PDA

View Full Version : Help! My squirrel's head eyes, jaw and neck are all swollen like some kind of allergy

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 07:37 PM
He's breathing ok, can't swallow though and has been on Baytril for the past 3 weeks.

Spanky
11-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Can you post a picture?

Why was he on Baytril? Three weeks is a very long time to be on antibiotics.

Also, if you could share details on diet, everything he eats regularly. Diet is always helpful and more ofthn than not a source of problems.

Shewhosweptforest
11-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Can you post a pic? Also explain how this all started.....you said maybe allergic reaction...did he eat something new, was he exposed to something different? For it to go on for 3 weeks it sounds more like an injury...can you see his teeth? Why did you decide on baytril? Sorry for all the questions...it just helps to know the background history....hang tight...answer as many questions as possible and post a pic (if you can) :grouphug

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Do you have Benadryl?

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Can you post a picture?

Why was he on Baytril? Three weeks is a very long time to be on antibiotics.

Also, if you could share details on diet, everything he eats regularly. Diet is always helpful and more ofthn than not a source of problems.

He lost a toe 2.5 weeks ago and it's all healed up but that's why the Baytril. He's old. We've had him 4 years. He eats: Nutballs, avocado, Green Mush, Pedialyte, sesame seeds, pepitas, walnuts, baby food occasionally.

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 08:13 PM
So he was on the Baytril before he lost his toe? What was he on it for? Three weeks is really too long for an antibiotic though...

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Do you have Benadryl?

We have pill form 25mgs but he can't swallow. What's the dosage for an adult fox squirrel 1.7lbs? We'd consider it in a liquid form with an eyedropper.

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Can you post a pic? Also explain how this all started.....you said maybe allergic reaction...did he eat something new, was he exposed to something different? For it to go on for 3 weeks it sounds more like an injury...can you see his teeth? Why did you decide on baytril? Sorry for all the questions...it just helps to know the background history....hang tight...answer as many questions as possible and post a pic (if you can) :grouphug
We put a small drop of Visine in each eye 5 hours ago. That's the only new thing. He LOVES avocados and has eaten that recently. Does anyone know if an accidental sliver of pit or skin from an avocado can cause the head to swell up especially on one side? (He does have a "slow growing" Odontoma on one side and already had one removed from the other side.)

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:35 PM
We put a small drop of Visine in each eye 5 hours ago. That's the only new thing. He LOVES avocados and has eaten that recently. Does anyone know if an accidental sliver of pit or skin from an avocado can cause the head to swell up especially on one side? (He does have a "slow growing" Odontoma on one side and already had one removed from the other side.)

This just started at 4:30pm PST NOT 3 weeks ago.

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Did he eat avocado pit and/or peel? They are toxic and I would think might be able to cause a reaction. Did a vet tell you that you could safely use Visine?

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:37 PM
So he was on the Baytril before he lost his toe? What was he on it for? Three weeks is really too long for an antibiotic though...

No. He lost the toe 2.5 weeks ago and has been on Baytril since. It's the Odontoma we think.

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Did he eat avocado pit and/or peel? They are toxic and I would think might be able to cause a reaction. Did a vet tell you that you could safely use Visine?

Nope. We were stupid but his eyes were already looking bad. And yes, he could have gotten a touch of pit by accident though we know it's dangerous and are VERY careful . . . had him 4 years so far.

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't use the Visine again. I am not sure what is in it, but it may not be safe for a squirrel. Keep pushing fluids in case of toxicity. Drop by drop due to the lack of swallowing. The tissue in his mouth should absorb it.
Can you get Childrens Benadryl? 12.5mg/5ml is the strength you need. Do you have a 1cc syringe on hand?

Joyce Crabbe
11-19-2015, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't use the Visine again. I am not sure what is in it, but it may not be safe for a squirrel. Keep pushing fluids in case of toxicity. Drop by drop due to the lack of swallowing. The tissue in his mouth should absorb it.
Can you get Childrens Benadryl? 12.5mg/5ml is the strength you need. Do you have a 1cc syringe on hand?

Sure. I'll run up to the store for Children's Benedryl right now. Should have had that already darn it. Yes, we do have all sizes of syringes. If he makes it through the night, he will see his vet tomorrow. Thanks! We'll do tiny drops of water absorbing into his tongue tonight.

Oh yes, we will NEVER give him any medication without checking with a vet first!

Shewhosweptforest
11-19-2015, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry I thought this was going on for three weeks...:crazy1 follow SammysMom's advice...I would make an emergency run for Benadryl.....I sure hope he responds....push fluids as SammysMom said..I'm praying for you all :please :Love_Icon

Shewhosweptforest
11-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Sure. I'll run up to the store for Children's Benedryl right now. Should have had that already darn it. Yes, we do have all sizes of syringes. If he makes it through the night, he will see his vet tomorrow. Thanks! We'll do tiny drops of water absorbing into his tongue tonight.

Oh yes, we will NEVER give him any medication without checking with a vet first!

:Love_Icon

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Thank-you for getting that. Better for him than trying to break down a pill in water because of his swallowing issue. I will figure a dose and PM it to you.

SammysMom
11-19-2015, 09:46 PM
If you could post a pic of him or even text one to me to post (203) 214-7427 it would be helpful. Just to clarify, if he is 4 years old, he isn't "old" he is a young squirrel for a captive squirrel.

Mennome
11-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Has anyone used liquid prednisone in this type of situation before?

missPixy
11-20-2015, 02:50 PM

so, you've probably re-examined his mouth to make sure the rest of his dental situation is all good? none of his teeth are out of alignment or growing up into the roof of his mouth, right?

maybe that odontoma is changing/growing/doing something to cause this?