PDA

View Full Version : Wild Foods in Winter?

ShadowTailSquirrel
11-03-2015, 09:55 AM
So winter is steadily approaching here on the East Coast. I have my first ever group of overwintering eastern grays, and I'm wondering what you all might suggest for feeding wild foods in the winter time?

island rehabber
11-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Rose hips are a favorite.....also hickory nuts and black walnuts if you've got any left.
I always cut fresh branches for the kids, every few days, even if there are no leaves on them.
Stay away from all those pretty viney things like bittersweet and the other ones whose berries are blue and purple -- most are toxic to squirrels and it's very hard to differentiate between those and the 'safe' ones.
Buds of any kind will be welcomed.

ShadowTailSquirrel
11-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much for the tips! I was a little worried it would be difficult to find anything, but we definitely have a lot of rose hips & many trees.

Rexie
11-06-2015, 10:56 PM
are dried rose hips ok? Exotic nutrition has them.

island rehabber
11-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Yes, if your guys will eat them. I found that I got a 50/50 response to the dried ones, but those that I picked right off rosebushes were a major hit. :grin2

island rehabber
11-07-2015, 06:46 AM
If you want to spend a bit more but have VERY happy squirrels, get them some imported chestnuts. There are growers online that sell them for way less than the stupid grocery stores (who ask for up to $7.00/lb!!) Since there's always the danger of mold with chestnuts, just like with acorns, you should ALWAYS slice the chestnut in half before feeding it to your squirrel. If there is even a hint of a dark spot inside, throw it out. My NR Owena loves them so much and they are a healthy, filling natural food.

I see you're in the Hudson Valley -- you may have horse chestnut trees growing up there and can offer those to your squirrels as well. Most of the wild horse chestnut trees here in the NYC area succumbed to a blight years ago and are gone. :(

Mennome
11-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Yes, if your guys will eat them. I found that I got a 50/50 response to the dried ones, but those that I picked right off rosebushes were a major hit. :grin2

Dibble really likes the dried rose hips I gathered this year from my own (non-sprayed) heirloom rosebush. I'm now ordering a pound of organic rosehips to see if he likes those also. Perhaps he will throw it back at me and prefer the homegrown variety....we will wait and see!

Rexie
11-22-2015, 07:43 PM
got the dried rose hips from exotic nutrition, BIG HIT...

Mennome
11-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Wonderful! Healthy too!