PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Enki!

enki
10-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Introducing not myself actually but one of many a wild squirrel I've had fortune to meet over the summer. He's a blonde so he was easily distinguishable at first encounter. I've provided a ink so hopefully others might appreciate his ability to respond to cues and perform a silly trick. What's interesting is this is the first time an unattended camera is placed in selfie mode next to him so in effect this is footage of his mirror phase; as he stares back at the camera he is actually looking at his own image for the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EzcuXcTV8

CritterMom
10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
That is so cute! Welcome!

When I set my squirrel's enclosure up, I added a large metal and wood parrot swing. It is purple and has all kinds of stuff hanging from it and the parrots took one look at it and recoiled in sheer horror! So I hung it in the squirrel cage. He tried swinging on it but he didn't like that at all. So he decided to use it as his BURNING HOOP OF FIRE. It hangs in the middle of this giant enclosure, and his rule is that if he wants to go from the front of the cage to the back, he MUST do it by jumping through the BURNING HOOP OF FIRE. He will be in one end of the enclosure, 4 feet from the front of the cage, and will run 10 feet down to the middle so he can jump through the hoop. Every time.

I think squirrels like hoops! But I love that this one has trained you to give him treats. How long did it take you to learn that?

enki
10-28-2015, 07:23 PM
That is so cute! Welcome!

When I set my squirrel's enclosure up, I added a large metal and wood parrot swing. It is purple and has all kinds of stuff hanging from it and the parrots took one look at it and recoiled in sheer horror! So I hung it in the squirrel cage. He tried swinging on it but he didn't like that at all. So he decided to use it as his BURNING HOOP OF FIRE. It hangs in the middle of this giant enclosure, and his rule is that if he wants to go from the front of the cage to the back, he MUST do it by jumping through the BURNING HOOP OF FIRE. He will be in one end of the enclosure, 4 feet from the front of the cage, and will run 10 feet down to the middle so he can jump through the hoop. Every time.

I think squirrels like hoops! But I love that this one has trained you to give him treats. How long did it take you to learn that?

I didn't want him in my kitchen lest the other squirrels also got wise and started territorial marking in there, so once he understood my gestures, the rest was all him. He definitely put in the time figuring me out. When I put up the hoop he got it on the second try.

stosh2010
10-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Introducing not myself actually but one of many a wild squirrel I've had fortune to meet over the summer. He's a blonde so he was easily distinguishable at first encounter. I've provided a ink so hopefully others might appreciate his ability to respond to cues and perform a silly trick. What's interesting is this is the first time an unattended camera is placed in selfie mode next to him so in effect this is footage of his mirror phase; as he stares back at the camera he is actually looking at his own image for the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EzcuXcTV8

Beautiful squirrel...great jump moves...but I did NOT see him looking at the camera.