PDA

View Full Version : rose of sharon bushes

Rexie
10-14-2015, 10:31 PM
are the rose of Sharon bushes related to hibiscus? and are they ok for squees to eat? Buds and flowers

stepnstone
10-15-2015, 12:37 AM
are the rose of Sharon bushes related to hibiscus? and are they ok for squees to eat? Buds and flowers

It is...
Scientific Name: Hibiscus syriacus
Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses

I would not give to a squirrel. :nono

Chickenlegs
10-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks Step. My guys love shredding Rose of Sharon sticks (specially in the winter when green wood is scarce) and they really like the seedpods. Eeeek! Rethink!!!!!!!!!!!!!

island rehabber
10-15-2015, 07:10 AM
Just to annoy everyone, I've been giving rose of sharon buds and flowers to my squees for years. It started after I saw Big Mama, a scary old female who ruled our property for years, munching on them along the side of the condo building. I started bringing them in for my rehab guys and never had a problem. :) :dono
Same with hibiscus: the wilds eat the buds and the dead flower heads.

stepnstone
10-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Just to annoy everyone, I've been giving rose of sharon buds and flowers to my squees for years. It started after I saw Big Mama, a scary old female who ruled our property for years, munching on them along the side of the condo building. I started bringing them in for my rehab guys and never had a problem. :) :dono
Same with hibiscus: the wilds eat the buds and the dead flower heads.

Don't find that annoying at all, live and learn...
We know squirrels are different with sometimes being compared to other mammals
if for no other reason then there's no real research on a "common" list that's going
to include squirrels. Soooo there you go Rexie and CL, feed away... :great

Chickenlegs
10-15-2015, 10:38 AM
My guys will breathe easy. Of course this means I can't just chop back all the RoS ths fall. Gotta keep enough to get everybody through the cold months when nothing good grows outside

stepnstone
10-15-2015, 07:52 PM
My guys will breathe easy. Of course this means I can't just chop back all the RoS ths fall. Gotta keep enough to get everybody through the cold months when nothing good grows outside

I had them all around my property in Pa. before I "had" squirrels,
they are hearty.... now your going to have me looking for them
around here. :gigg

Rexie
10-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I grow hibiscus and roses for him (not for me) lol . I have 2 rose of Sharon bushes and they really do look like the hibiscus plant. Good news something new for him to enjoy. Rexies mom

Mennome
10-15-2015, 11:14 PM
I was wondering this also, as my rose of Sharon are just loaded this year. Thks.