes, even though he was old enough and his brothers were open, for a few days. When he did his eyes were cloudy. Over the course of a few weeks, one would swell and the other did and then drained. He stabilized after that and now seems normal, except he isn't visual. At times I think he may see some shadows up close, but not much. He has a great memory and runs around like crazy, and at first you don't realize he can't see. He doesn't jump however. Ive raised several sets of babies but always released them when the time came. That's just not gonna be an option with Wally. We are prepared to keep him for his entire life. My 9 yr old has become very close to him. I have a few questions, and thought some people with more experience maybe could help, so here I am :grin2

My first question is now that he is getting a little older and more mature, he is changing some. His nibbles are becoming harder. Is there a way to let him know that this is not acceptable? I'm a veterinary assistant and used to kittens and pups, lol. I don't think a harsh tone is effective. Sometimes if I blow in his face a little puff he stops for a second, but not very effective either. A tap on the nose? Bitter apple on my hands? Is there something that works?

Next question is about his sexual maturity. I'm worried as a boy with hormones he may start getting wild and biting etc. Whats normal adolescent male behavior? If they get a balanced diet and enough exercise and attention, will he stay friendly? Is neutering an option? Is it risky if so? Does it help?
Any guidance would be appreciated!

CritterMom
01-01-2016, 11:36 AM
You will likely go through a bit of a rough patch as he matures - all of those hormones dumping into his system all at once. All you can really do is protect yourself with gloves if need be and learn his signals so you don't get caught. I actually made a face mask out of a metal sieve to protect my face from my boy! He calmed down though and other than being a bit of a jerk a couple times a year (his "boy" time) he is a munchkin now.

He likes to spend time with you and that is your leverage. The instant he bites too hard, pick him up, put him in his cage (NO DRAMA though - no yelling - nothing) and walk away for an hour. Don't go see him, don't talk to him through the cage - just walk away. You are taking away what he craves most - your company - and if you are CONSISTENT he will quickly learn that biting = being alone.

Wally's momma
01-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks! Putting him in his cage is in "time out" is what we are doing now. Its very reassuring to know that in the end he will get the message!:w00t

Wally's momma
01-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Are there certain times, such as spring, when they get more rambunctious? Mating times I would assume?

Chickenlegs
01-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Hi Wally! Hi Wally's mama. The fact he can't see might make him bitier than he would be if he was sighted. He'll go in the direction of something he wants to go after but if you're in the way :eek! And then--yeah--he's a boy!

KarmaKay
01-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. We have a male Eastern Gray Squirrel abt 5-6 months old. His name is Wally. I took in Wally and his brother in August. They were dehydrated and in poor condition. His brother did not make it overnight. Wally was a fighter and did. Wally would not open his eyes, even though he was old enough and his brothers were open, for a few days. When he did his eyes were cloudy. Over the course of a few weeks, one would swell and the other did and then drained. He stabilized after that and now seems normal, except he isn't visual. At times I think he may see some shadows up close, but not much. He has a great memory and runs around like crazy, and at first you don't realize he can't see. He doesn't jump however. Ive raised several sets of babies but always released them when the time came. That's just not gonna be an option with Wally. We are prepared to keep him for his entire life. My 9 yr old has become very close to him. I have a few questions, and thought some people with more experience maybe could help, so here I am :grin2

My first question is now that he is getting a little older and more mature, he is changing some. His nibbles are becoming harder. Is there a way to let him know that this is not acceptable? I'm a veterinary assistant and used to kittens and pups, lol. I don't think a harsh tone is effective. Sometimes if I blow in his face a little puff he stops for a second, but not very effective either. A tap on the nose? Bitter apple on my hands? Is there something that works?

Next question is about his sexual maturity. I'm worried as a boy with hormones he may start getting wild and biting etc. Whats normal adolescent male behavior? If they get a balanced diet and enough exercise and attention, will he stay friendly? Is neutering an option? Is it risky if so? Does it help?
Any guidance would be appreciated!

Hi! I'm Larry's mom and he's around the same age as Wally. Plus he's an Eastern Grey as well. Larry was fortunate enough to be healthy and he actually goes inside and out. He's deciding he wants to be outside and sleep out there as well. I definitely think it has a lot to do with mating season as Larry is a little rougher too. I just thought I'd say hi!