PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing and runny nose--help!!

Wheaton
12-28-2015, 05:59 AM
On Christmas Day, we found 2 squirrels in the side yard, one with it's head but off, and then the mother dead in front of them in the street from getting hit by a car. We found the nest (in a tree as high as our house) that they must've fallen out of bc they were under it. It's 80 degrees here and was on Christmas so it hasn't been cold for him. We took the only alive 3 1/2 week squirrel. He now seems to have a runny nose and sneezing--making noises in sleep with mouth when breathing,( not constantly but every other time he breaths he is, it's not a clicking sounds I think, I'm not sure. It's coming from his breathing) not sure if it's because it's nose is stuffed up or not? We have kept him in a shoe box full of towels and fuzzy socks and hot hands warmers. He seems to maybe be bloated too, I've rubbed his private areas and he's peed. I'm so worried about him, I've been up all night making sure that he's okay and he just keeps sneezing and having a runny nose. I feed him 3CC of kitten formula every 3 hours and he has been loving it and always drinking all of it. I just have been looking up for hours, if I should use any antibiotics for the sneezing and runny nose, and if so.. What kinds? I cannot get in touch with any vets for him. I need help asap, because if this is somehow pneumonia then I want to do anything and everything soon to save him and what antibiotics to buy and how to use them for him. Please anyone help, I'm so scared for this baby. And I'm scared of these noises he's making, I just can't tell if it's pneumonia or not because it does not sound "darth vadar like" ):

CritterMom
12-28-2015, 06:30 AM
First, you need to change formulas. The kitten formula is not good for squirrels - cats are carivores. Esbilac puppy formula - the powdered kind in the can - will be in the same area of the pet store as the kitten formula was and is what the little one needs.

Please get a heating pad - try a CVS - and get the kind WITHOUT the auto shut off. The hot hands are really not good for this.

He needs to be fed with a 1cc syringe - anything larger will cause him to aspirate formula, which is likely what has happened. At CVS, go speak directly to the pharmacist - tell them you are trying to nurse a newborn kitten - and beg them for a 1cc. To feed, they syringe tip should be pointed UP at the roof of their mouth, and you do not hold them on their back like a human baby. Hold them either on their tummy or upright like a standing human.

Cipro is a very common antibiotic for urinary tract infection in humans. Ask everyone you know to see if they have any - you only need ONE pill. If you can't find that, see what you CAN find. We need to know the name of the drug, the size in milligrams, and we need to know the weight of your baby. We MUST have this to dose. A gram scale for weighing food can be found at Walmart or any kitchen store for less than $20.

Where in SC are you? We may have someone in the area who can help you. Babies are very expensive and time consuming - they need feeding ROUND THE CLOCK, caging, expensive foods, etc...